+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Annie: iOS App Store Revenue Leads Google Play

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default App Annie: iOS App Store Revenue Leads Google Play

On Wednesday, App Annie reported that Google Play still lags behind Apple’s iOS App Store when it comes to revenue generation.

According to App Annie, iOS App Store revenue is now more than double that of Google Play's.

From Q4 2012 to Q1 2013, iOS App Store quarterly revenue grew by roughly one-quarter. Meanwhile, Google Play app revenue grew by roughly 90%. While Google Play had the higher growth rate, the iOS App Store gained more in absolute revenue and earned about 2.6x that of Google Play in Q1.
    In a “booming global app economy,” App Annie reports, “the United States leads iOS App Store revenue growth, while Japan and South Korea drive Google Play revenue growth."

Not surprisingly, games remain the leading driver of all app revenue growth. By Q1 2013, in fact, the game category had grown to cover approximately 70% of revenue in the iOS App Store and 80% in Google Play.”

Source: App Annie

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Considering a lot of the apps on the Google Play store are free, it's really no surprise. Although they do contain ads. Nothing a little root + ad blocker can't fix.
    from my rooted Droid DNA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Painkiller006 For This Useful Post:

Alexthesniper21 (04-17-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Considering a lot of the apps on the Google Play store are free, it's really no surprise. Although they do contain ads. Nothing a little root + ad blocker can't fix.
    Also, don't forget that that Apple's app store has a far larger base of in-app purchase revenue, a sizable quantity of which is from people who were duped into buying over-priced virtual items in games. No doubt this happens on the Google side as well, but nowhere near to the same extent.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here we go again.
    Android is the best. We hate apple, its products and everything related to it.
    Can u android asslickers now leave this forum for apple fanboys? Or is it like a habit that u develop after becoming an android suck up, poking your noses in other people's/ forum's businesses?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Here we go again.
    Android is the best. We hate apple, its products and everything related to it.
    Can u android asslickers now leave this forum for apple fanboys? Or is it like a habit that u develop after becoming an android suck up, poking your noses in other people's/ forum's businesses?
    Are you referring to my post? I was only stating facts. I wasn't advocating one system over another in any way; I am actually one of those people who can recognize the merits of any system. But It seems people like yourself want to just ignore the reality of how in-app purchases are (mis)used, in any app store that supports it, and that it's Apple's that are presently abused the most by app developers. Attempting to dismiss the subject by using wild blanket statements isn't going to change that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes, i was referring to your comment.
    And about the apps which have in app purchases that you are talking about, atleast we have those in the app store.
    If the app is available on the google play as well, it has the same amount of in app purchases.
    If u dont want to get caught in the supposed 'scam' then dont download apps which have in app purchases.
    I totally agree that most of the in app purchases are mind numbingly expensive and are indeed an unfair way to make money but then again, its up to us to purchase them or not. There is a very simple way to block in app purchases.
    Besides, thats not even the point. I really doubt that most of apple's app store revenue comes from those in app purchases made unintentionally.
    Im not trying to put a wild blanket over anything. But u shouldnt try to manipulate the readers with random statistics (we all know how manipulative statistics can be) and attempt to steal the thunder from a company thats know for the hard work thats been put in to make it what it is. It had the first app store. And its still the most vibrant one. Comparing that to google play which mostly offers app store's 'hand-me-down' apps is irrelevant!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Yes, i was referring to your comment.
    And about the apps which have in app purchases that you are talking about, atleast we have those in the app store.
    If the app is available on the google play as well, it has the same amount of in app purchases.
    That is not necessarily true. An app that exists on multiple platforms is not guaranteed to be identical across all platform versions of it. They are each subject to the platform they are on, the rules and capabilities of the store they operate through. The fact that I was trying to get across was that it is a statistical fact that in-app purchases on Apple's platform is more abused then on others, one reason is because how Apple's store and in-app purchases system is setup. The fact that one can just avoid it by not using it is any obvious thing to say, as well as irrelevant to this discussion where I was making the comparison.