+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Teases New Smart Watch as Rumors of Apple's "iWatch" Linger

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Sony Teases New Smart Watch as Rumors of Apple's "iWatch" Linger

Sony has recently begun hyping the debut of a smart watch wrist-worn accessory at next week’s Mobile Asia Expo, potentially expanding its role in a market that Apple is rumored to be eyeing. Among other promotional Twitter posts advertising products from the Xperia line of devices, Sony’s official Xperia account reminded users this week of the company’s heritage of “wearable tech” specifically referring to the Walkman. The tweets also mention their existing wearable Android devices including the SmartWatch, calling it the “only wearable device with 200 #firstgen apps on @GooglePlay.”

The Japanese electronics manufacturer then tweeted a statistic that found that one in three people are looking for a wrist watch that would pair with their smartphone. Though potential watches from Apple, Google and Samsung have made headliners for many months, Sony has been offering a watch product since 2007. In 2010, the company released the Sony Ericcson LiveView, a device which was panned by most critics and didn’t feature a touch display. Last year, Sony replaced the LiveView with the Xperia SmartWatch, a device which pairs with Android devices running the LiveView app and can run other apps from the Google Play store.

Sony’s tweets suggest that the next watch to be released could fit in the existing Xperia lineup. One of the tweets mentioned the following:

Pocket watch / wristwatch / digital watch / LiveView / SmartWatch / ? #itstime #MAE13.
    An earlier Tweet simply read the following:

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock #itstime #MAE13
    Aside for a few comments from Tim Cook during the 2013 All Things D conference where he called the idea of wearable devices “interesting,” there has been no official word about an Apple-branded wrist watch. There have been many reports citing people familiar with the matter who continue to claim that Apple is working on a device that has been dubbed an “iWatch.” We’ll have to wait and see if the Cupertino California company releases any concrete information regarding a smartwatch.

Source: Sony Xperia (Twitter) via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Waterproof it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Pass......

Thanks

That'll go well with that Sony phone that everybody has...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bmwraw8482 For This Useful Post:

Faresismail (06-23-2013), jery911 (06-22-2013), Mohit555 (06-23-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Include an app similar to find my iPhone that would alert users if they get too far from their devices and display location on a map.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

Pass as well...

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

IDK too many people who wear a watch nowadays

iPhone? More like MyPhone SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    What? Almost everyone I know wears a watch...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Really? I have a Sony smartwatch. Works perfectly with my nexus 4, or any other android device. Find it extremely useful actually.
    Really?

Thanks

shockproof it

Thanks

^^ Not everyone you know wheres that kind of watch. Maybe a dress up watch and a G Shock are about all I ever see. The above is not sleek nor sexy. Two things Apple thrives on. I see it hitting he marking and dive bombing with speed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The article doesn't mention that the Sony SmartWatch has been available for about a year, IIRC. Also, the article says 2007 is when they started making Bluetooth watches but that was when they launched the MBW-150. The MBW-100 launched at least a year earlier. I think someone's been reading my posts because I mention my 2007 MBW-150 in a lot of Apple/Bluetooth/smart-watch articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmds187 View Post
    Waterproof it
    My Sony Ericsson MBW-150 Bluetooth watch is supposedly waterproof but I see condensation in it all the time. If you remember that supposedly water-resistant tablet that they recalled: What is with Sony and failed water resistance?!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    You laugh but I bought a Sony Ericsson phone years ago because they were the only ones supporting Bluetooth watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    Include an app similar to find my iPhone that would alert users if they get too far from their devices and display location on a map.
    They've always done that.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    That's because they need a reason. These give them that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    ^^ Not everyone you know wheres that kind of watch. Maybe a dress up watch and a G Shock are about all I ever see. The above is not sleek nor sexy. Two things Apple thrives on. I see it hitting he marking and dive bombing with speed.
    Take a look at their other watches. The MBW-150 series was design by Fossil, the designer brand made famous for their watches. Mine gets comments all the time from random strangers who don't even know that it's a Bluetooth watch.