+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Rumored to be Preparing Smart Watch and Game Console to Compete with Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Google Rumored to be Preparing Smart Watch and Game Console to Compete with Apple

According to a recent report from The Wall Street Journal, which cites sources who claim to be familiar with Google’s console and watch plans, the tech giant is rumored to be preparing the release of both an Android-based smart watch as well as a dedicated game console. The moves are meant to counter Apple’s rumored entry into both wearable gadgets and the living room.

Apple seems to be inching closer to penetrating the living room with its advances in the area of gaming. A number of sources speculate that the company could open up the APIs on the Apple TV to allow it to function as a gaming device. Most recently, the company began working with Logitech and Moga on gaming controllers that are seemingly compatible with both the iPhone and the iPod Touch.

Games on both the Android and iOS platform are becoming increasingly popular and profitable, with revenue from the mobile gaming segment being several times that of portable consoles from traditional gaming giants such as Nintendo and Sony. As of right now, Google’s Android operating system already powers three-quarters of all smartphones shipped worldwide with 56.5% of shipped tablets, according to market research firm IDC. If Google’s console does materialize, it would currently share the Android console gaming space with Ouya, a $99 console which began shipping this month.

As far as word of an Android smart watch, not much information is known beyond the ability it boasts to connect to Android smartphones wirelessly. Sources didn’t reveal a feature set or possible applications of the rumored device.

As of right now, Google is said to be developing both the console and the watch device within its own Google X hardware unit, separate from Motorola which Google had acquired last year. In addition to the console and watch, the search giant is also working on the next version of Android, likely to debut as version 5.0 and tout the name Key Lime Pie (according to rumors). The debut of this version is likely to come at Google’s I/O developer conference. According to The Wall Street Journal, the next iteration of the Android operating system is likely going to attempt to mitigate the problem of fragmentation in the Android ecosystem. If accomplished, this would be a huge advancement for the Android platform.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Previously known as weedsmart
    Thanks

Oh look, a new source to be spied upon

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highboi For This Useful Post:

*T* (06-28-2013), Silverado1987 (06-28-2013)

Thanks

I just don't see this going anywhere. I have a smart phone..now I need a watch. I don't even wear them. My G Shock is still in the case haha. Smart phones are getting to be the size of tablets and you want me to play games on a small little watch? Silly to me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I just don't see this going anywhere. I have a smart phone..now I need a watch. I don't even wear them. My G Shock is still in the case haha. Smart phones are getting to be the size of tablets and you want me to play games on a small little watch? Silly to me.
    I wouldn't want a smart watch to play games on, but if Google can get Google Now on my watch, I'd be very happy with that. From a glance at my watch I can see my SMS, emails, the local weather, how my stocks are doing, driving time to work/home, track my packages, upcoming appointments and alarms when to leave my house, etc. It should just be a companion, not a replacement.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    I wouldn't want a smart watch to play games on, but if Google can get Google Now on my watch, I'd be very happy with that. From a glance at my watch I can see my SMS, emails, the local weather, how my stocks are doing, driving time to work/home, track my packages, upcoming appointments and alarms when to leave my house, etc. It should just be a companion, not a replacement.
    Uhhh, too lazy to pull out your phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    Uhhh, too lazy to pull out your phone?
    Well, it would be quicker... I mean on iPhone: you need to get out your phone, find google, Open it, and scroll down. Watch: look, Done.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Don't they mean to compete with Sony since Sony is about the only one who has officially announce a smart watch. All we have from apple are rumors.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Google preparing to compete with Apple?
    How in the hell are Google preparing to compete with Apple when Apple does not have a Smart Watch or Games Console to compete with?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (06-29-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

+1 for Google

Thanks
    Thanked 11,307 Times in 2,723 Posts

You know. Different devices for different people for different needs. I think it is great. Because it produces competition. Which in turn makes company strive to be greater. So we. As the end user. Get more bang for our bucks I will probably never own one. But thankful someone is pushing back