Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EA Announces June 11 Release Date for SimCity for Mac

Thanks

Default EA Announces June 11 Release Date for SimCity for Mac

EA recently announced that the latest version of its hit SimCity franchise would land on Apple’s Mac platform on June 11. The added bonus behind the release is that the people who already bought the game for Windows will get a Mac copy for free. The new SimCity will be available exclusively as a digital release on EA’s Origin service as well as other online retailers.

The Mac version’s entire software renderer was said to be rewritten for OpenGL in order to ensure that it will function well on Apple’s platform. Using EA’s Origin, the game’s multiplayer elements are also cross-platform, allowing Mac and PC players to compete against and collaborate with each other.

The new SimCity has already sold more than three million units since its launch on the PC. This was despite the fact that the game was marred by complications with the Digital Rights Management component, which requires persistent Internet connection in order for the game to function, even in single player mode. EA, at the time of the game’s launch, did not have the server capacity to handle the number of players logging on, resulting in many customers being unable to access the game shortly after its release. The company has upgraded its server infrastructure since then so those of you looking to purchase the game won’t have to deal with those issues.

Source: EA (blog) via CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,371 Posts

Only a couple decades late...

Do people even play SimCity anymore?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Yep I still do

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Never cared for the game myself.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

I will be. But not going to pay 60$ for it when PC people got deals all over the place. And after the deals ended EA finally said it would be cross-buy. I have been asking over and over and they always ignore that question and I asked other questions and they answered it. Well GameFly still has it on sale for 35$ so I bought it from them now and will sit on it or install it on bootcamp if I really want to.

Also you can buy normal version from gamefly for 35$ and then redeem code in Origin and upgrade to deluxe for 20$. So you get deluxe version for same price or cheaper than retail normal version.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post

Your concept of time is way out of whack...

Anywho I do not recommend anyone buying this. The Windows version is STILL pretty much a beta product. The Mac version is being ported by Maxis so could very well be behind in terms of current patches.

Really? you think it is an outdated game?
    This game has been anticipated for quite a while now and has been plagued with bad reviews because of the recent DRM problems they had

The DRM is the least of the many problems this game has. As someone that has dumped hundreds of hours on the Sim City series (mostly 3000 and 4/Rush Hour) this is without a doubt the worst game I've played in over a decade. There is absolutely NOTHING in it resembling a game. An animated screensaver is more interactive than this.

That's ignoring the horrible launch which will be remembered for a long time. Seriously, giving Maxis/EA any amount of money for this game is telling them you don't care how they treat their customers. Buy Bioshock Infinite or any other game or if you absolutely must have this game to be part of history, wait until it's $5-10 because it is not worth anything more.

Seriously, every single aspect of the game is broken in a fundamental level. No amount of patching will fix it. The ONLY positive things this game has is the UI and the art design. The cities do look gorgeous but there's literally no depth to the gameplay. iOS freemium city building games put more thought into their game than Sim City did.

I ended forcing a chargeback and got my Origin acconut banned. That's how bad it was.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deltabell View Post
    Really? you think it is an outdated game?
    This game has been anticipated for quite a while now and has been plagued with bad reviews because of the recent DRM problems they had
    I did t say it was a bad game. Just didn't know people even played Sims anymore! I figured that ship sailed a long time ago. LOL!

I did t say it was a bad game. Just didn't know people even played Sims anymore! I figured that ship sailed a long time ago. LOL!
    Sim City 4 is still pretty fun to play!

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Haha i only added the last part so people didn't think i was a fanboy or something by ignoring the awful way they have implemented the game.

Thats typical for Macs. They say Macs are better than PCs. Then answer me this. WHY is it Macs get PC software many years after its been and gone on PC? If it was so good why didn't it get that software first?
    The new SimCity came out last month on PC and its not even out on Mac yet. Everyone that paid for it has abused EA about it and stopped playing it as its been reported by many websites and TV shows that its the worst game ever and plagued with DRM problems so nobody wants to buy or play it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Sim City 4 is still pretty fun to play!
    Maybe I'll have to take another look at the newer versions. I assumed the premise was the same which is what I got bored of. I could be wrong, though!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    Thats typical for Macs. They say Macs are better than PCs. Then answer me this. WHY is it Macs get PC software many years after its been and gone on PC? If it was so good why didn't it get that software first?
    The new SimCity came out last month on PC and its not even out on Mac yet. Everyone that paid for it has abused EA about it and stopped playing it as its been reported by many websites and TV shows that its the worst game ever and plagued with DRM problems so nobody wants to buy or play it.
    Sheer numbers. PCs are more popular than macs do every game comes out for PC first.
    Why all this SimHate people? I've played every sim city since SimCity first came out. Played on a 386 running DOS. But we had to use the Turbo button to play it.... When SimCity 2000 came out, (still on Dos or the new "Windows" os) it was amazing! Than we upgraded the video card on our pentium(not 2,3,4, M, etc) to a 4MB card and it was amazinger! THEN we got our first soundcard... OMG THE TECHNOLOGY!!! The game had SOUND!!! Inconceivable!
    The horrible thing is, I payed $40 for every SimCity up to 4, which I payed $50 for. So I am definitely buying this one.

Gamefly now has it listed as 59$

waiting SimCity on Mac