+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Acquires Boxee In Order to Compete with Apple's Push to the Living Room

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Acquires Boxee In Order to Compete with Apple's Push to the Living Room

Samsung appears to be stepping up its rivalry with Apple up a notch as a new report indicates that the tech giant recently bought streaming media startup Boxee in a move that will bring it into a more direct competition with the Apple TV. For those of you who aren’t aware, Boxee produces a set-top box that streams media to TVs and other devices. Samsung has supposedly purchased the small Israeli startup for about $30 million according to The Marker and will be keeping the company’s 40 existing employees.

A follow-up report from the The New York Times has confirmed the information provided by the original, with Samsung affirming that it has indeed acquired both the assets and the talent from Boxee. The degree to which Boxee will be brought into Samsung’s existing operations is unclear from the statements that have been made so far. According to a Samsung spokeswoman:

Samsung has acquired key talent and assets from Boxee. This will help us continue to improve the overall user experience across our connected devices.
    Up until now, Boxee has raised $28.5 million in funding as a startup and the company was said to be looking for an additional $30 million before it decided to try for an outright acquisition. Samsung already has several devices that perform similar functions to Boxee’s technology but the talent and tech acquisition could be aimed at helping Samsung develop better options to compete with the Apple TV set-top box. The Cupertino California company has sold millions of units of the content streamer while Samsung’s existing efforts have comparatively died down.

In addition to its HomeSync and other set-top devices, the company produces a range of Smart TV options that hit many price and capability points. Samsung could also be integrating Boxee’s technology into the functions of those devices in order to better their capabilities. Samsung could also be working on a shortened calendar when it comes to countering a larger imminent move by Apple.

We’ll have to see whose efforts pay off more as Apple has been confirmed to be working on entering the living room as well.

Source: The Marker via The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

If I was Tim I would have bought Boxee long ago and then turned out the lights.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A good call from Samsung.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    If I was Tim I would have bought Boxee long ago and then turned out the lights.
    Then, I'm sure 'somebody' would try to sue Apple for creating a monopoly...

Lose-Lose situation

Thanks

Isn't boxee primarily a hardware company? I thought it just runs a modified version of xbmc...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, AT&T couldn't buy TMobile, but Samdung can by everything under the sun. US needs to stop worrying about a monopoly, we will end up with a bunch of medium size businesses that can't compete against Asian (do what you want) companies.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Bah, I like my roku 3 better than both those devices.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

I see this more as feature integration into their TVs and smartphones than set top competition. I also see them scrambling to get something on the XBox One interface since it's so heavily media-centric.

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

This is smart. This is what the cable companies need to do as well if they want to stay relavant. Right now, when I sit in front of the TV it's like going back in time 20 years. If the cable companies want to stay relavant they need to scramble fast to update their UI. If they sit on their hands much longer they're going to wake up one day and find out someone has done an end run around them.