+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: BlackBerry Boss Balks at Lasting Tablet Popularity

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,724
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

    Default BlackBerry Boss Balks at Lasting Tablet Popularity


    BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins doesn't believe in the permanence of popularity when it comes to tablet computers. In a new interview, Heins expressed doubt that these must-have devices will still be in-demand by the close of the decade.

    "In five years I don’t think there’ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore,” Heins says. “Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model.”

    And Heins would know.

    After BlackBerry stumbled in the tablet space, the company resolved to focus its efforts on building up the struggling BlackBerry smartphone brand. And so far, the company's newfound focus on the BlackBerry line is paying off. Consequently, it doesn't appear that Heins has designs on the tablet market in the future.

    “In five years, I see BlackBerry to be the absolute leader in mobile computing -- that’s what we’re aiming for,” Heins says. “I want to gain as much market share as I can, but not by being a copycat.”

    Source: Bloomberg

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,243
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Haha! BB the leading company in mobile computing.....that's a good one!

  3. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    This just sounds like a wee boy that's lost a fight and saying he won't play with the other boys anymore!

  4. #4
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts

    Ridiculous. We know they exist in the future - just watch Star Trek!

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6309phone For This Useful Post:

    GrumpySod (04-30-2013), GuiltyGearIsaac (04-30-2013)

  6. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Haha! BB the leading company in mobile computing.....that's a good one!
    +1

    Lmao! Ya, BB will be the new Apple and Mircosoft will be the new Samsung and oh ya, Hell will freeze over just in time for the Unicorn apocalypse of 2020. F off BB, as long as Apple still makes iPads people will still want tablets
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

  7. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    I'm pretty sure most of the BB articles belong on the Onion, they are quite comical.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

    2fast (05-01-2013)

  9. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    648
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts

    Good markets share requires a good product. Back in the day it was a good product but by today's standards, Blackberry is like t-9 texting.

  10. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,605
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 188 Times in 135 Posts

    P.S. BlackBerry..sell already. That is all for now.

  11. #9
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    People still listen to a word of what he says?

  12. #10
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    P.S. BlackBerry..sell already. That is all for now.
    I see no reason for there to be blackberrys they are old outdated technology go away quietly You Suk! Heins

  13. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 6309phone View Post
    Ridiculous. We know they exist in the future - just watch Star Trek!
    This is hysterical!!!! Truly made my day!!!!

    Thanks!

    -Kirk Out!

  14. #12
    iPhoneaholic AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    He's irrelevant in the New World Order. It's Apple & Samsung's World BB is just in the Corner, trying to BE relevant.

  15. #13
    *T*
    *T* is offline
    Grumpy *T*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turn around slowly...
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts

    To be honest, I'm sure there are going to be a lot of haters following this but I never thought tablets would succeed in the first place. I just don't see the appeal. I doubt tablets will be going away anytime soon, but who knows. Maybe it is a fad after all.

  16. #14
    iPhoneaholic GuiltyGearIsaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Houston,Tx
    Posts
    463
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 233 Times in 143 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 6309phone View Post
    Ridiculous. We know they exist in the future - just watch Star Trek!
    Wow most ironic comment of the day!

  17. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life exNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,056
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 171 Times in 125 Posts

    You let your phones almost become entirely obsolete, your tablet was probably made by the dell axim people and you think you'll be in charge of computing?

    How about being the leader of fail in the next five years?

  18. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts

    smh im not sure Blackberry will be around in the next decade not unless they pull a nokia and join windows platform lol

  19. #17
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    To be honest, I'm sure there are going to be a lot of haters following this but I never thought tablets would succeed in the first place. I just don't see the appeal. I doubt tablets will be going away anytime soon, but who knows. Maybe it is a fad after all.
    I thought the same way until I purchased an iPad. Tablets are not going anywhere.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perceptum For This Useful Post:

    5kylar (04-30-2013), vinaygoel2000 (04-30-2013)

  21. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    750
    Thanked 205 Times in 88 Posts

    It's funny to see people say "Apple and Samsung will dominate the smartphone market forever" or "tablets will last forever! They aren't going anywhere." People said the same thing about VCRs and polaroid cameras -- look at them
    now.

    Oh, and mega companies can fall off the charts if consumers' tastes change or if a new product comes out that make smartphones or tablets obsolete. I know it is probably difficult to imagine, but it has happened repeatedly throughout history and will continue. If any of the current dominant players of a market, in this case smartphones and tablets, miss out on that new product they will have to play catch up. Just take a look at Intel.

    Point being, science and technology can change at the blink of an eye. We have some extraordinary people on this earth working day in and out to bring us gadgets and technology that could make a tablet or smartphone look rudimentary.
    Last edited by jghost; 05-01-2013 at 01:09 AM.

  22. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    smh im not sure Blackberry will be around in the next decade not unless they pull a nokia and join windows platform lol
    Nokia is far from save and windows is still not the os of choice!

  23. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 28 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jghost View Post
    It's funny to see people say "Apple and Samsung will dominate the smartphone market forever" or "tablets will last forever! They aren't going anywhere." People said the same thing about VCRs and polaroid cameras -- look at them
    now.

    Oh, and mega companies can fall off the charts if consumers' tastes change or if a new product comes out that make smartphones or tablets obsolete. I know it is probably difficult to imagine, but it has happened repeatedly throughout history and will continue. If any of the current dominant players of a market, in this case smartphones and tablets, miss out on that new product they will have to play catch up. Just take a look at Intel.

    Point being, science and technology can change at the blink of an eye. We have some extraordinary people on this earth working day in and out to bring us gadgets and technology that could make a tablet or smartphone look rudimentary.
    I'm not saying nobody will ever overcome Apple.. I'm just saying it won't be Blackberry
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts