Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BMW Drives Away from 'iOS in The Car'

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default BMW Drives Away from 'iOS in The Car'

Five days ago, MMi reported that BMW will integrate Siri Eyes Free mode into all of its 2014 vehicles. Despite the promise of this new standard feature on all 2014 BMWs, the luxury automaker reportedly confirmed Wednesday that it won't be on board for "iOS in the Car."

The reason, as we suspected, is that BMW believes its own products developed over the last decade are both plenty good and already so deeply integrated with other systems of the car that, as told to [auto dealer group] Arnold Clark.
    "It would not be that straightforward to start changing all of the architecture of a car as has been implied [by Apple]," a BMW spokesperson is quoted as saying by AutoBlog.

"While BMW isn't interested in spending more money to integrate Apple's services and functionality over its own, it has spent a good bit already to integrate iPhone functionality in its cars, including the relatively rare ability to support iPod Out and display Apple's own interface on Mini models with the optional Mini Connected feature, as well as committing to integrate Siri 'Eyes Free' functionality," blog author John Neff writes.

This week during Apple’s annual developer’s conference, Apple accelerated its “iOS in the car” program to better integrate select iOS apps into the dashboards of participating automakers. 2014 automobiles from the likes of Honda, Mercedes, Nissan, Chevy, Kia and Hyundai will see expanded Siri integration, Apple says.

Source: AutoBlog

Thanks

Its coming and whomever does it first will win big im sure. Best mobile OS in a sweet new ride = WIN WIN

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Its coming and whomever does it first will win big im sure. Best mobile OS in a sweet new ride = WIN WIN
    Yeah, I was considering buying a BMW but if Kia brings out the first iOS integrated car, I'll buy that instead.

-__-

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

I think too much cellular integration into your car means big brother will be able to monitor you that much better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ridingsupreme For This Useful Post:

DQEight (06-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I disagree, I think putting a proprietary OS in the car that would limit it to only one brand of phone would not be a smart move. Instead, there should be an industry standard for communicating with any phone and all manufacturers of phones and cars should have to fully comply with the standard.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmwade77 For This Useful Post:

DQEight (06-13-2013), szr (06-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Yeah, I was considering buying a BMW but if Kia brings out the first iOS integrated car, I'll buy that instead.

-__-
    I'd still take the BMW even if it had an intergrated Windows phone

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I disagree, I think putting a proprietary OS in the car that would limit it to only one brand of phone would not be a smart move. Instead, there should be an industry standard for communicating with any phone and all manufacturers of phones and cars should have to fully comply with the standard.
    I thought that was bluetooth, then Apple came along and decided not to fully comply with the standard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post

-__-
    You would buy a Kia over a BMW? Are you high?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I would not buy a BMW just because of iOS app integration, having iOS integration do not make me want to buy it more.
    It will probably end up to be an option you have to pay more for anyways, I can live without it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Guys guys guys!!! He is just kidding.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

Channan (06-13-2013)

Good for u BMW

Thanks

It would be an optional feature. It's not something that you would have to pay for standard even if you were an android user.

I love my new Optima turbo, & so does most BMW drivers that can't take there eyes off my car as I smoke past them.. FYI I also drive a Benz C-300 sport. Kia lead engineer is Peter shreyer from Audi- check out the new cadenza.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian97c For This Useful Post:

novadam (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    I'd buy a Kia. I could careless about what it looks as long as it can drive and play my music with awesome speakers and bass and includes an aux that's all I need in car. I don't need to spend $30k+ to be satisfied. When I can spend so much more less for the same quality. It's just the fact that you're paying for brand and other luxury features you'll probably not be using.

Thanks

I wish Dodge would be onboard with this. I have a 2012 Durango and would love this as an upgrade. I can see aftermarket manufactures like alpine getting on board with this though.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am an iOS user, and while I think Apple's overall idea with car integration is quite intriguing, I too believe that there should be some sort of standard that auto makers can implement that any device maker can take advantage of.

I guess I'm not sure what all advantages the Siri Eyes Free mode gives other than being able to press a button and talk to Siri.

The truth they dont want to integrate = $
    Integrate with Apple and people can use their phone as a GPS device, which means car manufacturers cant charge people a crap load for a GPS system.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    Integrate with Apple and people can use their phone as a GPS device, which means car manufacturers cant charge people a crap load for a GPS system.
    If this is true, then I can certainly understand your argument, as you seem to have a valid point that this could be a big part of their motivation. Still, however, I think the other part of it is that it is some makers not wanting to lock themselves into supporting only one of several competing families of mobile devices. I am an iOS user, but I would agree that having a protocol that mobile OSes would have to support may be the better overall approach, rather then trying to get every auto maker to support each individual device. Just create a general protocol that can in turn be supported by device makers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    It's not like this would be a standard feature. I'm sure it would be an option just like the GPS system, probably would be even more expensive than the GPS. The only money they would loose would be the $150 they charge for update disc.

Thanks
    Default Current BMW Electronics are sadly lacking...
    BMW already has a propriatery GPS and Audio/Electronics package in their vehicles. Just because it could be iOS under the covers does not preclude it from being used with any smart phone. The best thing they could do would be to outsource this function to Apple and iOS. I have a new BMW and the audio/GPS that I paid a huge upgrade for is a big disappointment in an otherwise awesome vehicle. Compared to the Microsoft designed SYNC that Ford uses, the BMW system is from the dark ages. BMW should should stick to doing what they do best - engineering cars. Leave the operating systems to the professionals.
    "Where are we going and why am I in this handbag?"