+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iMessage the Focus of Latest Patent Suit

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's iMessage the Focus of Latest Patent Suit

Apple is getting sued. Again. Also, tomorrow is April 4th.

The latest lawsuit is being lobbed Apple’s way by Mobile Telecommunication Technologies, who claims Apple is infringing on messaging patents the company holds. According to Patently Apple the suit claims Apple’s iMessage, Airport Express, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch infringe on up to seven different patents.

The company, which runs communications service SkyTel, is basically trying to prohibit Apple from offering iMessage and any other messaging service. Apparently Apple’s products are in direct competition with SkyTel’s messaging and paging services. One of the patents published in 1999 covers the "method and apparatus for generating and communication messages between subscribers to an electronic messaging network." Based on that patent it seems Blackberry Messanger, email, and any other subscription based electronic messaging service is covered under the patent.

Perhaps they should have picked a smaller adversary than Apple to go after first and create some legal precedent?

Sources: Patently Apple [via CNET]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Swanson For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (04-03-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good luck! lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ohh so basically they can sue even google, yahoo, whatsapp samsung (for wechat).. Its hilarious how they've gotten EVERYTHING patented.
    Do they sell patents for humans breathing or crying? I should get one of those and become rich!

Thanks

This is SOOOO Stupid; LOL!!!! This is what MY tax Dollar's Pay FOR? Retarded Lawsuits. I mean; Maybe Al Gore should sue ALL Major Telecommunications Companies For using the internet, lol..it's just frivolous NONSENSE...

iPhone? More like MyPhone edoutmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, apparently Apple is patenting everything too regardless if they use it or not. So it's okay for Apple to have a patent on a square device with rounded corners?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edoutmax View Post
    Well, apparently Apple is patenting everything too regardless if they use it or not. So it's okay for Apple to have a patent on a square device with rounded corners?
    No, I don't think that is right either, but if they have had this patent since 1999 and have not defended it previously (when there are clearly systems that have violated it), then they will have hard time defending it now. It's one of the reasons there are so many patent lawsuits, if you don't defend it when it is violated, you loose the future rights to defend it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edoutmax View Post
    Dunno about you but my iphone and ipad are rectangular with rounded corners
    No Sig Spam..

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Ohh so basically they can sue even google, yahoo, whatsapp samsung (for wechat).. Its hilarious how they've gotten EVERYTHING patented.
    Do they sell patents for humans breathing or crying? I should get one of those and become rich!

not for breathing or crying but companies hold patents for the Human Gnome which I find very very very troubling.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    not for breathing or crying but companies hold patents for the Human Gnome which I find very very very troubling.
    Thats it. M getting the genetic material which produces public hair patented.
    So people, either go smooth down there or pay me royalty!