+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Pursuing 'iWatch' Trademark in Japan

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Is this the smoking gun that offers definitive proof of Apple's forthcoming iWatch product? That's what some are wondering today as word emerges from Asia that Apple is pursuing ownership
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Apple Pursuing 'iWatch' Trademark in Japan

Is this the smoking gun that offers definitive proof of Apple's forthcoming iWatch product?

That's what some are wondering today as word emerges from Asia that Apple is pursuing ownership of the iWatch trademark in Japan. According to Bloomberg's report Monday morning, Apple has been seeking ownership of said trademark for close to a month now.

The iPhone maker is seeking protection for the name, which is listed in a category for products such as a handheld computer or watch, according to a June 3 filing with the Japan Patent Office that was made public last week. Takashi Takebayashi, a Tokyo-based spokesman for Apple, didn’t respond to a request for comment.
    According to individuals in the know, Apple's intelligent touchscreen smartwatch is getting closer to mass production. In May, MMi reported that the company is now chiefly concerned with reading the device's 1.5-inch OLED screen.

It is believed but not confirmed that longtime Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn will be in charge of the product's early production run. Sources in the Asian supply chain have similarly reported that Foxconn is involved but those claims could merely be speculative considering that Foxconn largely remains Apple's go-to manufacturing partner for almost every new mobile product launch or refresh.

In recent months, we've heard chatter that Apple has assigned dozens of its best and brightest engineers to build the ultimate smartwatch.

“We can expect a full TV at Apple in the future, maybe a watch, and who knows what other future devices,” Tavis McCourt, an analyst at Raymond James & Associates Inc., wrote in a research report today, according to Bloomberg. “New connected devices, whether they are TVs, cars or other devices are likely to be first adopted by high income consumers, over whom Apple dominates globally.”

Source: Bloomberg

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Whether they're making one or not, it just makes sense to grab the name...but hopefully we'll see something from them!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Next the iCar. Then the iDoor. And last but not least we can't forget the iToilet. Listen to music while you s**t and have the seat remember your a**cheek imprints to log you into the respective user or set favourite playlists accordingly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (07-01-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my iOS devices but I will be the first person to pass up a watch that needs daily recharging. Some things just need to work even when you miss a night of charging.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    I love my iOS devices but I will be the first person to pass up a watch that needs daily recharging. Some things just need to work even when you miss a night of charging.
    It may not need daily charging. Look at the pebble but I guess the screens could be different..... Anyone rem solar powered watches?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Too many company already have Computing device with round corners strap to wrist, so poor Apple can only trademark the name.

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    It may not need daily charging. Look at the pebble but I guess the screens could be different..... Anyone rem solar powered watches?
    Solar power will not produce enough power required by the watch, even with lithium battery will not last that long. My guess is a recharge will be required once every 2 days at maximum efficiency. Swappable battery pack like my mouse maybe? Even then it is a hassle. Rather just stick to my analog watch that require battery change once every couple of years.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-01-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks

Actually it might run on "stupid" then you'd have all the power you'd need for years to come.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    My guess is if they roll something out like this it would have wireless charging capability. When you take your watch off each night and set it on your dresser like you do with a normal watch, you simply lay it on the wireless charger sitting on your dresser.

That seems to be the only way a rechargeable watch could succeed. And I'm sure if I thought of it in 2 seconds just now, the engineers at Apple have already thought about it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM View Post
    My guess is if they roll something out like this it would have wireless charging capability. When you take your watch off each night and set it on your dresser like you do with a normal watch, you simply lay it on the wireless charger sitting on your dresser.

That seems to be the only way a rechargeable watch could succeed. And I'm sure if I thought of it in 2 seconds just now, the engineers at Apple have already thought about it.
    You are talking about induction charging, and no that would not work.
    I stay out on weekends often and too often I've found myself without my charger for my phone, it is hard enough remember to bring phone charger I am not going to bring 2 charging devices everywhere I go and no I am not buying multiple chargers.