+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Swing and a Miss for Apple's Latest Ad

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default A Swing and a Miss for Apple's Latest Ad

You could sense the pride among Apple executives when the company's latest "Designed by Apple in California" ad was unveiled at WWDC 2013. But a new consumer survey shows that the ad just isn't resonating with viewers yet. In fact, it's nowhere close to resonating with the masses as Apple had hoped.

In other words, "designed in California" doesn't seem to carry the same weight of "made in America."

Apple had intended for the ads to energize its customers and slow market share gains by Samsung Electronics Co. while it prepares new versions of the iPhone and iPad, people with knowledge of the matter said earlier this month.
    The ad has earned the lowest score of 26 Apple TV ads in the past year, according to new info presented by Ace Metrix Inc., a consulting firm that analyzes the effectiveness of TV ads via consumer surveys.

"The ad scored 489 on the company’s scoring system," Bloomberg reported Thursday, which is "below an industry average of 542 and far below past iconic Apple campaigns that often topped 700."

“Apple was never a company that bragged about itself,” said Edward Boches, a professor of advertising at Boston University. “In a manifesto ad, it’s hard not to come across as self indulgent. And even though it suggests the wonderful things Apple products can do, the ad lacks joy.”

Source: Bloomberg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Made in America or Made in the USA?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raxal View Post
    Made in America or Made in the USA?
    Made in the USA, silly americanos,

America is the continent.

Thanks

Apple..stop trying new schemes, the old ones still work. If you scored low on campus, what makes you think the public thought any different?? Anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's because we all know what follows those 5 words, "Assembled in China".

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge2232 For This Useful Post:

*T* (06-27-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Whoever in Apple actually suggested that a new ad campaign will energize Apple's consumers while we wait for the new devices should be fired. I've never been amazed by any of Apple's ad's and certainly never been more content to wait b/c of one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Personally i think this is one of the best ads Apple ever came up with. I don't expect the ad to resonate with the masses because most people don't care what Apple stands for. Most people with an iphone still use a windows PC, most with a mac use it to seem cool - the point being that majority travel skin deep and no more. I am sincerely hoping that this ad will resonate with people who really appreciate how fantastically simple, convenient and subtle an iPhone/ipad/mac/apple tv is and why is it so. I also hope these are the people who will turn the pages again and again to this and ask others to do the same.

p.s.: I watched the ad before I read the article, like most of recent modmyi articles, this one lacks a moral character too. picking up something from Bloomberg without even adding a shred of value to it - now that's journalism of the masses.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abchoudhry For This Useful Post:

*T* (06-27-2013), fanboyfanboy (06-28-2013), SpidermanAPV (06-27-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post

Really? Since when? How come I didn't get the memo when they created a new continent called America?

Thanks

Bloomberg forgot to mention that Ace Matrix latest client is....any guesses?.... Samsung!!

http://verynicewebsite.net/2013/06/m...urce=pulsenews

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post

Actually, "North America" is the Continent silly idiot.

America and the USA are the same.

Thanks

Steve Jobs would have never let this ad even get off the drawing board. It a obvious sign that "purely" a board of members approved this ad and completely lost touch of the originality that the first apple ads had. I didn't even know it was an apple ad until the very end, the writer of this article was correct, it lacked joy, humor, witty lines and just felt.....empty..almost "robotic" in a sense. It was the worst apple ad I've seen to date in my opinion. A definite miss in my book

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yohomie View Post

+1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Source
    Quote Originally Posted by yohomie View Post

Where did you take that from? Can you give as a source?

There are different opinions about the number of continents. Specifically about "The Americas", some people refer to them as only one continent, others as two (North + South) and others as three (North + Central + South).

Maybe "America" for USA citizens is a shortened form of "United States of America", but it may be so only in your colloquialism.
    You also refer to yourselves as "americans" in your own movies...
    But stating that, geographically speaking, "America" equals "USA", and insulting other people without giving a proper source to justify your statement, the only thing you are telling everyone is that your ego is so big that you can take the name of the whole "continent" for yourself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mirilopr's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm an american, I don't live in USA. I live in the Caribbean. But I belong to America, which is the New World, North, Central and South America. So yes, the people from the USA use the term lightly egocentrically. But that's the way they were taught...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it would be sweet if Apple released teaser commercials for upcoming products. Obviously not giving away too much info, but ending with the new product title and the words "coming soon" or something like that. I think those commercials would do really well and get people pumped!

Thanks

Designers live in a rarefied world (with a salary to match). Most people can relate to assemblers on a conveyor belt.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple ads are amazingly stupid and boring. Samsung ads are way better and are pretty entertaining.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mirilopr View Post
    I'm an american, I don't live in USA. I live in the Caribbean. But I belong to America, which is the New World, North, Central and South America. So yes, the people from the USA use the term lightly egocentrically. But that's the way they were taught...
    Geologically you're an American but culturally you are not. It's not just Americans that were taught that. If you went anywhere in the world and told someone you were an American, as far as they know you'd be telling them you're from the United States of America.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I think it would be sweet if Apple released teaser commercials for upcoming products. Obviously not giving away too much info, but ending with the new product title and the words "coming soon" or something like that. I think those commercials would do really well and get people pumped!
    They can't right now because everyone already knows what the 5S will be, which is the same as the 5 with minor updates to its guts. They only try to innovate once every two years ya know. Not much to show and tell between then.