Performance tests for an unreleased MacBook pro model seemed to have appeared online, potentially offering a hint at Apple’s next-generation of professional notebooks powered by Intel’s new Haswell processors. A Geekbench score for a new MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks identified as “AAPLJ44,1” was posted to the Primate Labs website this week. The hardware appears to be a 13-inch model with a Core i5-4258U processor clocked at 2.4 GHz. As noted by the folks over at MacRumors.

The new MacBook Pro appears to be running a specialized build of Mavericks, which is Apple’s forthcoming Mac operating system update. The OS X build was identified as “13A2050.”

The unidentified MacBook Pro earned a Geekbench 2 score of 7,140, which outperforms Retina display MacBook Pro models released earlier this year with Ivy Bridge processors at faster clock speeds of 2.5 gigahertz and 2.6 gigahertz. The new “AAPLJ44,1” hardware with a Core i5 CPU is still slow than existing models with high-end Core i7 Ivy Bridge processors though.

The modest performance gains seen in the unreleased hardware suggest that as with Apple’s newly released MacBook Air lineup, the focus with this generation of hardware will still be on battery life. In particular, the new 13-inch MacBook Air released last week is advertised to offer up to 12 hours of battery life, but real-world tests have found that the machine can outperform those numbers as well. Much of the battery life gains seen in the new MacBook Air models are possible because of Intel’s Haswell generation of processors. While the ultra-low voltage CPUs found in the new MacBook Airs saw performance improvements between 3% and 8%, power consumption was cut by roughly 25%.

The Cupertino California company is expected to refresh its MacBook Pro lineup in the near future. Inventory of the 13-inch model has periodically become constrained in recent weeks, pointing towards the impending release. We’ll have to wait for more concrete information including release dates and specifications.

Source: Primate Labs via MacRumors