+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Hints at Incriminating Evidence Against Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
With the trial related to Apple's alleged eBook price-fixing scheme inching closer to a start, presiding Judge Denise Cote said today that the U.S Department of Justice has an excellent
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Judge Hints at Incriminating Evidence Against Apple

With the trial related to Apple's alleged eBook price-fixing scheme inching closer to a start, presiding Judge Denise Cote said today that the U.S Department of Justice has an excellent chance of proving that Apple was involved in the controversial - and purportedly illegal - scheme.

In an unusual move before a trial, a federal judge expressed a tentative view that the U.S. Justice Department will be able to show evidence that Apple Inc engaged in a conspiracy with publishers to increase e-book prices.
    Comments documented today by Reuters indicate that Judge Cote believes Apple will be found to have participated in this lingering saga, which has already resulted in tens of millions of dollars in settlement-related fees for publishers accused of being party to the conspiracy.

"I believe that the government will be able to show at trial direct evidence that Apple knowingly participated in and facilitated a conspiracy to raise prices of e-books, and that the circumstantial evidence in this case, including the terms of the agreements, will confirm that," Cote said.

Although the U.S. Department of Justice didn't comment on the matter, Orin Snyder, a lawyer for Apple, did, saying that: "We strongly disagree with the court's preliminary statements about the case today."

The trial is scheduled to commence June 3rd.

Source: Reuters

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I hope department of justice be very careful of this case and do not end in mistrial of some sort.
    Also the judgement should be paid directly to Apple's competition since they are the ones who was hurt from sales they lost. This way it is no longer slap on the wrist and no corporation would ever try something like this again.

Thanks

Shouldn't a judge wait till after a trial to form an opinion? Call me crazy...

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    You crazy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    So much for judges being *unbiased* although how many high court judges are unbiased now a days ...

iPhone? More like MyPhone zeppy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I hope department of justice be very careful of this case and do not end in mistrial of some sort.
    Also the judgement should be paid directly to Apple's competition since they are the ones who was hurt from sales they lost. This way it is no longer slap on the wrist and no corporation would ever try something like this again.
    The fines need to be hefty, because most corporations continue illegal acts because they still have plenty of profits left even after paying the fines.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    So much for judges being *unbiased* although how many high court judges are unbiased now a days ...
    This sounds like the judge has no business trying this case Apples lawyers should seek a new trial and a judge.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    +1

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,004 Times in 6,204 Posts

Troll
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I never understood the real meaning of these "+1" posts. Can someone please explain?

Thanks

So many apple diehards on the modmyi forum lol. Look if they are truthfully guilty of such accusations then they should at the very least be fined. And the people saying the judge is biased are also biased by taking up apples side. So regardless of your opinion this thing will sort itself out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFisher View Post
    So many apple diehards on the modmyi forum lol.
    Duh!! It's ModMy"i".com.