+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Becoming Less Important to Foxconn

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Reportedly Becoming Less Important to Foxconn

Foxconn, one of Apple's key manufacturing partners, is said to be interested in reducing its long-term reliance on Apple.

Terry Gou's Foxconn Technology Group has its sights set on the future and growing the company beyond the needs of the iDevice maker. Although some are taking this aspiration as a sign of lost confidence in Apple, Foxconn may also have higher ambitions for its own production capacity.

Its new strategy is a shift away from making products that other companies design, and toward developing products of its own, with an especially aggressive push into designing and manufacturing large, flat-screen televisions.
    “Foxconn senses that the Apple aura isn’t as invincible as before,” says analyst Jamie Wang of research firm Gartner. “So they are worried that they need something besides Apple’s business that will allow them to grow.”

In addition to Apple, Foxconn is presently the biggest contract manufacturer for such American electronics heavyweights as Dell, Hewlett-Packard and Amazon.

Source: New York Times

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

96aman96 (05-07-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's because Foxconn can't produce high quality devices as Apple wants and this move was triggered by Apple returning thousands and thousands of iPhone 5s back to Foxconn because of quality issues.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

*T* (05-07-2013), Colwood (05-07-2013), ohthatguyagain (05-07-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I think it's because Foxconn can't produce high quality devices as Apple wants and this move was triggered by Apple returning thousands and thousands of iPhone 5s back to Foxconn because of quality issues.
    It is smart business move called diversifying, seeking other business ventures so they do not depend solely on Apple.
    Apple returning thousands of idevices out of millions delivered to Apple that is less than 0.1%, which is pretty good quality control if you ask me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You honestly think that is the reason? Thousands returned compared to the millions made, ye they're not producing very good products at all :/ They have seen the shares tumble and realised they need other ventures to make sure they survive and grow as a company.
    Apple do not rule the entire business sector of the world.

Thanks

I'd have to Agree, nothing wrong with the strategy. To Quote,"Never Keep All Your Egg's in One Basket". It's the same for Apple I'm sure they can find Just about ANY Business that can Do the Same as Foxconn. After All SOONER or Later Apple WILL be knocked off the Hill and no longer Be the King of The Hill.

Thanks

When I said "thousands and thousands", I meant 8 million. You guys happy now?

Thanks

Gee I don't doubt they want to get away from apple, they have caused great scrutiny into how humanely they treat their workforce, and with the recent return of what 1 million defective iphones? I can see how they'd want to get out from under a microscope.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Indeed!

Thanks

True that buddy

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

And also... If you manufacture millions of ingeniously conceived devices, you're bound to think you're capable of the same greatness alone and make the foolhardy mistake of trying to do that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the confidence loss is the other way, Apple is losing confidence in Foxconn, yes,yes, it's only thousands out of millions, but a good company tracks and reacts to trending of data not just a total number. The trend here of poorly made devices is definitely on the increase, thus Apple is reacting, and Foxconn is playing defense by looking like they are on the offense.

Thanks
    They Want to make large, flat-screen televisions? yeah where is the turnover in that? that's stupid, I agree with the whole eggs in one basket thing, but when you have a golden egg, you keep it!

Banned
    Thanks

I think Foxconn saw apple stock lose nearly half its value within a 7 month period, followed by weaker than expected demand for the iPhone 4, I mean 4S, I mean 5. in addition to apple's world wide market share falling--all while Samsung & Google are seeing all sots of record sales, profits and stock prices.

They see the writing on the wall.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When I said "thousands and thousands", I meant 8 million. You guys happy now?
    ok, Apple said in January they sold over 500 million devices (should use manufactured but we don't have that number).
    8 million defective out of 500 million sold that is 1.6%, that is still a great quality control number.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    ok, Apple said in January they sold over 500 million devices (should use manufactured but we don't have that number).
    8 million defective out of 500 million sold that is 1.6%, that is still a great quality control number.
    We are talking about iPhone 5. Not iPhone in general. Apple has sold about 55 million iPhone 5s to date. 8 million defective out of 55 million. Do the math.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The 5~8 million is a rumor, since most reports 5 million my guess it is a more accurate number.
    9.1% though is high but consider how many was delivered in such a short time to Apple it is not so bad, and it is within Apple's set 90% QC requirements.
    I really do not see how Apple can change company, I can not think of another company that can produce at the scale Apple demands. I guess we will see with the new company that is producing the new cheap iPhones that is if the rumors is true...