+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google to Take On Music Streaming Service Spotify and Pandora with All Access

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Google to Take On Music Streaming Service Spotify and Pandora with All Access

Google introduced its long-anticipated Spotify competitor: Google Play Music All Access, a “unique Google approach” to subscription music service. Google’s engineering director, Chris Yerga, announced the new music service during the keynote for the search giant’s annual Google I/O developer conference. The streaming service is quite similar to popular music service Spotify with some elements similar to Internet radio service, Pandora. According to Yerga:

We set out to build a music service that didn't just give you access to the world of music, but also helped guide you through it.
    All Access focuses on personalized recommendations, using a feature called Explore. Explore allows users to start a radio station from an individual track .Once the station is established, users can tailor the tracks that will pay to their likes by stopping tracks that they don’t want to hear. Then new streaming service will also suggest new releases and other tracks that Google thinks users will enjoy based on their listening habits. Furthermore, All Access will allow users to blend their own Google Play-stored tracks in on playlists with All Access songs as well.

Google’s move into streaming will bring the company closer into competition with not only Spotify and Pandora but also potentially Apple. The Cupertino California company is said to be working on its own radio service which is said to debut sometime this summer. Much of the negotiations with major record labels is said to already be done but holdouts among some labels are the reason behind the delayed announcement and rollout of Apple’s streaming option.

Those of you interested in Google’s All Access offering will be able to use it starting today, May 15th for a fee of $10 per month. Google is apparently opening up the service to all users in the country with a 30-day free trial. Users who begin their trial before June 30 will be able to take advantage of a special discount and get accessing to the streaming music service for $8 per month as opposed to $10.

Will any of you be using the All Access?

Source: Google

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Can't seem to find a link to sign up for the service. As a premium user of spotify I am highly interested to see what google brings to the table.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Courtn2122 View Post
    Can't seem to find a link to sign up for the service. As a premium user of spotify I am highly interested to see what google brings to the table.
    Hit the source link.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Shame its only available in the US currently

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh
    Last edited by jwil736; 05-15-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Once they get the iOS app approved, I'd switch over from Spotify.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 845 Posts

I still can't justify paying for music that doesn't belong to me.

Thanks

Nope not at all, use pandora and spotify occasionally when driving to and from work which is 35 min each way and at the gym, that's it for my music listening.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I still can't justify paying for music that doesn't belong to me.
    Confused by this. You do know these companies get licensing to allow these services right? When you pay a subscription it's no different than paying for satellite or cable tv. Your paying for right to listen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Confused by this. You do know these companies get licensing to allow these services right? When you pay a subscription it's no different than paying for satellite or cable tv. Your paying for right to listen.
    Yes, I know its licensed.

For me, though, the difference between paying for cable and paying to listen to music is: I'm used to not owning TV shows but I am used to owning music. With music, if I wanted to listen to it, then I either use a radio or buy the album. Once I bought an album, I can repeat a song 50 times if I want; I can learn other songs I didn't know about; I have complete control of what I listen to.

With Spotify, I 'pay' to create a compilation of music I like but what about the stuff I don't know about? Can I listen to Bassnectar's full album even though I dont know the track names? What if I want to repeat a song 50 times or just play only 4 songs all day long. And even if I could do that stuff, I still don't own the album to do what I please w/ it. Hope that makes sense! LOL!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Yes, I know its licensed.

For me, though, the difference between paying for cable and paying to listen to music is: I'm used to not owning TV shows but I am used to owning music. With music, if I wanted to listen to it, then I either use a radio or buy the album. Once I bought an album, I can repeat a song 50 times if I want; I can learn other songs I didn't know about; I have complete control of what I listen to.

With Spotify, I 'pay' to create a compilation of music I like but what about the stuff I don't know about? Can I listen to Bassnectar's full album even though I dont know the track names? What if I want to repeat a song 50 times or just play only 4 songs all day long. And even if I could do that stuff, I still don't own the album to do what I please w/ it. Hope that makes sense! LOL!
    Btw

Never heard if bassnectar but a quick search and I can listen to any song on these albums. I can listen to it on repeat just as if it was purchased through iTunes. Yea you download the track and do your own mix with it but you can make playlists and even start a radio station and maybe discover new things that are related.

For me I don't like the limitation of having to buy an album or only listen to music I own. I like playing things and listening to random music and be able to search for songs that maybe I forgot about or someone told me about. I am all about media streaming services

Thanks

These services would all be 100% better if so many of us didn't have data caps. I can't stream music in the car to/from work for a month without it getting very expensive. (I share 4gb between 3 lines on Verizon)
    On the other hand, with all the info google gathers on people, their personalized playlists better be great!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    These services would all be 100% better if so many of us didn't have data caps. I can't stream music in the car to/from work for a month without it getting very expensive. (I share 4gb between 3 lines on Verizon)
    On the other hand, with all the info google gathers on people, their personalized playlists better be great!
    I know with spotify you can download the music for "offline" play. So you can still listen to songs you download at home on wifi anywhere with out using data

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    I know with spotify you can download the music for "offline" play. So you can still listen to songs you download at home on wifi anywhere with out using data
    Exactly. I have over 200 songs in my Spotify stared list that are offline, so no data is hit.(even though I'm unlimited )

I don't like that Google has no free option. One cool thing about Spotify is having so many people on it and going in and looking at what they are listening to...then grabbing a song if I like it and adding it to my list.

This pay only option will cause it to fail!

Thanks

I checked it out I like it a lot! there needs to be an iPhone app for it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any apps that can only be used in the US are overrated