+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iWatch Said to Launch in 2014 with Focus on Biometrics

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's iWatch Said to Launch in 2014 with Focus on Biometrics

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has previously provided accurate information about Apple’s future plans, recently issued a new research report this week outlining his expectations for Apple’s rumored smart watch device, dubbed the “iWatch.” Despite certain rumors of the device launching later this year, Kuo believes that both hardware and software issues will result in the iWatch making its debut sometime in the second half of 2014. According to Kuo:

Apple may not have adequate resources to develop an iWatch version of iOS because it may require big changes to iPhone and iPad iOS this year. In addition, wearable device components aren’t mature. For these reasons, we think mass production of the iWatch is more likely to begin in 2H14, not 2H13 as the market speculates.

When it comes to the hardware front, Kuo projects that the iWatch will use a 1.5-2.0 inch display and unsurprisingly believes that Apple will draw on the iPod Nano when it comes to components, particularly with respect to the main processor and the touch technology. This isn’t too much of a surprise given the iPod Nano watch kits providing a good foundation as of right now. Kuo said the following about the topic:

Currently, the iPod nano uses the same GF2 touch technology as used by the iPad mini. Since the size and computing ability requirements of the iWatch are similar to those of the iPod nano, we think iWatch will use iPod nano’s GF2 touch technology and AP [application processor].
    Kuo believes that biometrics will be a key feature for the iWatch, allowing for increased security and opening the door to broader health-related applications. The biometric support should also aid in building out the cross-device integration many expect to see from the iWatch. As of right now, devices like the Nike+ FuelBand and other wearables offer pedometer functions and in some cases, heart rate monitoring. If such functionality were to be built into Apple’s watch, it could open new doors to the healthcare hardware industry.

The rumors of the smart watch project have been relatively quiet over the past few months, so we’ll have to wait and see if any concrete evidence or information surfaces.

Source: KGI Securities via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

How to get it in a few days:
    1. Buy an iPod Shuffle (Touchscreen)
    2. But a case that wraps around your
    wrist for the iPod.
    3.Put it in.

YOUR DONE! Now when you want a watch, open clock!
    And it has radio, music, photos and more!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wiipro View Post
    How to get it in a few days:
    1. Buy an iPod Shuffle (Touchscreen)
    2. But a case that wraps around your
    wrist for the iPod.
    3.Put it in.

YOUR DONE! Now when you want a watch, open clock!
    And it has radio, music, photos and more!
    I think you mean an Ipod Nano 6th gen.
    I am wearing one now...the shuffle has no screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This will get Apple into the door of the highly lucrative health industry for yet another market with huge potential. Even if initially it's basic it will be far more than an iPod Nano with a wrist case!

Thanks

If this thing does what the fitbit can do + more then I really want one!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Screw fitness stuff, I see this watch for elderly people.
    I see an "I've fallen and I can't get up!" app and "911" app for those who is prone serious problems like heart attack... Can I get a copyright or trademark on this one???

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I see an "I've fallen and I can't get up!" app and "911" app for those who is prone serious problems like heart attack... Can I get a copyright or trademark on this one???
    LOL, no, but you win an 'I'm A Doosh' hat to wear when you're out in public.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    go for it. apple's pretty laid back about intellectual property stuff lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone zeppy's Avatar
    Thanks

This will be a great product if Apple executes it properly.

However a bad feeling exists; the iWatch biometrics capability might be used to snoop on personal biometric data and unique health conditions and then transmit this data to big brother government, insurance companies and healthcare institutions without knowledge or consent!

To Apple Management: Don't screw this product up like you have screwed up so many others!
    Last edited by zeppy; 05-24-2013 at 04:35 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zeppy For This Useful Post:

REMED1AL (07-03-2013)