Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Let Select Developers Test a Prerelease Mac Pro Inside their "Evil Lab"

Thanks

Default Apple Let Select Developers Test a Prerelease Mac Pro Inside their "Evil Lab"

Before Phil Schiller gave the world a sneak peak of the New Mac Pro at WWDC 2013 this past week, Apple supposedly allowed select developers to come to its headquarters in Cupertino to test out their software on preproduction hardware. The folks at AppleInsider spoke with the employees of The Foundry, a firm that develops high end rendering software used on Hollywood productions to get information on the matter. The following was mentioned regarding their conversation:

The Foundry shared with AppleInsider the story of how its team worked with the new Mac Pro in a room at Apple HQ known as the "Evil Lab" ahead of the desktop's unveiling. During the tests, the Mac Pro was entirely concealed in a giant steel cabinet, keeping its new design a mystery to The Foundry and Pixar.

"We were essentially doing a blind tasting of the machine," said Jack Greasley, MARI product manager at The Foundry. "All we could see was the monitor, and the Mac Pro was encased in a giant metal filing cabinet on wheels. Experiencing the machine in this way was actually really cool, because I can tell you that the speed and power of this machine really stands up. Mari running on this machine out of the box is the fastest I have ever seen it run."
    Greasley mentioned that “some real innovation and thought has gone into what users want and need” with the new Mac Pro. He doesn’t “think pro users should be concerned” about the new machine.

Representatives from both The Foundry and Pixar participated in a lunchtime session at WWDC this week where they demonstrated the company’s MARI software running on the new Mac Pro. The company managed to get a working copy of Mari ported to the Mac in just under a week and managed to convince Apple executives to give a significant block of time at WWDC to demo the software on the new machine.

The Mac Pro is expected to be released later in the year so those of you who are eager to get your hands on one will have to wait a little bit longer.

Source: The Foundry via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No upgrade, no expansion, no storage, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Thats what people said about the MacMini - but if you purchase an i7 MacMini and then hop on over to OWC, you can max that baby out and have a much better computer than an iMac for $1300! Just hook it up to your HD TV and you are golden. Wish I would have done that instead of gotten the 2011 21.5" iMac.

When I have the cash I would gladdly get one of these Mac Pro's - hook it up to my HDTV and set it as the primary hub of my household. Super excited where Apple is taking the pro line.

Generally Macs have really been a terrible deal unless you really like working with the Mac OS. Although I haven't really been keeping up with the price and speed of hardware lately, this new one looks promising.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I am going to school for 2yrs for my Gaming Art Bachelor, and I hope there is some major chances to the hardware, because I want to get one as a graduation gift to my self.

Now that Apple has done away with optical drives completely, I wonder if there will be a updated keyboard to remove the eject button? Does it work on external drives? I don't have one so can't test it.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    And how!

it's not just the hardware that makes a good mac, it's the combo of the software and hardware, Apple have dropped the ball lately where Os X is concerned, Lion 10.7 and Mountain Lion 10.8 both give you headaches. Os X doesn't need to emulate the iDevices but thats the road Apple took and it's made Os X a poor choice for professionals a lot of pro's stayed on Snow Leopard 10.6, if Os X Mavericks 10.9 is another bad Os like Lion/Mountain Lion, the Mac pro will fail to attract many pro's(the main market it's designed for)
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (06-15-2013)

Thanks

The downside to most Apple hardware is the lack of upgradability. All my PC friends laugh at me because they can build a desktop with this that and the other for this price and I have to shell out another 1,000 to get the same specs. In the end I wouldn't trade it for anything but they do raise good points.

that MacPro looks so much like the DLink DSL2770L router: