+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Appstore' Stalemate Between Apple and Amazon Now Official

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
For well over a year now, Apple has incrementally stepped up its aggressive legal fight with Amazon regarding the digital retailer's use of the term "Appstore" to market its store
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default 'Appstore' Stalemate Between Apple and Amazon Now Official

For well over a year now, Apple has incrementally stepped up its aggressive legal fight with Amazon regarding the digital retailer's use of the term "Appstore" to market its store for... um... apps.

Last summer, Apple went as far as to suggest that Amazon is intentionally trying to trick and confuse consumers.

Heck, if I had a nickle for every time I wanted to download an iOS app from the App Store and accidentally downloaded an Android app from Amazon instead, I would be... completely broke.

Nonetheless, Apple stands by its claim.

"Amazon has steadfastly refused to produce documents and information regarding the use of 'for Android' in connection with its service..." Apple argued in one of its many legal filings, arguing that "appstore" should only be used by Amazon if it reads "Appstore for Android."

"Amazon has failed to produce a witness who can testify regarding the decision not to use 'for Android' with the Amazon Appstore Service outside the context of the Kindle Fire, despite clear evidence that Amazon frequently does not use 'for Android' in conjunction with its Service," the argument from Apple continued.

In January of this year, lawyers for both companies were ordered by a judge to meet and try to work out the issue in hopes of saving everyone (including the legal system) valuable time and treasure. Meetings and phone calls have reportedly now taken place throughout the months of May and June and we can confidently report that nothing... and we mean nothing... has been accomplished that will preclude the need for a trial.

According to published reports this morning, the Apple vs. Amazon trial is now set to begin August 19th.

Source: Bloomberg

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The only reason I can think of for Amazon not wanting to add "for Android" to the name is because they recognize that they do get customers because its the same name as Apple's. Would people really not use the store/stop using the store just because they change the name? I think this whole thing is kind of ridiculous, but I'm also not surprised that it's happening.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This lawsuit is stupid and I am not surprised Apple is the one that is doing the lawsuit.
    If this really happens to people the lawsuit would not be from Apple but a class action lawsuit from Amazon's customers, it does not affect Apple what so ever!!
    Just a stupid way Apple is trying to bring down competition.

BTW if Amazon is forced to change name to Appstore for Android, Apple have to use Appstore for iOS. Since you are looking out for consumers you don't want people who wants to buy Android apps to buy iOS apps either do you?
    Last edited by unison999; 06-20-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

To me when i hear Appstore? That means Apple and no one else! I don't no why or understand why someone would buy a app from Amazon for iOS or Android? Goto either the Appstore or Google Play to buy it?? Unless im missing something???

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 720 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    The only reason I can think of for Amazon not wanting to add "for Android" to the name is because they recognize that they do get customers because its the same name as Apple's. Would people really not use the store/stop using the store just because they change the name? I think this whole thing is kind of ridiculous, but I'm also not surprised that it's happening.
    Well there were people from best buy that bought a Samsung tablet and was expecting an iPad 4. Outraged they were. So I'm not surprised either

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You go to the appstore that is relevant to your device, I don't know anyone who has gone to the Amazon appstore to purchase something for their iPhone, nor do I know anyone who has gone to Apples appstore to purchase something for their Kindle Fire

Appstore should a generic term for purchasing smartphone apps

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Well there were people from best buy that bought a Samsung tablet and was expecting an iPad 4. Outraged they were. So I'm not surprised either

That's true!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    This lawsuit is stupid and I am not surprised Apple is the one that is doing the lawsuit.
    If this really happens to people the lawsuit would not be from Apple but a class action lawsuit from Amazon's customers, it does not affect Apple what so ever!!

BTW if Amazon is forced to change name to Appstore for Android, Apple have to use Appstore for iOS. Since you are looking out for consumers you don't want people who wants to buy Android apps to buy iOS apps either do you?
    Except you are wrong...because Apple trademarked and patented the use of "App Store" first...so in ONE company get's to use it free and clear, it should indeed be Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It is ridiculous... Even my non techy friends know the difference. I have even said "check out this app in the app store" and they usually answer with which app store. Its become a general term. The normal consumer will know an android phone wont have the apple app store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post

Why must Apple change? They're the ones who started the AppStore. They're the ones who jump started these touch screen smartphones. Amazon is biting on the success of Apple. It's perfectly fair for them to add "for Android" seeing as how when people hear AppStore, they think of Apple iPhones and iPads.

Apple isn't trying to bring down competition. They're trying to separate themselves from all the competitors by not letting people use their name, their look, their design. All companies try to protect their products. And believe it or not, the average user isn't tech-savvy as we are. They don't even know sites like this exist so don't try to make it seem as if Apple is some evil, greedy company when they are just trying to protect their brand and image.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

"AppStore" is simply a generic name for a store that sells mobile apps.

Apple AppStore
    Android AppStore
    Amazon AppStore

It's a ridiculous lawsuit and Apple won't win, PERIOD! next......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    To me when i hear Appstore? That means Apple and no one else! I don't no why or understand why someone would buy a app from Amazon for iOS or Android? Goto either the Appstore or Google Play to buy it?? Unless im missing something???
    Usually iOS apps are simply advertised as "on the App Store," so I can kind of understand someone thinking that.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually, I think Amazon just refuses to give in, if anyone has money to compete with Apple's lawyers, it would be either Amazon or Google. Since we have already seen Google willing to assist others in lawsuits involving Android, it may very well turn out that they have already told Amazon that they would help them, even through they are running a competing App Store. The very thought that the term App Store could be trademarked, copy righted or patented is ridiculous on it's face and I am sure that that is why Amazon is willing to stand their ground.

Additionally, Amazon also used the term for Windows and Mac apps in their download section (or at least they used to), so it would make sense to say App Store for Android.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post

just think about that for a moment. are we really to believe that somebody walked into a best buy store and bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 mistaking it for an iPad despite the fact that;

the box said SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 10.1

the sales person would have to unlock a cabinet and give the the "iPad" they asked for.

that's like walking into McDonald's and thinking you were in Wendy's

besides, it was a stunt pulled by a group of iDiots trying to help apple with the lawsuit.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    just think about that for a moment. are we really to believe that somebody walked into a best buy store and bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 mistaking it for an iPad despite the fact that;

the box said SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 10.1

the sales person would have to unlock a cabinet and give the the "iPad" they asked for.

that's like walking into McDonald's and thinking you were in Wendy's

besides, it was a stunt pulled by a group of iDiots trying to help apple with the lawsuit.
    You know your wasting your time post on here, you do know that right??? ROFLFMAO

Because when you post this is all we here from you and do!!!!!

Charlie Brown Teacher Speaking - YouTube
    Last edited by Carvensno; 06-21-2013 at 10:41 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (06-22-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 720 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    You know your wasting your time post on here, you do know that right??? ROFLFMAO

Because when you post this is all we here from you and do!!!!!

Charlie Brown Teacher Speaking - YouTube
    Lmao +1

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (06-21-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Hey, genius: Take a good look at the Kindle Fire. Notice something? It's not "Android" as far as the user is concerned. Amazon AppStore is often used on custom Android implementations that have no Google Play Store or Android branding. It's a great alternative. Putting "...for Android" on it would just make it seem like it's NOT for their own tablet. Also, what about when Amazon expands to Windows and other platforms? Why would they want to limit it?