+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: WWDC 2013 Sells Out in Seconds

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,714
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

    Default WWDC 2013 Sells Out in Seconds


    Going... going... gone.

    On Thursday morning, tickets to Apple's 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference went on sale. And moments later, they were all gone.

    Within seconds, Apple logged the fastest WWDC sell-out in company history.

    Last year, it took close to two hours for the sell-out to occur. This year, it was two minutes - not bad when you consider the passes come with a $1,599 price tag.

    Fueling stronger-than-usual interest this time around is the admission by Apple that both iOS and OS X refreshes will be unveiled at the conference, which spans June 10 through June 14.

    “We look forward to gathering at WWDC 2013 with the incredible community of iOS and OS X developers,” says Phil Schiller, the senior vice president of worldwide marketing at Apple. “Our developers have had the most prolific and profitable year ever, and we’re excited to show them the latest advances in software technologies and developer tools to help them create innovative new apps,” the executive concluded. “We can’t wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC.”

    Source: Apple

  2. #2
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

    Damn that's crazy!! 1600 bucks??? Wow haha. Had no idea it was that much to go to that thing.

    Excited to see what ios7 has in store for us

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, Texas, United States
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    1600? No thanks! I'll stay at home and watch the blogs post the play by play online.

  4. #4
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,285
    Thanks
    41,198
    Thanked 17,393 Times in 6,351 Posts

    $1600! Yeah, because Apple needs the $$$
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Masshole
    Posts
    297
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    $1600! Yeah, because Apple needs the $$$
    Why not make profit where profit can be made? That's what companies do. You think Apple is a charity case?

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Expensive, but I'd like to go sometime just for the experience.

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 28 Times in 17 Posts

    How many seat capacity

    74 tickets sold, would pay off that Chinese court fine.

  8. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by filabeaner View Post
    1600? No thanks! I'll stay at home and watch the blogs post the play by play online.
    Agreed! Maybe they'll stream the preview for iOS 7 to Apple TV like they did for the iPhone 5 and iPad mini release?

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Can someone please explain to me why tickets for WWDC are priced so high? Why would anyone pay so much money ($1,600 a ticket) for what will be broadcast on ever relevant tech news site as well as there likely being live 'casts of the event (as I seem to recall from past years) as well as many other sources?

    I have been to many other kinds of events at places like SF's Moscone Center (where WWDC is held) and others, like exhibitions, various trade shows, and some conferences over the years, etc and many of them were and are usually $5 to $20 to get in. There was one conference a few years ago that I recall being around $100 and that's the most I've ever had to pay to get into any convention hall anywhere and seemed like a rare occurrence.

    So what exactly is Apple's justification for what appears to be such a comparatively ludicrous ticket premium for this sort of event? It seems to me that this unnecessarily cuts out a lot of smaller developers who can't simply shell out $1,600 for a single ticket, especially when the same content will be public anyways.

    If there is something that I am missing that I'm more than happy to be corrected, though from where I'm presently sitting, this seems nothing less than another example of how people allow Apple to exploit them price-wise; I just don't get why people tolerate this (unless, again, there is something I'm just not seeing.)

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Owasso,OK
    Posts
    30,675
    Thanks
    1,049
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why tickets for WWDC are priced so high? Why would anyone pay so much money ($1,600 a ticket) for what will be broadcast on ever relevant tech news site as well as there likely being live 'casts of the event (as I seem to recall from past years) as well as many other sources?

    I have been to many other kinds of events at places like SF's Moscone Center (where WWDC is held) and others, like exhibitions, various trade shows, and some conferences over the years, etc and many of them were and are usually $5 to $20 to get in. There was one conference a few years ago that I recall being around $100 and that's the most I've ever had to pay to get into any convention hall anywhere and seemed like a rare occurrence.

    So what exactly is Apple's justification for what appears to be such a comparatively ludicrous ticket premium for this sort of event? It seems to me that this unnecessarily cuts out a lot of smaller developers who can't simply shell out $1,600 for a single ticket, especially when the same content will be public anyways.

    If there is something that I am missing that I'm more than happy to be corrected, though from where I'm presently sitting, this seems nothing less than another example of how people allow Apple to exploit them price-wise; I just don't get why people tolerate this (unless, again, there is something I'm just not seeing.)
    Yes your messing a huge part. At WWDC apple brings a lot of its internal engineers that put on classes and rub elbows with developers. It's a great way to get your name or app out and in front of apple. When Tim cook steps on stage and talks about what's new with apple is just a bonus and is really just for show and is intended I would say for the end user.
    WWDC is a week long. Multiple classes and the education you can get from there is extremely valuable. And the people you get to rub elbows with can really boost your development of what ever your working on to the next level.
    There is a 1/5 ratio between attendees and engineers. Something like 1000 engineers will be there.

    Also think that the tickets are so high just to weed out people that are just there for when Tim gets on stage and not going to take advantage of the priceless tools and classes that last all week.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

    Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Yes your messing a huge part. At WWDC apple brings a lot of its internal engineers that put on classes and rub elbows with developers. It's a great way to get your name or app out and in front of apple. When Tim cook steps on stage and talks about what's new with apple is just a bonus and is really just for show and is intended I would say for the end user.
    WWDC is a week long. Multiple classes and the education you can get from there is extremely valuable. And the people you get to rub elbows with can really boost your development of what ever your working on to the next level.
    There is a 1/5 ratio between attendees and engineers. Something like 1000 engineers will be there.

    Also think that the tickets are so high just to weed out people that are just there for when Tim gets on stage and not going to take advantage of the priceless tools and classes that last all week.
    Ok, thank you very much for your reply. I fully understand about the classes and tools and mingling with engineers and that it lasts multiple days et al. But as I've said, I've heard of and have attended various types of shows that carried a tiny fraction of of the price of admission that Apple charges, and they lasted around a week as well with various seminars and speakers. I honestly don't buy the "weed out" excuse that you have given, as it really doesn't explain why the price needs to be anywhere near this high as it currently is.

    I'm not denying that their is a lot of valuable content and people there, but I honestly don't see how the price of admission is justified, especially, when you factor in the fact that everyone the Apple developer program already pays a $100 annual fee. And I recall seeing a report about two years ago shows that Apple makes several thousand times in those ticket sales above what it actually costs them to put on this event, so I feel forced to conclude that it's not about recouping costs, but perhaps rather it feels like yet another way for their to appear more prestigious than others.

  12. #12
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    Ok, thank you very much for your reply. I fully understand about the classes and tools and mingling with engineers and that it lasts multiple days et al. But as I've said, I've heard of and have attended various types of shows that carried a tiny fraction of of the price of admission that Apple charges, and they lasted around a week as well with various seminars and speakers. I honestly don't buy the "weed out" excuse that you have given, as it really doesn't explain why the price needs to be anywhere near this high as it currently is.

    I'm not denying that their is a lot of valuable content and people there, but I honestly don't see how the price of admission is justified, especially, when you factor in the fact that everyone the Apple developer program already pays a $100 annual fee. And I recall seeing a report about two years ago shows that Apple makes several thousand times in those ticket sales above what it actually costs them to put on this event, so I feel forced to conclude that it's not about recouping costs, but perhaps rather it feels like yet another way for their to appear more prestigious than others.
    I think the simple answer is the convention is for Developers. With the hands on labs and training you can obtain with how long it is, I would say that the price is about right. Classes and training in my field of work is about 1400 dollars for a week of training classes.

    Also it's obvious that the price is well worth it in the fact that this even always sells out very quickly lol

  13. #13
    Super Moderator Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Owasso,OK
    Posts
    30,675
    Thanks
    1,049
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

    +1
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

    Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

  14. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    I think the simple answer is the convention is for Developers. With the hands on labs and training you can obtain with how long it is, I would say that the price is about right. Classes and training in my field of work is about 1400 dollars for a week of training classes.
    With all due respect, you cannot compare a full fledged course with a week long seminar and exhibition show that happens to have training courses, even as good as they may be. I've been to WWDC before but have yet to see anything that warrants the ticket premium. There is a ton of useful information you can get from there, from the labs and seminars and such, but in the end one can find all this information elsewhere without the premium. Yes, it's great to be able to mingle with developers and such, but with all the communication so many of us use everyday to communicate, is that worth it to pay so much just to be able to do the same thing but in person?
    Also it's obvious that the price is well worth it in the fact that this even always sells out very quickly lol
    1) Just because people buy into something en masse doesn't mean it's actually worth it. Generally speaking, there are people who spend a great portion of their lives learning how to successfully manipulate large groups of people, so I'm sorry, that reasoning by itself has very little meaning unless you can reenforce it with a stronger argument.

    2) I've never seen WWDC ever truly sell out in terms of actually coming close to filling capacity. Apple is well known for creating artificial scarcity and using it as an excuse to drive up cost (yes, they are far from the only ones, but they are one of the worst offenders), as I know that the part of Moscone it takes I'm sorry, I've yet to see anything there that truly warrants the price of admission.

    3) Other companies and entities hold similar conferences but charge a small fraction of the price to addend so what is really Apple's justification?

  15. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Also, Cowboy and subywrex, I haven't seen either of you address the point about needlessly excluding those among developers who can't simply shell out the $1,600, especially when you consider that in many cases one would also already paying a tidy sum for airfare and also for a room somewhere to sleep in. I know a lot of people who develop software for a living who would probably love to be able to go to a show like that but just can't afford that kind of total cost by a good stretch. And they aren't poor or poverty stricken, but your average middle class people. Why should people like that be excluded like that? What is the real justification, as I've yet to see a true solid reason as to why?

    Can anyone really tell me that someone who is out of college is making money but also paying off college loans among other financial obligations is really going to be able to afford a trip like that, where the ticket to get in costs more than a plane ticket in some cases, not to mention paying for a place to stay? I honestly can't help but feel that Apple as truly forgotten it's roots, having started in a garage in a typical middle class neighborhood, and later those who helped keep them in business.

  16. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    This really is yet another indication of greed of Apple, of those who drive such decisions. I wish I could understand why such premiums are tolerated in the first place, as that's what keeps prices high for everyone else. Nothing will change without more balls being flexed. 1,600 USD for an event like WWDC, as useful as it way be, is still a huge needless premium that only exist for the purpose of furthering Apple's faux prestige.

  17. #17
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    With all due respect, you cannot compare a full fledged course with a week long seminar and exhibition show that happens to have training courses, even as good as they may be. I've been to WWDC before but have yet to see anything that warrants the ticket premium. There is a ton of useful information you can get from there, from the labs and seminars and such, but in the end one can find all this information elsewhere without the premium. Yes, it's great to be able to mingle with developers and such, but with all the communication so many of us use everyday to communicate, is that worth it to pay so much just to be able to do the same thing but in person?
    1) Just because people buy into something en masse doesn't mean it's actually worth it. Generally speaking, there are people who spend a great portion of their lives learning how to successfully manipulate large groups of people, so I'm sorry, that reasoning by itself has very little meaning unless you can reenforce it with a stronger argument.

    2) I've never seen WWDC ever truly sell out in terms of actually coming close to filling capacity. Apple is well known for creating artificial scarcity and using it as an excuse to drive up cost (yes, they are far from the only ones, but they are one of the worst offenders), as I know that the part of Moscone it takes I'm sorry, I've yet to see anything there that truly warrants the price of admission.

    3) Other companies and entities hold similar conferences but charge a small fraction of the price to addend so what is really Apple's justification?
    What people will pay for something most definitely puts a price tag on its worth. Obviously a lot of developers shelled out the money to be apart. Weather it's because of the education or other prospects.

    Because it isn't valuable for me or you doesn't make it less valuable to someone else. Like you said you've been and it has nothing to offer you.

    WWDC is completely voluntary, I could see your argument if you we're required to attend if you wanted to he a developer, however being that it isn't mandatory the price the put on it obviously works. And if they make money, isn't that what business is about?

  18. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    What people will pay for something most definitely puts a price tag on its worth. Obviously a lot of developers shelled out the money to be apart. Weather it's because of the education or other prospects.

    Because it isn't valuable for me or you doesn't make it less valuable to someone else. Like you said you've been and it has nothing to offer you.

    WWDC is completely voluntary, I could see your argument if you we're required to attend if you wanted to he a developer, however being that it isn't mandatory the price the put on it obviously works. And if they make money, isn't that what business is about?
    First of all, I never said it had nothing to offer me, not sure what you based that assumption on, but it's wrong. Second of all, you're ignoring the fact that there are people who will pay because they feel they have no choice and so they pay and nothing really changes. Lastly, there are probably a lot of people excluded because of this price, as others have pointed out, not everyone can afford to shell out several thousand for the event ticket + plane + hotel/etc. Over pricing entry to an event like this really is a disservice to a lot of people.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Owasso,OK
    Posts
    30,675
    Thanks
    1,049
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    First of all, I never said it had nothing to offer me, not sure what you based that assumption on, but it's wrong. Second of all, you're ignoring the fact that there are people who will pay because they feel they have no choice and so they pay and nothing really changes. Lastly, there are probably a lot of people excluded because of this price, as others have pointed out, not everyone can afford to shell out several thousand for the event ticket + plane + hotel/etc. Over pricing entry to an event like this really is a disservice to a lot of people.
    There are alot of other apple based conferences that are way cheaper that can be attended through out the year. You pay the high premium for the high quality of education and the people you get to be around. That is it. No reason to complain or call it a disservice it is what it is.
    Apple is nice enough to give 150 students to attend for free. So they aren't all about greed.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

    Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

  20. #20
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    Also, Cowboy and subywrex, I haven't seen either of you address the point about needlessly excluding those among developers who can't simply shell out the $1,600, especially when you consider that in many cases one would also already paying a tidy sum for airfare and also for a room somewhere to sleep in. I know a lot of people who develop software for a living who would probably love to be able to go to a show like that but just can't afford that kind of total cost by a good stretch. And they aren't poor or poverty stricken, but your average middle class people. Why should people like that be excluded like that? What is the real justification, as I've yet to see a true solid reason as to why?

    Can anyone really tell me that someone who is out of college is making money but also paying off college loans among other financial obligations is really going to be able to afford a trip like that, where the ticket to get in costs more than a plane ticket in some cases, not to mention paying for a place to stay? I honestly can't help but feel that Apple as truly forgotten it's roots, having started in a garage in a typical middle class neighborhood, and later those who helped keep them in business.
    There are many things in life that you will get left out on because you can't afford it. That's the nature of the beast.

    Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    First of all, I never said it had nothing to offer me, not sure what you based that assumption on, but it's wrong. Second of all, you're ignoring the fact that there are people who will pay because they feel they have no choice and so they pay and nothing really changes. Lastly, there are probably a lot of people excluded because of this price, as others have pointed out, not everyone can afford to shell out several thousand for the event ticket + plane + hotel/etc. Over pricing entry to an event like this really is a disservice to a lot of people.
    Correction You said you have been and don't feel it benefits you enough for that price. And again your speaking of relative terms to your own.

    Also who cares if someone can't go because of price. Is that a companies fault? I don't fly to Hawaii because I can't afford that. Does that make hotel companies and airlines unfair because they don't price so ever Tom **** and Harry can afford it?

    It's the same with Apple computers. Not everyone can afford them including myself. Does that make apple unfair for not lowering down there prices?

    I also have no clue why your so defensive over it. People can charge what they want. And again enough people wanted to go bad enough that it sold out in 2 minutes. If people feel "forced" to buy as you stated, well that's there own problems. No one is pointing a gun to there head
    Last edited by subywrex; 04-26-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts