+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nest Learning Thermostat Receives Update - Several New Features Added

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Nest Learning Thermostat Receives Update - Several New Features Added

The popular makers of the Nest Learning Thermostat have pushed out an update for their device, adding the ability for the thermostat to adjust its behavior to sunlight as well as a slew of other new features. Owners of first or second-generation Nest devices will automatically receive the version 3.5 update in the next few days if they have their thermostats hooked up to Wi-Fi, according to the Nest blog. The update will allow the thermostat to use its built-in light sensor to detect when it is in direct sunlight and to adjust its temperature settings accordingly. The feature is dubbed Sunblock and will turn on after at least one day of Nest being in direct sunlight.

The update also brings the ability to set Nest to run a fan all night and turn off in the morning or to run any other user specifications thanks to new options for Advanced Fan Control. Other new features include Cool to Dry, in which Nest uses its humidity sensor to detect humidity levels and turn on the air condition when needed; Enhanced Auto-Away, which allows the thermostat to better understand your schedule and Auto-Tune, which finds opportunities to save energy and help users take advantage of them. Specific information on each of the new features is available on Nestís site for those of you who are interested.

The company also announced that it will be updating the Nest Mobile app for iOS and Android. The updates are aimed at making the changing temperate more natural, similar to turning the ring on the Nest itself. The updates will also bring the ability for Nest to message users when they need to change their filters or perform some other action.

According to Nest Founder Matt Rogers, since thermostats are meant to be put in a home and expected to last for years, the company will be looking to expand capabilities not through continual hardware updates but instead through regular software updates. The company seems to be providing thus far, letís see how it keeps up!

Source: Nest (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sniper488's Avatar
    Thanks

I like our Nest thermostat.
    When first bought it, thought it was broke because front glass is in two pieces. If you look close at picture, you can see it.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,054 Times in 4,200 Posts

Love mine done payed for itself already. And new update is very nice.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I bought two Nests in November and loved them. Just replaced my HVAC system with all Carrier Infinity equipment, so we went with the Infinity stats, which are awesome, but I miss the minimalist look of the Nests. I'd recommend them to anyone.

off to eBay to sell the Nests, I guess.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    I like our Nest thermostat.
    When first bought it, thought it was broke because front glass is in two pieces. If you look close at picture, you can see it.
    Haha! Me too! I was pissed at first.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I was part of the Kickstarter campaign for Nest. We have saved money on our utility bills using Nest and I would recommend it to anyone. It has more than paid for itself. I also like the monthly usage statement it gives me. I am usually in the top 10% of Nesters. If you have thought about getting one just do it. You will be glad you did.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can someone explain how this will save money vs. a regular off-the-shelf programmable thermostat?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Got mine Yesterday and installed in 15 minutes!!! Now I just love walking by it just to see it light up!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I was part of the Kickstarter campaign for Nest. We have saved money on our utility bills using Nest and I would recommend it to anyone. It has more than paid for itself. I also like the monthly usage statement it gives me. I am usually in the top 10% of Nesters. If you have thought about getting one just do it. You will be glad you did.
    On Kickstarter, did they mention how they came up with the design idea?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My therm is in the hallway so no sunlight would hit it...how would Nest help that?