Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Getting BlackBerry BBM This Summer

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default iOS Getting BlackBerry BBM This Summer

Smartphone maker BlackBerry has announced plans to bring its BlackBerry BBM messaging service to a number of competing mobile platforms this summer, including iOS and Android.

We're told the cross-platform offering will work with iOS 6 and Android 4.0 when it launches with such popular features as multi-person chats, photo sharing, and voice notes. Although the BlackBerry messaging service will no longer be exclusive to the BlackBerry smartphone line, the company must deem the expansion necessary for the sake of helping the platform better compete against iOS and Android in the long run.

“For BlackBerry, messaging and collaboration are inseparable from the mobile experience, and the time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service," explains Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President of Software Product Management and Ecosystem at BlackBerry.

"BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy," he adds. "We’re excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community.”

BBM now has more than 60 million monthly active customers, the company says, with more than 51 million people using BBM an average of 90 minutes per day.

Source: BlackBerry

Thanks

Blackberry is doing what it needs to do to stay afloat/relevant. I don't personally know one single person that wants a BB. Not to say these people are no where to be found..just saying I don't know of any. BB was doomed when they stopped being innovative. Up until this year, the phone offerings have been the same for the last 10 years. In the smartphone wars, without a solid appstore or app market, you are not going to compete and you damn sure cannot win. That is all for now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

*T* (05-14-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 723 Posts

Wonder if it a app? or they are opening up there code to Apple and Google for a nice fee??? to stay afloat as put by bigboyz^^^^

Thanks

Who cares? It's a 100 apps out there now that do the same ****...just use Kik like 90% a the rest of the world

I hope they have support for iOS7 ,

No one wants BBM anymore that's why their releasing it

People buy blackberries mostly for bbm. Port that on the apple and android phones and BAM! Not one more unit will be sold. U mark my words.

Thanks

Yes but if apps like whatsapp & kik can make millions them RIM might be able to make some money rather than crumble. Probably too late now but at least they're going down fighting.

Sorry Blackberry. Too little too late. More and more people are getting rid of blackberries. Had they came out with this 2 or 3 years ago it may have been big for them.

You all should thank BB. 60m people on it already, and as soon as its released, more will migrate. Why? Free texting across platform. no more iMessenger giving you free texts across iPhones - now you can text anyone for free on any device via bbm. They just saved you between $5-20 a month. This really sucks for the other free texting platforms as it will likely put them out of business.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jghost's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol. Some of you people crack me up. Stop talking about the same old crap. "Blackberry didn't do this; they didn't do that; it's too late." Honestly, it's old hat. Let it rest and stop beating a dead horse. Just sit by and enjoy the free feature they're offering to multiple smartphones now.

What are they even thinking the only reason anyone would choose an blackberry over an iPhone or android phone was cos of bbm now they are removing the only unique selling point of the blackberries dooming themselves

Having been iPhone user since its first launch, I never saw BB as a long term survivor. Now, after getting one for work, I have to admit its great for work uses... conference calls have never been easier for me to join. That being said, there is still a lot of room for improvement in smartphones for the enterprise. I wouldn't count BB out just yet.