Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IT Solutions Company Deems Apple's MacBook Pro "Best Performing Windows Laptop"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UrghArgh View Post
    Your prices are complete nonsense. If the market existed for custom built laptops, the parts would certainly not cost anywhere near the over-inflated cost of Apple parts. And nobody would be building MacBooks, just like nobody builds Dell towers.
    They aren't apple parts anymore... They are the same parts that are in a PC now. If you can find the mobile parts you will see that they are very expensive. The i7 in a MacBook Pro is $400 alone. The only thing I mentioned that was Apple was the case. Would you want to carry around a steel laptop case? No, it would be hot as hell, and plastic is just ugly and not as durable. If a case maker like Lian Li made an aluminum laptop case you can surely bet it would be $400.

Thanks

Again, there is NO MARKET FOR CUSTOM LAPTOPS. If there was, prices would come down significantly. Lian Li would certainly not be the only case manufacturer, there would be bargain cases readily available. There would be combo deals (mobo/cpu, cpu/gpu, mobo/RAM, etc...). Only an idiot wouldn't be able to find a way to build a laptop for around $600-$800.

Your prices are complete nonsense in this context - you're pricing parts in a market where there are no custom options. Of course parts now are expensive as crap, especially when the manufacturers don't want you fixing/upgrading your own hardware, they want you to buy new every 1-2 years.
    You have completely missed the point of my original post. Currently you cannot build a laptop for a reasonable price. In 10yrs if there was a market prices might be lower. But right now and in the next few years you CANNOT build a laptop like you can a tower, end of story. The original post I quoted compared the cost of a laptop to the price of building your own tower, there is no comparison to be made there. You can argue if there was a market for anything then prices might be cheaper but there is no market so prices are and will continue to be high for quite sometime.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 04-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WiiWendy View Post
    As I was reading all I could think was these complainers have never used or owned a Mac book pro or they would understand what's up. I owned pc's for years, did all the work on them myself (formats etc) and my family's and friends too. (No I'm not an IT. I'm self taught. Easy for PC's)
    Then after getting so tired if having to fix them I finally saved up for my Mac book pro 13in. I have never had to repair format anything!! Just bought Mac Keeper and I'm good to go. The money I'd spent on pc's since 1998 I could have at least 7 Mac books. So say what you want about Mercedes - Honda, whatever, but think about it which would you REALLY rather drive.
    Either you are not telling the truth by a mile or you are horrible with working with PC, but if you spent enough to have at least 7 mac books then something is seriously wrong and I wonder why you would keep doing it and not think.

Give people some credit. Most people here who spent the time to read the articles and make an account have played with macs and probably own one or two apple product. Otherwise they wouldn't be here. I myself am a previous owner of a macbook pro but no longer. I only have an iphone and ipad now. Like many here, I love gadgets. From any maker. Even if it's not that useful. I'm here once in a while to read up on what's new and what's coming out next. Design attracts everyone and apple designs very well. I have my eye on a new macbook pro retina in the near future. Mostly because of how nice it looks, not for the OS. And I know ALOT of mac owners out there feel the same way. Not saying most, but ALOT. They look really nice. They are built very solid. The OS, something you have to get used to. If you know how to use a windows computer, you have all the programs you need, all the settings you like, and you can do just about anything with your eyes closed because you know it that well.

Going back to why you spent so much working/fixing a pc, I still don't understand it. My HP and Dell laptops run without issues easily over 4 years each and still going. I install windows OS and programs properly so things run without conflict. Settings are done properly. resources are managed. I think if you don't know what you are doing and don't know how the softwares and tweaks you make conflict with other softwares, you are going to get errors. Sure, you shouldn't need to do so much attention paying just to run a computer but keep in mind a computer is not a simple thing. The software you are running is one software, made to run on many many different hardwares and softwares. You can't predict every issue.

Mac OS is designed to run only on their hardware and no other. It's designed for people who are not really technical people. The OS is an easy to use and pre configured software. They remove many custom settings so you can't mess things up. Easy to use doesn't mean not powerful. The design of the software for a specific hardware makes the machine pretty smooth. Open up the OS and make it available to install on any computer, it is bound to have the same issues as any universal OS.

If some of you are still arguing that PC are less reliable and fail so often, ask yourself why do most, if not all corp, agencies, retails still use PC as their main computer system? If they have so many issues and break down alot, it's not really good for business. Replacement cost and most costly of all, downtime, is a major thing. Money is not an issue for them if you think they are not buying mac cause it cost too much. Keep in mind that a similar spec and similar build quality PC cost just as much as a mac so the cost argument is out. With so so many PC out there running and managing critical operations, it says alot about their reliability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snap1500 View Post
    Keep in mind that a similar spec and similar build quality PC cost just as much as a mac so the cost argument is out.
    This is the reason I bought a Mac Pro instead of a Dell XPS. when I spec'd them as close as possible they were about the same price. I chose the Mac Pro, for the server grade hardware and the ability to run both Windows and OSX without having to do all the driver hacking for a Hackintosh.

There are 3 main reasons:

1. Many businesses fell into the proprietary software trap and are stuck on Windows.
    2. Many businesses use old software for which there is no Mac-compatible equivalent.
    3. Many businesses can't justify the expense of a Mac when a super cheap PC meets their needs just fine.

Money is an issue for businesses. Most businesses don't need super duper performing computers. The majority will settle for PCs that are cheap and just powerful enough to suit their needs or that can be easily upgraded or repaired if necessary. There is no such Mac that fits that description anymore. There is far more value in a $400 Dell that you can upgrade and repair on your own than a much more expensive Mac that cannot be upgraded or repaired by the on-staff "computer guy". Thus they'll continue to buy junk $400 Dells that die the day after the warranty expires.
    Ah, if only that we're true. Too bad reality disagrees with you. Just to name one large corp, Cisco Systems, which has many tens of thousands of employees. When given the choice to get either a pc or a Mac, more are choosing Mac. They were adopted using a self-support model -- no official support by IT, you're on your own. They adoption rate of macs, and the abandonment rate of windows-based systems caused IT to finally offer some support as a matter of self preservation: they were having so little to support they starting losing jobs. They still have little to do thanks to the reliability and ease-of-use of the Mac. It's not for everyone, but even with those that go back to Windows, a number of them just install and boot Windows on their Mac or run in a vm all the time.

There are 3 main reasons:

1. Many businesses fell into the proprietary software trap and are stuck on Windows.
    2. Many businesses use old software for which there is no Mac-compatible equivalent.
    3. Many businesses can't justify the expense of a Mac when a super cheap PC meets their needs just fine.

Money is an issue for businesses. Most businesses don't need super duper performing computers. The majority will settle for PCs that are cheap and just powerful enough to suit their needs or that can be easily upgraded or repaired if necessary. There is no such Mac that fits that description anymore. There is far more value in a $400 Dell that you can upgrade and repair on your own than a much more expensive Mac that cannot be upgraded or repaired by the on-staff "computer guy". Thus they'll continue to buy junk $400 Dells that die the day after the warranty expires.
    4. Most large businesses don't have a "computer guy"; they have an IT Department. The local school board here has around 400 employees with IT costs which run just over $1,000,000 a year and the computers still have issues.

What is peace of mind worth to you? I know the Mac isn't flawless but do you really think a company who's saving a few hundred dollars per machine (for 400 machines) is really saving money by dumping $1,000,000 a year to deal with cleaning out malware on a regular basis?

Once you think big the cost of maintaining Windows PC's starts to get pretty high.

You misunderstand - I agree with you. What I'm saying is that many businesses find it hard to plop down a boatload of cash now to replace all of their crap PCs with Macs. Instead, they don't look at the big picture and only consider the immediate cost. I know that saving a few hundred per machine is not actually saving when you're talking the difference between a Mac and a PC. Most businesses will not buy 10 iMacs that will cost about $13,000 instead of 10 PCs that will cost about $4,000 because they're looking at saving $9,000 now and are not concerned with what they may have to spend later.
    Fair enough. I guess as more small businesses switch over from anything Windows-based the larger corporations will see the benefit and savings of not needing an entire team to maintain their computers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12