Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recently Discovered Mac Malware Captures and Uploads Screenshots without Permission

Thanks

Default Recently Discovered Mac Malware Captures and Uploads Screenshots without Permission

Earlier this week, new Mac spyware was discovered on a computer at the Oslo Freedom Forum, which is an annual human rights conference. Located by computer security researcher Jacob Appelbaum, the malware, which has been deemed OSX/KitM.A, is currently being investigated by the anti-virus company F-Secure according to CNET.

The malware is a backdoor application named “macs.app” which automatically launches upon login and captures screenshots that it then sends to a MacApp folder in the user’s home directory. There have been two command-and-controls servers, which are located at securitytable.org and docsforum.info that are associated with the malware. One doesn’t function and the other gives a “public access forbidden” message though.

Interestingly enough, the malware is signed with an Apple Developer ID, which is designed to prevent the installation of malware. Apps that are unsigned are blocked by default by Apple’s Gatekeeper security option. According to the folks at CNET:

This bit of malware is somewhat unique in that it is signed with what appears to be a valid Apple Developer ID associated with the name Rajender Kumar. Though not an uncommon name, this may be a reference to the late Bollywood actor of a similar name. Regardless, the use of the ID appears to be an attempt to bypass Apple's Gatekeeper execution prevention technology.
    As of right now, F-Secure is looking into the origination of the malware and though it doesn’t appear to be widespread, it can be mitigated by removing the macs.app program from the log0in menu. The Cupertino California company generally tends to address malware threats rather quickly on top of which, the company has the ability to revoke the developer ID to further limit the spread of the software. The issue will likely be taken care of in the near future.

Source: F-Secure via CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Deem: to regard or consider in a specified way.

When are people going to realize Macs aren't immune to malware?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimInMass View Post
    Who said macs are immune to malware? It's just 1 vs 1,000. More malware is developed for Windows just because the number of Windows users is >> number of Mac users.

Quote Originally Posted by TimInMass View Post
    When are windows users going to stop saying mac users are ignorant to the facts?
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

This is one of the reasons I will continue to stick with iOS. Although it is very controlled, I like the protections that it has. osx is more open to malware.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if PC dedicated sites report every virus or malware found for PCs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    When are windows users going to stop saying mac users are ignorant to the facts?
    Amen brother... it never ends.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

dsg (05-19-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    I wonder if PC dedicated sites report every virus or malware found for PCs.
    I don't think so. Maybe only major ones.

I'm a Windows user by the way but not subscribed to any Windows forum.

Just when the Pentagon gave iOS 6 the go ahead....

@ No one said MACs were immune to malware , they are immune to viruses for the PC.
    Nowadays all you have to do is hit a period or go to a site and you're vulnerable to attack.