Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Shows No Interest in Windows 8 iTunes App

Thanks

Default Apple Shows No Interest in Windows 8 iTunes App

Microsoft representatives recently told CNN that they would love to have Apple bring iTunes to its Windows 8 “Metro” platform but users shouldn’t expect a touch-friendly version of the application any time soon as Apple doesn’t appear to be too keen on developing a version of iTunes that integrates the Modern UI face of Windows 8. According to the chief financial officer of the Microsoft’s Windows division:

You shouldn't expect an iTunes app on Windows 8 any time soon. iTunes is in high demand. The welcome mat has been laid out. It's not for lack of trying.
    For those of you who didn’t already know, iTunes is already available for Windows 8 but the lack of a Modern UI version, otherwise known as “Metro,” means that users in tablet mode that are working without a keyboard and mouse will have a harder time navigating the program. It also means that users who are running Windows RT are completely unable to use the software as that version of Windows does not run non-Microsoft desktop software.

Apple previously ported its most popular Mac applications to Microsoft’s Windows, the operating system on which most computers run worldwide. When it comes to the growing tablet segment, Apple is dominant and even though Windows 8 tablets are grabbing some market share, the Cupertino California company could likely ignore the platform for some time and see no ill effects.

Source: CNN

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 750 Posts

I don't blame Apple for not wanting to make an iTunes program that looks like window 8. That's like GM asking rolls Royce to make a car body to fit a GM motor lmao. Hell no!!! Lol

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (05-12-2013), thetoothfairy (05-10-2013)

Thanks

Funny I've been hoping microsoft would give me a fkking option to uninstall metro so I don't get this annoying side menu each time i move my coursor to a corner. I've also heard MS is re-evaluating some of their decisions about metro. Lets see what happens.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I wouldn't either! Good for Apple!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

... And honestly, what's the point. The normal iTunes works on Windows 8 as on any other version of Windows so why should they waste money and time on something nobody would use for a platform nobody uses. Windows RT was dead on arrival so I don't see a point of making a iTunes Metro app

Windows 8 looks like a horrible OS anyway... I wonder what that would do to the integrity of iTunes being on a crappy OS :/

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I know most Windows 8 apps suck, but I see potential for it to improve once touch screen is on 100% of all laptops/notebooks/hybrids.
    "IF" and when Windows 8.1/9 improves, I'm sure Apple will re-think it. I plan on getting a Lenovo Helix so might be nice.

Start Button, and Boot to Desktop option coming in Windows 8.1
    Windows 8.1 set to bring back the Start button | The Verge

Maybe Microsoft should worry about bring office to the ipad. Some many businesses and schools would buy that for their ipad programs. Microsoft is in a lose lose situation because people are becoming more familiar with iWork and won't want to switch back once they get used to it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

ttiger (05-11-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Maybe Microsoft should worry about bring office to the ipad. Some many businesses and schools would buy that for their ipad programs. Microsoft is in a lose lose situation because people are becoming more familiar with iWork and won't want to switch back once they get used to it.
    Seriously! iWork? It's not even close to being as good as Office. Not even close.

What did apple port to windows?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    Seriously! iWork? It's not even close to being as good as Office. Not even close.
    True, but it's the best available product on iPhone, it syncs to all devices and it's cheap. Can you imagine an iPhone or iPad user paying $100 or more for office? Not in your wildest dreams

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got an email a couple days ago from Microsoft saying they Just got a Twitter app lol. Good old Microsoft, always late to the party. This is why Bill tried to monopolize the PC market way back when, They can't handle competition

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

My take on this:

Microsoft wont release Office for iPad (despite no one wanting it anyway) and expects Apple to release iTunes for Windows 8. They say they will gladly accept iTunes for Windows 8 but wont give back anything in return.

It also wouldn't be profitable for Apple to release an update to iTunes for Windows 8 since Windows 8 is having a worse time than Vista had

Lol Microsoft is a funny company. Like others have said, Windows RT was dead on arrival, it's very existence is questionable all together.

Microsoft is smart not releasing Office for iPad, it's what keeps me from losing the laptop! As a student, there is no substitute for full-fledge Microsoft Word.

Who cares? Windows 8 UI is atrociously hideous anyway. Windows 7 itunes works just fine.

Why do people bash windows 8 when most of them havn't even used it for more than 10 min at an electronics store. The metro side is pretty bad, I'll give that to you, but the desktop side is better than any microsoft os made so far. I never use the metro side and the only time I ever see the start screen is when I boot up/restart. It is alot faster than 7 too..

Of course Apple isnt going to make a metro iTunes... Thanks for the update CNN!

Quote Originally Posted by niklpl8dpokets View Post
    Why do people bash windows 8 when most of them havn't even used it for more than 10 min at an electronics store. The metro side is pretty bad, I'll give that to you, but the desktop side is better than any microsoft os made so far. I never use the metro side and the only time I ever see the start screen is when I boot up/restart. It is alot faster than 7 too..

The desktop is the only thing that's the same with old windows software. As for faster, I don't think so, it seems the same for me. I have a SSD and by the time it takes me to get to the desktop, it's the same. Plus, no windows explorer is like not having finder on a Mac.

Or you can just install StartIsBack for windows 8... Real windows 7 start menu for 8. I've been using it for about 3.5 months now(the entire time I've had this windows 8 computer) haven't had a single problem. Windows key activates the menu like normal windows and the computer boots to desktop once installed.

StartIsBack - real start menu in Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by niklpl8dpokets View Post

Bashing MS is the popular thing to do. Just like you said, most I know among work and friends that are bashing it have never used it, or used it very little. I have it installed on 4 pcs in my house (main desktop, 2 htpcs, and surface pro) and it works fine without any problems. I use it everyday along with a MacBook, ipads, and iPhones. Hell, even the WAF was decent on the switch which is a rarity. She actually preferred it due to the store / app launcher environment that metro introduced, but everyone likes different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I don't blame Apple for not wanting to make an iTunes program that looks like window 8. That's like GM asking rolls Royce to make a car body to fit a GM motor lmao. Hell no!!! Lol
    No it isn't. It's like Microsoft and Apple making cars (applications) and the roads that they drive on (operating systems). Apple eventually makes a car that drives on Microsoft's roads (iTunes for Windows). Years later, the industry starts shifting toward a new electric hover vehicle type (tablet apps) that don't do so well on existing roads, so Apple creates a whole new set of roads (iOS for touch devices/tablets). Microsoft needed to transition existing users so, instead, their roads are expanded and modified to carry the new vehicles (ARM Metro apps), which allows the traditional ones a lot of the same benefits (x86 Metro apps). The problem is that this came with a new licensing system and those licensed to drive the new cars with a RT class license can't drive Apple's existing car (iTunes for Windows) and those with an x86 class license get none of the enhancements on the improved roads (iTunes stuck in Desktop mode).

Yes, my analogy is a lot longer but at least it fits. In short: Apple won't give Microsoft a Win8 Metro iTunes that can run on x86 and RT because that would give RT something the iPad doesn't have (iTunes port). Forcing Metro on x86 users was always Microsoft's trojan horse to get software makers to support it's tablet and phone efforts with apps at the same time. It means that Microsoft's tablet market doesn't have to have nearly the same number of customers to justify making apps for it when it the makers were forced to transition their software intended for the huge and established desktop/laptop market. Just making it for your existing users on x86 Win7 who upgraded to Win8 x86 Metro means you've done almost all the work to put it on WinRT, Win Phone 8, and tablets. Apple isn't falling for that.

Quote Originally Posted by liamcakerboyr View Post
    What did apple port to windows?
    A long time ago iTunes was Mac only and you had to use MusicMatch Jukebox or something for your PC iPod (even longer ago, there was no PC iPod).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast