Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Can Retain Siri Data for Two Years

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Can Retain Siri Data for Two Years

Let's say your first user experience with Siri took place approximately eighteen months ago. You may not even remember what you asked of Siri in those early days of experimentation with the service. But there's a good chance that Apple does.

From questions to commands, everything that users put into Siri remains with Apple for up to two years. That's not a guess or a rumor. That's an admission straight from Apple, which confirmed today that anonymized user data is retained for approximately 24 months.

As of this writing, Siri itself isn't yet 24 months ago, as the feature was only made available to iOS users in late 2011.

To be perfectly clear, here's what Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller says: “Apple may keep anonymized Siri data for up to two years... If a user turns Siri off, both identifiers are deleted immediately along with any associated data.”

From Wired:

Whenever you speak into Apple’s voice activated personal digital assistant, it ships it off to Apple’s data farm for analysis. Apple generates a random numbers to represent the user and it associates the voice files with that number. This number — not your Apple user ID or email address — represents you as far as Siri’s back-end voice analysis system is concerned. Once the voice recording is six months old, Apple “disassociates” your user number from the clip, deleting the number from the voice file. But it keeps these disassociated files for up to 18 more months for testing and product improvement purposes.
    Apple has recently come under pressure to reveal how it stores data born of Siri's usage. Many consumer privacy advocates feel that Apple should be more transparent.

Source: Wired

So if I used Siri all I have do is disable it every few days and Apple don't get to keep their mitts on my information

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

I think people blow this privacy stuff waay out of proportion. It's all anonymous. Any company collecting data does so for legitimate reasons. Every time I turn around it seems people are going crazy over something tracking them. Who cares :P

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

Deepfriedbaconandsnickers (04-21-2013), emerica6708 (04-19-2013), Evaded (04-20-2013)

Thank god I wear my foil hat when using Siri

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpySod For This Useful Post:

Evaded (04-20-2013)

Keep on thinking that, your in for a big surprise if you think companies keep your personal data a secret or use it responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    I think people blow this privacy stuff waay out of proportion. It's all anonymous. Any company collecting data does so for legitimate reasons. Every time I turn around it seems people are going crazy over something tracking them. Who cares :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Keep on thinking that, your in for a big surprise if you think companies keep your personal data a secret or use it responsibly.
    What kind of surprise? Like more spam mail?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Sir, John has asked Siri "Where can I bury a body 57 times," is that call for alarm? Do you think we should call someone on that?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
    Lol. U get 2 kool points for that

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
    Yeah lol! Pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    So if I used Siri all I have do is disable it every few days and Apple don't get to keep their mitts on my information
    Apple don't know its your information, your voice files are linked to a random number, not you personally. So what does it matter?