Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 Found Being More Expensive to Build Than Apple's iPhone 5

Thanks

Default Samsung Galaxy S4 Found Being More Expensive to Build Than Apple's iPhone 5

An analysis of parts found inside Samsung’s new Galaxy S4 has concluded the flagship smartphone is more costly to build than Apple’s iPhone 5, with a price tag of roughly $237 for the 16GB model. The analysis was conducted by IHS iSuppli, finding a great deal of difference between the U.S. and Korean versions of the Galaxy S4. Their estimates found that the AT&T version is cheaper at $237, than the $252 model build for Korea, when the costs of the parts and manufacturing are combined.

The biggest difference in cost comes from the processor as the AT&T model features a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core CPU that is estimated at $20, while the Korean model has a $28 Samsung Exynos 5 Octa. The costs compare to an estimated total of $205 for parts and manufacturing of Apple’s 16 GB iPhone 5. The two competing handsets are pricing comparably with carrier contract subsidies, suggesting that Apple makes greater profit margins on the iPhone 5 than Samsung does with the Galaxy S4.

The estimated values don’t include the money invested in research and development of both the hardware and software of course. The teardowns only represent the component prices and costs to assemble the devices. The most expensive part of the Galaxy S4 is the 5-inch touchscreen display, which is estimated to have a $75 price tag. The Super AMOLED screen features a 441-pixel-per-inch density and is protected by Corning’s Gorilla Glass 3. Other part estimates include the 13-megapixel rear and 2-megapixel front cameras ($18), 16 GBs of storage ($28), power management components ($9), and various sensors ($18).

The total bill of materials cost for the U.S. AT&T version is $229, while the Korean version costs $244. Both have an estimated manufacturing cost of $8.50, which brings them to their respective final costs.

Source: AllThingsD via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

But iPhone 5 looks and feel more expensive.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (05-09-2013), Norb (05-09-2013), Silverado1987 (05-09-2013), ttiger (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Value of plastic must have gone up lol.
    Dang beat me to it i was literally about to post the exact same thing
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (05-09-2013), Simon (05-09-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 754 Posts

Value of plastic must have gone up lol.
    LOL no kidding huh?? If that's the case then? The so called cheap iPhones idea goes right out the door then? right? LMAO

This wouldn't matter much because samsung isn't spending as much money developing the software, unlike apple. They develop both hardware and software, still making the device more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    This wouldn't matter much because samsung isn't spending as much money developing the software, unlike apple. They develop both hardware and software, still making the device more expensive
    I disagree they spend plenty on software. Touchwiz interface I am sure cost Samsung an arm and a leg developing
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Samsung obviously doesn't bill themselves the same price they bill their customers, so the costs are actually much less. I guarantee you that they don't spend $8 more on their own Exynos chip than they do for Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,391 Posts

I found this review of the S4 to be funny!
    -
    http://blog.joshuajanderson.com/revi...medium=twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 7,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    LOL no kidding huh?? If that's the case then? The so called cheap iPhones idea goes right out the door then? right? LMAO
    You believe rumors like that?

Funny how they can spend more money on the S4...and it still feels like crap in your hand.

lol

Guess that just proves that iPhone is an even bigger rip-off to the consumer than previously thought.

My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Thanks

That review was brilliant.
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---

Thanks

You believe rumors like that?
    Of course not LOL, just thought i would throw in there with some sarcasm. Thats all LOL

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Guess that just proves that iPhone is an even bigger rip-off to the consumer than previously thought.
    We're on modmyi, we're going to get an android hate circle going. :P

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 7,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Of course not LOL, just thought i would throw in there with some sarcasm. Thats all LOL
    It would be funny if they did do it after all lol. I just can't see Apple doing that.

Of course it will as its got more advanced features than the iPhone5.

Thanks

It would be funny if they did do it after all lol. I just can't see Apple doing that.
    That's why they have there price structure LOL, like this yr? new iPhone will come out, then the iPhone5 will goto the 99.00 phone and the 4S will goto the .99 or free iPhone. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    Of course it will as its got more advanced features than the iPhone5.
    Ya like the usless dual video call? OR how about the picture w/audio? cant remember the last time i said damn i wish i could make 2 video calls at once, or i wish i could put audio with a picture . I thought thats what video was for? LMAO

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    because samsung isn't spending as much money developing the software
    The phone is so big they can just throw whatever hardware they want in there... That should help keep development costs down 😳

But yet Apple charges an arm and a leg to customers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast