Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.S. Supreme Court Sides with Apple in Mirror Worlds Case

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default U.S. Supreme Court Sides with Apple in Mirror Worlds Case

The gavel came down in favor of Apple Monday as word emerged that the U.S. Supreme Court is effectively handing over a victory to Apple in a patent-infringement case involving Mirror Worlds.

In short, the high court decided to avoid getting involved with the matter and will allow a lower court's ruling to stand. Consequently, the Texas company’s effort to "revive a $208.5 million verdict against the computer maker" has been shot down.

The high court declined to hear a case in which closely held Mirror Worlds LLC said an appeals court erred in ruling that Apple didn’t infringe a software patent for a way to index and file documents. Mirror Worlds was co-founded by Yale University computer-science Professor David Gelernter.
    Mirror Worlds initially sued Apple in 2008 on the accusation that Apple’s Mac computers infringed its patents. Two years later, a federal jury in Texas awarded $208.5 million for each of three patents. However, as Bloomberg recaps the story Monday, the trial judge overturned the verdict, saying Mirror Worlds "failed to establish its case."

From there, the ruling was upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Now that the Supreme Court has spoken, the case now seems all but permanently resolved in Apple's favor.

Source: Bloomberg

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yale professor??
    What kind of a professor is he??
    Professors is suppose to keep detail records, have lots of colleagues to help him with this court case.
    On top of that the judge already award him for the patent, all he needs to do is establish it's case...
    It is not an Apple win but Yale professor loss, I guess instead of retiring with hundreds of millions in bank good luck teaching at hundreds of thousands a year.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha! Great call by the court! I knew they weren't going to win, just a bunch of B.S. on their side!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,355 Posts

I'm so happy to see, that I don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Haha! Great call by the court! I knew they weren't going to win, just a bunch of B.S. on their side!
    Way to go Apple.

Are y'all going to cover the iOS 7 beta 2 on modmyi? http://iClarified.com/31399

What poor reporting.....at lease for the headline, the supreme court did not side with Apple, they simply refused to hear the case.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    What poor reporting.....at lease for the headline, the supreme court did not side with Apple, they simply refused to hear the case.
    Uh.. not quite. They always 'refuse' for a 'reason'. The reason - here is that they 'agree' with the lower court's ruling - and that all the precedent was set in the lower court's ruling..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!