Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AAPL Short Sellers Taking The Heat for April Sell Off

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default AAPL Short Sellers Taking The Heat for April Sell Off

Short sellers of AAPL are feeling the heat for how relentlessly they pounded shares of Apple during the month of April.

Mal Spooner, a Canadian money manager and financial columnist, says that short interest in Apple had exploded from 8 million shares in April 2012 to 20 million in April 2013.

On Tuesday, Spooner's recent claims against AAPL short-sellers came to light on CNN. As it turns out, the respected financial guru asserts that short sellers effectively swarmed Apple stock in a manner befitting "a violent street crime where an unsuspecting innocent bystander is attacked by several culprits at once."

"I've never claimed to be all that smart," he says of the April short-selling bonanza, "but I just can't figure out how aggressively attacking a company's share price, selling stock that the seller doesn't even own, for the sole purpose of transferring the savings of innocent investors into one's own coffers... is a noble thing. Isn't it kind of like a bunch of thugs beating someone up and stealing his/her cellphone declaring it was the loner's own fault for being vulnerable?"

April was so ugly for Apple that near the month's conclusion, 48 hours before the company's Q2 2013 earnings report, in fact, Apple's share price plummeted to $385.10, which was the lowest price AAPL had seen since 2011.

So is the worst over for Apple's alleged abuse at the hands of short-sellers? According to today's report, by May 15, Apple's short interest had fallen precipitously, meaning that fewer traders are now betting on continued selling pressure.

Source: CNN

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oh please, blame it on people short selling?
    Short selling is no different than buying stock investing in the company, only difference is people who short selling is betting stock drop instead of rising. Not as many people will play short selling game because you must be able to cover the difference.

I see this as an "not my fault" excuse for these stock brokers, so they can explain away the loss their client instead of taking the blame for wrong investment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Oh please, blame it on people short selling?
    Short selling is no different than buying stock investing in the company, only difference is people who short selling is betting stock drop instead of rising. Not as many people will play short selling game because you must be able to cover the difference.

I see this as an "not my fault" excuse for these stock brokers, so they can explain away the loss their client instead of taking the blame for wrong investment.
    U do know economics right?
    Expectations turn into reality even if they are based on thin air!
    Because everyone expects something to happen, they have their responses triggered that way, and it actually happens even if it wasnt supposed to happen.
    Theory of rational expectations dude. U might want to know a little bit about the subject before commenting on it.
    In this case, people expected the stock to drop, their response was short sales to make profits and avoid loss. And it lead to actual drop!