+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly in Talks with Yahoo about Deeper Service Integration for iOS

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Reportedly in Talks with Yahoo about Deeper Service Integration for iOS

It was recently reported that Apple and Yahoo are in talks regarding how to better integrate the search company’s various services into the iOS platform. The improved integration would be on top of existing features such as sports scores and weather information. Although Apple already uses data from Yahoo Finance, weather and sports stats to power a handful of first-party apps, including Siri, sources are telling The Wall Street Journal that the two companies are looking to expand their partnership.

According to a person who is familiar with the discussions, data from Yahoo News and other Yahoo Web properties could be “preloaded” onto Apple’s iOS devices, with much of the focus being directed toward Siri functionality. As of right now, Yahoo’s presence on iOS is limited to the Stocks app, the Weather app, a search option in mobile Safari and sports as accessed through Siri.

It was pointed out by WSJ that no concrete deals have been made and the talks remain in their early stages. Although it’s just speculation, the Cupertino California company could potentially be looking to move further away from Google integration in iOS, replacing existing services with those from Yahoo instead. With iOS 6, Apple made it clear that they were looking to move away from Google for their first party apps as the company released their own Maps app and also removed the built-in YouTube app, both of which have been present in iOS since 2007.

We’ll have to wait to see what the talks lead to.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Was hoping they would ditch Yahoo, not integrate them further. The Yahoo weather forecasts have always been wildly inaccurate, at least here in Australia. Not that weather forecasts are ever that accurate LOL but Yahoos have been worse than most.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,860 Posts

What about the massive security concerns associated with them! Over here in New Zealand there's always Yahoo getting hacked or users email addresses spammed! Not sure about this Apple!
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (04-10-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Yahoo blows worse than a Mac computer. I mean seriously. Yahoo is the worst thing to come around since the android. What would people do when they are always wrong about things because of their "Yahoo Phones"?

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    Was hoping they would ditch Yahoo, not integrate them further. The Yahoo weather forecasts have always been wildly inaccurate, at least here in Australia. Not that weather forecasts are ever that accurate LOL but Yahoos have been worse than most.
    Same here! My phone today says the temp is 32 right now, yet my car is reading 37, 5 degree difference? Come on now

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Same here! My phone today says the temp is 32 right now, yet my car is reading 37, 5 degree difference? Come on now
    No offense, but your car sensor can be wrong if it has the possibility of getting direct sunlight or inside a dark surface.

5 degree difference is nothing, especially if the location they took the readings is miles away (which many times is, as observations are typically taken at airports and similar locations). Also, most cases the most often observations are made are every 30 minutes - hour. A lot can change in that span of time.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 04-10-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    That’s the same thing I was thinking. I was hoping they’d switch to the NWS for weather and msnbc for stocks. Yahoo is going in the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    5 degree difference is nothing
    5 degrees is a big enough difference for there to be ice on the roads or not.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 04-10-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    What about the massive security concerns associated with them! Over here in New Zealand there's always Yahoo getting hacked or users email addresses spammed! Not sure about this Apple!
    They're will be sharing their data not acquiring Apple's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    That’s the same thing I was thinking. I was hoping they’d switch to the NWS for weather and msnbc for stocks. Yahoo is going in the toilet.

5 degrees is a big enough difference for there to be ice on the roads or not.
    Maybe it would be more helpful if they showed you on a map where that temperature data was collected from.
    I guarantee you that you've got more than a 5 degree temperature swing in your home/apartment between different rooms.
    You're just being silly: If you want to know the temperature of where you're at, get a thermometer. If you want to know the average temperature in your area, ask Siri. If it's within 5 degrees of ice-on-the-roads, drive like there's going to be ice on the roads. Would you blame McDonald's for not labeling the coffee as 'HOT!'?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to quidam_brujah For This Useful Post:

GenesisDH (04-10-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    No offense, but your car sensor can be wrong if it has the possibility of getting direct sunlight or inside a dark surface.

5 degree difference is nothing, especially if the location they took the readings is miles away (which many times is, as observations are typically taken at airports and similar locations). Also, most cases the most often observations are made are every 30 minutes - hour. A lot can change in that span of time.
    It says it took it at the middle school located right next to my house, and I know my car sensor can be off too, but it's usually right on, or only 1 degree off. And I know 5 degrees isn't alot, but it's just that I live next to the monitoring station there connected too and it's still off, plus it never refreshes when I open notification center, I have to tap on the widget for it to update, which is annoying haha