+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Seeks Documents with Android Source Code in Lawsuit against Samsung

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Seeks Documents with Android Source Code in Lawsuit against Samsung

This week has shown some new turns in Apple’s ongoing patent-based struggle against Google’s Android operating system. The iPhone maker is seemingly attempting to pull the search giant deeper into the proceedings in one case while trying to keep Google out of the mix in another. According to Bloomberg, the Cupertino California company asked U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal to force Google to hand over information on the code powering Android. Apple says that information is necessary, given that Samsung, the defendant in the case, makes devices that run Google’s operating system. Google has been less than forthcoming in turning over court-ordered information on Android. Apple attorney, Mark Lyon, had the following to say:

It’s a question of transparency. We have concerns that they’re not doing a full search.
    Not only is the court-ordered Android code at issue, but also means by which Google is going about searching for the code. Apple contends that Google should turn over a wider swath of code in order to ensure that any possibly infringing data is accessible in the trial. Google on the other hand holds that Apple is overstepping its bounds in asking for such a wide berth.

The Google lawyer Matthew Warren says that Apple made a “strategic decision” to leave Google out of its complaint against Samsung. Turning over the search terms that Google is using to go through its code could lead to “future discovery that we don’t think they’re entitled to,” giving Apple “ideas about how to proceed that they wouldn’t have had.”

We’ll have to see how things turn out by being patient but as of right now, both companies have little to show for their year-long patent struggles.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

So basically the Google lawyer is saying that there IS evidence in the code and we don't want Apple to have more ammo.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    So basically the Google lawyer is saying that there IS evidence in the code and we don't want Apple to have more ammo.
    Or they are saying they don't want to provide bait for Apples future fishing expeditions.
    I thought the Android source code was available on Git?
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Samsung Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    Or they are saying they don't want to provide bait for Apples future fishing expeditions.
    Exactly. I thought Android was open source.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Android is open source and you can get it through a git repository

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood6415 View Post
    Samsung Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And here you are going on an apple fanboy rant. I have a Galaxy S3 and I love it more than an iPhone. Samsung didn't do anything wrong and Apple is just trying to start a smartphone and tablet monopoly. I'm getting tired of Apple bullying other companies out of innovation and playing the you infringed on our patent card when all of Apple's patents. Most of Apple's patents are stolen ideas or vague and should have never been granted in the first place. All Apple needs to do is nut up or shut up and accept that there will be competition
    Last edited by Slim J; 05-08-2013 at 08:24 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim J For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (05-08-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple is reaching with this one.

The source code is available through a git repository. I'm confused on what they are really after. Unless they want whatever Samsung injects into the code for it's devices.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Android source code is available, however I believe it's heavily modified as per handset. I'm sure they're trying to see if anything was deliberately copied in their modifications. Samsung has been burned before due to copying, so it doesn't surprise me that they may have done it again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    Android source code is available, however I believe it's heavily modified as per handset. I'm sure they're trying to see if anything was deliberately copied in their modifications. Samsung has been burned before due to copying, so it doesn't surprise me that they may have done it again.
    Read original post again. They are "trying to force Google to hand over the source".
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks

Read original post again. They are "trying to force Google to hand over the source".
    They are also trying to get Google to hand over their search terms for the code, so I'm sure they are trying to see exactly what Google sees when looking at the code provided by the handset manufactures.