+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iTunes Accounts for a Measly 1.9% of Nightly Home Internet Traffic

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's iTunes Accounts for a Measly 1.9% of Nightly Home Internet Traffic

Data sent from iTunes represents 1.9% of North American Internet traffic every night, a share beyond all other competing digital storefronts. The number is still very well behind the bandwidth served by Netflix though, which takes roughly one third of nightly home Internet traffic.

The Broadband research company, Sandvine, has been tracking North American bandwidth usage during primetime hours for years and its latest data summarized by AllThingsD shows that iTunes is ahead of websites like Facebook, which accounts for 1.48% and Amazon, which takes 1.31%.

While iTunes provides video content for purchase or rent, along with music, apps, books and more, it’s video-only providers that dominate bandwidth consumption. Netflix is the king of this as it alone accounts for 32.25% of all nightly downstream traffic delivered over fixed networks to users at home. In second is YouTube, which accounts for 17.11% of traffic, placing it ahead of generic “HTTP” data with 11.11%. BitTorrent, which is a popular file sharing format for users who pirate copyrighted material accounts for 5.57% of bandwidth used.

Rounding off the top five were MPEG video downloads which came in fifth with 2.58%, placing them ahead of Hulu, which streams TV episodes, movies and its own original content with free and subscription accounts available. Hulu finished just a tad bit ahead of iTunes with 2.41%. Apple’s iTunes took seventh place among the top bandwidth consuming options with 1.9%, placing it just ahead of SSL at 1.89%. Rounding out the top services are Flash video (1.72 percent), Facebook (1.48 percent), Amazon (1.31 percent) and HBO Go (0.34 percent).

Another interesting statistic found in the report was that 20% of data that was transmitted was over Wi-Fi to devices such as the iPads and iPhones. This number is up 9% from a year ago. While Netflix continues to remain dominant on home fixed network connections, YouTube is the primary bandwidth consumer among mobile data users, taking up 27.33%.

Source: AllThingsD via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

The reason iTunes is so low is because it is useless for anything other than music and most people don't even purchase music anymore so it is really just a place to sync your phone to once every other month (for most people).

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

And why is this news????

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

In my area we have Redbox. $1.29 for new movie vs. $4.99 or $5.99 from Apple or Amazon. Unless your a lazy *****, why wouldn't you stop at the Redbox on the way home. I know Apple and others would like to get rid of everyone's hardware and get rid of DVD and Blueray. But at 4 to 5 times the price of services like Redbox , it will not likely happen for some time. That is why netflix streaming is so successful. There are plenty of things to watch. Just a little behind the times, but only 8 dollars a month. ITunes should adapt a concept where you pay so much per month for the majority of content with reduced new movie purchase price. Like maybe the 8 dollars a month and $1.29 for new stuff. The other problem is that most new TV's, dvd and blueray players are building these services right in. Can't see Apple allowing manufactures to put iTunes right in there devices. They are way to controlling.
    Last edited by 1shuttle1; 05-15-2013 at 05:23 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1shuttle1 For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (05-15-2013)

Thanks

Dunno why Netflix is so popular. All old films.

Thanks

I guarantee bit torrent is higher because smart people use private trackers and ip filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Tv Shows, and tons of kids movies.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I watch Netflix daily, I don't care for the movies but they have a wide variety of documentaries that are interesting to watch

Thanks

Yeah I suppose so, never looked at it from that angle.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This article is derogatory to users of BitTorrent saying that its used solely for piracy! There is a lot of legitimate sharing of user files on there too! Not everyone is a 'pirate'.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpdunhill73 View Post
    This article is derogatory to users of BitTorrent saying that its used solely for piracy! There is a lot of legitimate sharing of user files on there too! Not everyone is a 'pirate'.
    ARRRRR : pirate face :

Thanks

Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House of Cards to name a few.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House of Cards to name a few.
    Just watched the first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad in 2 weeks to catch up with the show. Now to watch the first half of season 5, onDemand or via download.

Thanks

Netflix is garbage personally i download all tv shows and movies no commercials itunes is good to sync once a mouth or so thats it .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Netflix is garbage personally i download all tv shows and movies no commercials itunes is good to sync once a mouth or so thats it .
    But it's much easier to sit down in front of my tv and launch the Netflix app that's built in. No need to download its all there in an instant.

My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Thanks

I like to stream Netflix on my Apple TV... Does that count?
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---