+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook Security Bug Exposes the Personal Information of 6 Million Users

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Facebook Security Bug Exposes the Personal Information of 6 Million Users

A Facebook security bug that has been in existence since last year was discovered this week but only after the contact information of six million users had been exposed. The company acknowledged the bug’s existence in a blog post recently, stating the error has existed on its servers since last year and has so far affected six million accounts.

The bug was found by independent researchers through the company’s White Hat program, exposing the personal contact information of certain accounts. According to a report by TechCrunch, email addresses and phone numbers could be viewed by people who had “had some contact information about that person or some connection to them.”

According to Facebook, the bug relates to the social network’s friend discovery process. The company mentioned the following in their post:

When people upload their contact lists or address books to Facebook, we try to match that data with the contact information of other people on Facebook in order to generate friend recommendations. For example, we don’t want to recommend that people invite contacts to join Facebook if those contacts are already on Facebook; instead, we want to recommend that they invite those contacts to be their friends on Facebook.

The bug caused some of the data used to connect with friends to be stored alongside a person's contact information. By using the Download Your Information tool, people were granted access to a user's private email addresses and phone numbers that would otherwise be hidden.
    The DYI tool has been deactivated as Facebook flushes the bug from its system. Facebook says the bug has not been exploited maliciously, and the company is reaching out to the affected users.

Source: Facebook via TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

hahahaha that's what you lames get for using FaceCrook!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnapIt For This Useful Post:

ThatOneProfile (06-22-2013), vinaygoel2000 (06-22-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Not that big of a deal. Just 6mil users. Make a post about it and be done. F*** Mark Crookerburg.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Facecrooks suck myspace was better

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Facecrooks suck myspace was better
    So much better that they had to remake themselves 3 times to regain people and try to become a hybrid of Twitter and FB... while primarily using FB Connect and Twitter logins to entice new users (what?!?).
    Yeah... MySpace failed at being a good social network.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 06-22-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    So much better that they had to remake themselves 3 times to regain people and try to become a hybrid of Twitter and FB... while primarily using FB Connect and Twitter logins to entice new users (what?!?).
    Sure did. Once Facebook came out MySpace became a ghost town.

Thanks

Myspace gave way to much user control..that means the user F'd it up haha! Slow laggy pages. FB has structure and is not as cluttered. Heard MS is trying to come back yet again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    At least they didnt steal user data with mass ads and sponsored pages and blocking people from sending friends requests i just like meeting new people and facebook dont like that,twitter good tho . like i said WAS key word there is was better .

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Myspace gave way to much user control..that means the user F'd it up haha! Slow laggy pages. FB has structure and is not as cluttered. Heard MS is trying to come back yet again.
    Thats what made it better my opinion but they lost it when face added that like bs is every single website out my opinion again