+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Attempts to Quickly Close Deals for Possible Launch of iRadio at WWDC

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Attempts to Quickly Close Deals for Possible Launch of iRadio at WWDC

Previously, it was being said that both Apple and several record labels couldn’t agree on song skipping terms with sources in the know telling CNET that licensing negotiations between Apple and Sony Music specifically have been stalling talks of the iRadio music service. The New York Times recently weighed in on the situation with its own information. Apple is apparently rushing to close the necessary licensing deals with music companies so it can formally reveal the service “as early as next week.” With roughly a week until Apple’s WWDC keynote, it’s not that far off to believe that the company might be pushing hard to announce iRadio at its conference. According to The New York Times:

While it is still at odds with some music companies over deal terms, Apple is said to be eager to get the licenses in time to unveil the service — nicknamed iRadio by the technology press — at its annual developers conference, which begins June 10 in San Francisco.
    It was noted that iRadio has been planned “since at least last summer” and has been conceived as a Pandora-like service that would tailor music to each person’s taste. While it was previously mentioned that Apple made little progress in regard to licensing, the NYT report mentions that the company signed a deal with Warner Music Group for both recorded music rights and music publishing over the weekend. The Cupertino California company also supposedly signed a deal with the Universal Music Group but only for its recorded music rights. As for Sony Music Entertainment, Apple is supposedly still in talks with both them and Sony’s separate publishing arm, Sony/ATV.

As of right now, the main point of the argument is the money as Apple supposedly wants “more extensive licensing terms,” for a cost that doesn’t seem attractive. Record labels and music publishes generally want higher royalty rates and have been pushing for guaranteed minimum payments. The New York Times mentioned the following regarding the topic:

For recording rights, the labels have asked Apple to pay at least as much as Pandora’s “penny rate” — a fixed fee for every song played, currently 12 cents per 100 streams — as well as a fee whenever a user skips from one song to another.
    It seems like Apple’s iRadio will be available sooner rather than later and what might make it a more attractive option for many is that it won’t be a paid service, instead it will be free with the support of ads. We’ll find out soon enough though when more concrete information is released.

Source: CNET, The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 3,838 Times in 876 Posts

Not sure how interested I'll be if its a pandora like service. I would much rather have a spotify type service that has a great radio feature (IMO spotify radio service is crap)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

cl1ck4207 (06-03-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Not sure how interested I'll be if its a pandora like service. I would much rather have a spotify type service that has a great radio feature (IMO spotify radio service is crap)
    I wholeheartedly agree. I think that they will probably do that, but also have a feeling they're going to incorporate their Genius Mixes feature somehow, if not by name only...

Thanks

What? You would much rather have a Spotify service but then state that Spotify service is crap? Which is it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    What? You would much rather have a Spotify service but then state that Spotify service is crap? Which is it?
    He's trying to say that he'd much rather have an apple version of Spotify since spotify itself is crap but apple can make it a whole lot better.

Thanks

Like I keep saying, none of these services will really take off while we have cellular data caps...

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I still have yet to understand the whole reason behind services like this... What's wrong with downloading music and syncing your iPhone with your computer? Is it too mainstream or
    What?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I still have yet to understand the whole reason behind services like this... What's wrong with downloading music and syncing your iPhone with your computer? Is it too mainstream or
    What?
    I agree... Gotta download it sometime... I do it once on my PC n then sync...plus all the stuff I've ripped off my CDs I have...would suck my data to do OTA all the time...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    I agree... Gotta download it sometime... I do it once on my PC n then sync...plus all the stuff I've ripped off my CDs I have...would suck my data to do OTA all the time...
    Exactly... And I understand spotify premium has offline playability, but then what's the difference? Still downloading and storing to an app... Much easier just to sink thru iTunes

Thanks

Exactly... And I understand spotify premium has offline playability, but then what's the difference? Still downloading and storing to an app... Much easier just to sink thru iTunes
    Yup...not all of us have unlimited cell data...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    No I said the "radio" feature of spotify is crap. Not the app. The app is awesome. However the radio feature (like pandora) sucks and it gets way off track.

What?
    Because its nice to pay for a service that isn't as limiting as having to purchase single songs or albums.

These services don't use as much data as some people think.

But it's nice when someone says. Hey check out this song and I can just go check it out. Or if I remember a song from hearing on the radio I can go get it. Many reason why services like this are awesome
    Last edited by subywrex; 06-03-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks

Because its nice to pay for a service that isn't as limiting as having to purchase single songs or albums.

These services don't use as much data as some people think.

But it's nice when someone says. Hey check out this song and I can just go check it out. Or if I remember a song from hearing on the radio I can go get it. Many reason why services like this are awesome
    I know the data isn't terrible. I stream love radio from iHeartRadio when I'm outside the area and want to listen to my hometown station. I understand if you usually download alot of music spotify can save money, but I usually download 7/8 songs a month so it's cheaper for me to purchase songs, plus call me old fashioned, but I still buy cd albums because I like having a hard copy

Thanks

I know the data isn't terrible. I stream love radio from iHeartRadio when I'm outside the area and want to listen to my hometown station. I understand if you usually download alot of music spotify can save money, but I usually download 7/8 songs a month so it's cheaper for me to purchase songs, plus call me old fashioned, but I still buy cd albums because I like having a hard copy
    To each their own .

I hate disks of any fashion. Think they are pointless in this day and age.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope they include something like googles new music service with iTunes's match