+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Closing in on Deal with Time Warner Cable for TV Programs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Reportedly Closing in on Deal with Time Warner Cable for TV Programs

Both Apple and the U.S. cable company, Time Warner, appear to be closing in on a deal that will give subscribers access to cable channels via Apple TV. The same deal claims that Apple has taken on Hulu media marketing chief, Pete Distad, to help secure content as well. Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg broke the news to the public. As of right now it is unknown as to which channels will be offered and when the deal will be struck but access will likely be for existing cable subscribers only.

Although a Time Warner Cable spokesperson recently said that the company has “no agreement with [Apple],” it has similar content deals in place for Roku’s set-top box, as well as Microsoft’s Xbox gaming console. The company already gives subscribers access to watch certain channels on iOS devices with its TWC TV app, which is also available for the Android platform as well.

The publication claims that Apple has hired Hulu’s now former vice president of marketing and distribution, Pete Distad, to help executives with upcoming negotiations with cable and media companies. No further details regarding the executive’s hire were made but Distad’s biography in Hulu’s website mentioned that he was in charge of ‘subscriber acquisition and retention, paid on-channel, and brand marketing, distribution and promotional partnerships, and content marketing.”

The recent news indicates that Apple is becoming increasingly aggressive when it comes to acquiring content for what it calls its “hobby.” This was seen in the past as well when the company added channels such as HBO Go, WatchESPN, and more to its streaming device. We’ll have to see if the changes pave the path for the company to make a stronger presence in the living room.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Wonder if this will have any impact on BrightHouse Cable users?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would for the first time in a decade be happy with cable if I didn't have to use the junk Texas Instruments or Samsung box's the cable companies offer now.

Everything about the service cable provides is outdated. I can't wait until they open the flood gates and Apple can provide all content through their equipment.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Until these thing are independent of paid cable subscriptions they are worthless to me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Villebilly View Post
    Until these thing are independent of paid cable subscriptions they are worthless to me.
    Just like your iPhone is independent from any similar service...Welcome to the new world bud.
    El Zurdo