Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Escapes The British Tax Man Again?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Escapes The British Tax Man Again?

Apple didn't cough up much to jolly old England in corporate taxes last year. More specifically, perhaps, it paid ZERO corporation tax in the United Kingdom in 2012.

Although some are up in arms about the matter, Apple really doesn't have to defend itself given the presence of circumstances clearly in the company's favor (and within the letter of the law), according to a report Monday from Forbes.

First, all iTunes sales are actually made in Luxembourg. Why? The VAT rate there is lower and one of the peculiarities of EU tax law is that “electronic services” pay VAT in the country they emanate from.

Second, for sales outside the US, Apple apparently buys the equipment from the manufacturers in China through an Irish company. Today's explanation from Forbes indicates that the equipment is then sold to other dealers, distributors, or Apple Stores around the world. "Prices are such that the stores don’t really make much money," Forbes reports. In fact, the margins pretty much cover the actual fixed and variable costs of having stores and making sales.

The final part is in those operating profits in the UK. The fact is that operating profits are not what are taxed: profits before tax are what are taxed. And issuing stock to the management is a part of doing business.
    If anything is clear from today's report, it's that there is arguably no company of Apple's size in the world that's better at crunching numbers and doing business in a way that benefits the bottom line to an unbelievable extent.

Source: Forbes

Thanks

Whoever designed this saved Apple billions. I'll bet anyone here that he is not earning more than 1 million a year.

I can't wait for Samsung to copy this…

If Samsung doesn't, PC will.

Shows that Apple is as bad as Google, Amazon and Starbucks when it comes to paying UK tax

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-02-2013)

Yeah, as a British citizen it's somewhat galling that I have to pay £1000's a year in tax and apple / google etc pay sweet bugger all. C'mon Cameron crack down on this and close the loophole

8. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-02-2013)

What's your point?

that our tax laws are poor and need a radical revise
    Last edited by dsg; 07-02-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Thanks

I agree^^. Yet, with Apple they seem to throw stock options around as they are more valuable in the end...for now that is.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-02-2013)

Tax avoiders are rouges in anyone's language! Money grabbers!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Albut For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-02-2013)