Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adobe Rebrands Creative Suite as Creative Cloud and Goes Subscription-Only

Thanks

Default Adobe Rebrands Creative Suite as Creative Cloud and Goes Subscription-Only

Adobe recently announced the next generation of its popular creativity suite, rebranding it the Creative Cloud and announcing a range of connectivity and functionality improvements. The news was made public at the Adobe MAX creativity conference in Los Angeles. In the process of abandoning the Creative Suite label for Creative Cloud, Adobe signaled its intent to move fully into the mobile and Internet era, abandoning individual standalone editions of its products and moving toward a subscription-only model. The model will see users subscribing to the $50/month Creative Cloud system and receiving updates through that subscription.

As of right now, Adobe has mentioned that it will continue support for its existing Creative Suite 6 products but the company has no plans to release further Creative Suite products. A Creative Cloud membership will include access to virtually every single product Adobe makes, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Typekit, and more. In addition to Adobe’s software, a Creative Cloud membership will include access to services such as Behance, which is an online creative collective. Behance will be tied directly into a Creative Cloud membership, allowing for a streamlined process for sharing to one of the larger collections of creative professionals on the web.

The announcement will include a demonstration of Creative Cloud’s capabilities in document sharing across mobile devices. Files can be stored and accessed across Macs and PCs but also iOS and Android devices with near-instant updating of changes to the material. The demonstration of the sharing capabilities used a notebook, iPad, and a Nexus 10 from Samsung in order to show off the constant updating capabilities of the service, which each device displaying changes as they were made.

Creative Cloud is said to be rolling out in June, customers that own a Creative Suite product already will be able to get their first year of Creative Cloud at the discounted rate of $30 per month. Students and teachers can also get the service at that price and there are promotional prices available for CS6 users. Creative Cloud for teams will run at $70 per month per seat and comes with 100GB of storage and centralized deployment and administration capabilities.

Many people have mixed feelings about the changes – what’s your take?

Source: Adobe

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

It sounds like they dont want anymore piracy of their products. Good job Adobe, because instead of rolling out new security measures and a higher price-point (at least for users who prefer to use only 1 or 2 products), they are re-inventing the software to include syncing features that everybody can benefit from and provide more value to the product itself. *Thumbs up*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aries_green_monkey For This Useful Post:

*T* (05-06-2013)

Not a big fan if this means that I can't purchase individual Adobe software. All I use is Photoshop. I don't need all the other apps. It cost's about $200 each time they come out with a new one to upgrade it. Why would I ever want to spend $50 a month?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trevorrawson For This Useful Post:

*T* (05-06-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

So glad I bought CS6 Design Standard exactly a month ago.

I guess they learned nothing from sim city and every other company that has gotten greedy and attempted to lock users to the cloud in order to insure payment. My power is in my computer. I work a lot offline. And not every adobe user wants to share anything with anyone. This shows disregard for security privacy and individuality in computing all for $.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Not a big fan if this means that I can't purchase individual Adobe software. All I use is Photoshop. I don't need all the other apps. It cost's about $200 each time they come out with a new one to upgrade it. Why would I ever want to spend $50 a month?
    Absolutely, I won't be doing this!! I only use photoshop and sometimes sound booth I will be in the cloud on this one!! Big misstep by adobe for sure. I know they are trying to avoid piracy but really who wants this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Great move... I think this Saas trend will stay for ather 8-10 years.... If you don't offer a Saas model right now, you are missing out on a huge part of the software world.

$50/month to use one app!? I don't think so. Long live Snow Leopard.

Price point is $600 a year. That like buying a full version every year. Sorry pass

Quote Originally Posted by aries_green_monkey View Post
    It sounds like they dont want anymore piracy of their products. Good job Adobe, because instead of rolling out new security measures and a higher price-point (at least for users who prefer to use only 1 or 2 products), they are re-inventing the software to include syncing features that everybody can benefit from and provide more value to the product itself. *Thumbs up*
    No this will do nothing to stop piracy.. the Creative Cloud is not a rebranding, nor is it new.. My company has been using Creative Cloud about a year now..

What this is saying is that they are discontinuing the creative suite which is the option to buy the software with a one time permanent license.. Instead, they are now only offering the Creative Cloud, which is basically just a fancy term for saying you pay for your license by subscription.. either monthly or yearly.. You also get some cloud storage to collaborate with co-workers or whatever.. you no longer own the software, you're renting it.

This will do nothing for piracy because the only thing changing is your license... Adobe software already regularly checks your license key just to make sure it's valid.. but with the cloud they also check to see if it's expired... The rest of it is unchanged.. You still download it, you still install it, you still pop in a key and off you go... Piracy won't be thwarted because all someone has to do is crack the registration like they do every single time already.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oneduality For This Useful Post:

alanjf (05-07-2013), szr (05-07-2013), uri8472 (05-07-2013), znbl (05-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by aries_green_monkey View Post
    It sounds like they dont want anymore piracy of their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by p1mpdog1 View Post
    I know they are trying to avoid piracy but really who wants this?
    This has nothing to do with piracy. Firms like Microsoft, Adobe, Valve, Blizzard, EA, etc, have been growing exponentially over the past 15+ years despite all the claims of being "hurt" and "devastated" by piracy. It's patently obvious that all of these large companies have been using the guise of piracy as an excuse to impose more and more control of (each copy of) their software, to take away the rightful control from the users. This is wrong no matter how you slice it or try to rationalize it. Make no mistake, this was never about piracy, this is and always has been about control, to make it easier to gouge their customers, most of whom don't even realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    I guess they learned nothing from sim city and every other company that has gotten greedy and attempted to lock users to the cloud in order to insure payment. My power is in my computer. I work a lot offline. And not every adobe user wants to share anything with anyone. This shows disregard for security privacy and individuality in computing all for $.
    Exactly. And there has been more and more backlash in more and more cases in the past couple years now, so it seems to be growing. But until enough people wake up to make more of an impact, these firms will not change their ways, because they still have a large enough customer base who guy their products regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscrb15 View Post
    Great move... I think this Saas trend will stay for ather 8-10 years.... If you don't offer a Saas model right now, you are missing out on a huge part of the software world.
    This is just wrong on so many levels. Suddenly moving a traditional local-style software package like Photoshop to a subscription/cloud/always-on based model is very likely going to loosing more customers than it will gain. People are simply too used to such software just being installed on their system and that's it, just launch it and have fun, no Internet connection required. Also, no everyone uses software like Photoshop especially, on computers on in places that have a reliable or any Internet connection, so always having to be online just to use such software is probably not going to go over well with a lot of people.

What I foresee happening is a lot of people sticking with CS6, 5, etc that they already have, instead of wasting money on the newer subscription based version, as ultimately it will be a lot more expensive. As someone else notes, this is about control, an attempt to make sure people make monthly to the point that they end up paying more yearly than before, as not everyone would spring for an upgrade every year. SAAS is little more than a tool to help enforce upgrading.

I'll purchase CS6 Master suite and be done with adobe. There's no way I will subscribe to the cloud. They are just getting too greedy.