Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Intel's Haswell Chips Could Provide 50% More Battery Life to Next-Gen MacBooks

Thanks

Default Intel's Haswell Chips Could Provide 50% More Battery Life to Next-Gen MacBooks

The next generation in Appleís MacBook line could potentially see 50% greater battery life thanks to Intelís soon to be released Haswell processors. In a media briefing ahead of the launch of its Haswell processor platform, Intel Chief Rani Borkar said that the chipmaker had designed the line with notebooks and tablets in mind according to PC World. This focus on mobile devices led to dramatic increases in battery life with 50% longer operation in normal use and extending idle and standby battery life by up to 20 times.

This could mean that battery life for future MacBooks, which are already near the top of the industry, will see considerable improvements. The Haswell line is the latest in the chip giantís instruction set architecture. Intel updates the lines every two years and this yearís refresh is more important than most. With the rise of smartphones and tablets slowing the PC industry, the main source of Intelís sales. Consumers are increasingly opting for mobile devices rather than traditional computing form factors and Intel has struggled to gain a foothold in the mobile device segment.

The Haswell line is intended to address both traditional computers and tablets as well. Some of the components of the line have had their power consumption reduced to as low as 7W. The offerings are said to offer better performance than non-Intel chipsets but with comparably low battery life. The company has been talking up the possibilities of the Haswell line for months ahead of its launch. The company recently released a document showing that Haswell will double or triple graphics performance compared to previous models.

Ultimately weíll have to see but all the information thus far bodes well for whatís to come.

Source: PC World

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Default Next Gen?
    Does "next-generation" refer to the update coming next month?

This is what we need to be after: power consumption, not adding a gigahertz every other year. Efficiency rules! Speaking as someone who doesn't care about games in even the slightest.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

Cool, this should be great for the MBP. Can't wait!
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

And Mac's already get pretty good battery life as it is. If they get 50% more that will be pretty damn impressive. I wont be upgrading this year as I got the 15" Retina Macbook Pro last year but i am still excited to see what they are going to announce.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to raggou For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (05-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raggou View Post
    And Mac's already get pretty good battery life as it is. If they get 50% more that will be pretty damn impressive. I wont be upgrading this year as I got the 15" Retina Macbook Pro last year but i am still excited to see what they are going to announce.
    How do u find the Retina MBP? I have a 1st Gen (2008 alloy unibody 17" brought brand new & up-specced) & it's still rocking hard upgraded now to Lion (was leopard). I figure if it dies anytime soon Retina MBP it is without a doubt. Have been impressed with the longevity of it both in terms of hardware & software capabilities.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    This is what we need to be after: power consumption, not adding a gigahertz every other year. Efficiency rules! Speaking as someone who doesn't care about games in even the slightest.
    I don't remember the last time they've made a push to add gigahertz. I bought a dell in 2002 with a 3.4 ghz processor. That's pretty much what they are at today still. Bought an iMac last year with a 3.4 ghz also.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Just got a MacBook Pro 15 days ago I knew Haswell was coming whatever o well

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    +1
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks

Apple should just buy the blueprints for the supercapacitor that that girl invented, that charges in 30 seconds and has a battery life of 10 hours. Apple should just buy this from her, and/or give her a job.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iH85CH001 For This Useful Post:

H4CK3R (05-27-2013)

My 11" MBA dies in 3 hours when I'm pushing it hard and 5 hours if I play it safe. I would love a solid 7-10 hours (like the iPad).

Apple wil probably just make the new generation MBPro's thinner, leaving the battery life as it was before, and in the process dump one or two interfaces, like they did last time....