+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major Apple Shareholder Cuts Stake 10%

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
While all the major U.S. market indices continue to climb (in some cases to record level highs), shares of Apple aren't following the Dow, S&P, and NASDAQ in their 2013
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Major Apple Shareholder Cuts Stake 10%

While all the major U.S. market indices continue to climb (in some cases to record level highs), shares of Apple aren't following the Dow, S&P, and NASDAQ in their 2013 resurgence. In fact, APPL - down $8 again today at $434.91 - continues to lose faithful investors.

On Monday, we learned that Equity mutual fund Fidelity Contrafund slashed its bet on APPL to the tune of 10 percent. May not sound like much, but the $92 billion fund is the largest active Apple shareholder as of this writing.

Reuters confirmed this afternoon that the Contrafund held 10.43 million shares of Apple worth $4.6 billion at the end of February. That information came from Fidelity's latest monthly update for the fund. The fund owned 11.56 million Apple shares at the close of 2012.

In response to the cut, Google is now the Contrafund's largest holding as of the end of February, accounting for 5.8 percent of the fund's net assets. Apple is now no. 2 in their portfolio.

Source: Reuters

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i think hope may be lost if we get a 5S

Thanks
    They lost there best Inavator when Steve jobs past

Green Apple
    Thanks

Instead of Apple spending millions on new buildings and revamping those that don't really need it they could put all their efforts and money into a phone that give us all something that we want - an open phone without all the senseless restrictions.

Forget the making it the thinnest in the world and lets have a battery that lasts and one that we can get at.

Forget all the useless apps and games and concentrate on the rest of the half hearted software that we have had up to now.

Lets have a five row keyboard with numbers as standard instead of having to press a key to access them

Within the clock app (as it is now) it is possible to add as many clocks as wished. For heavens sake make the first clock in the list the current time. This would be far more useful for travellers instead of having delve into the settings each time.

I could go on and on.

However. lastly, I would suggest that Apple drops its obsession with jailbreaking and permits this to freely happen. It is clearly seen that in the grand scheme of things that only a tiny minority of people jailbreak and the majority of users don't even know that jailbreaking exists let alone what to do with it. Apple would loss very little and stand to gain a lot.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE WAKE UP APPLE!!!

What's Jailbreak? Mannyphantom46's Avatar
    Thanks

If the iPhone 5s is the same as i5 then some people won't buy it. People like me like jailbreak because I can add more stuff to it. A factory i5 is very boring. I also can do more with it. The hard part of all this is the cat and mouse
    Thing. We open it and they close it. We had 18 millions people doing the jailbreak on their iPhone. If they can't jailbreak they won't buy a iPhone. They would buy a blackberry or S4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clive.weller View Post
    Instead of Apple spending millions on new buildings and revamping those that don't really need it they could put all their efforts and money into a phone that give us all something that we want - an open phone without all the senseless restrictions.

Forget the making it the thinnest in the world and lets have a battery that lasts and one that we can get at.

Forget all the useless apps and games and concentrate on the rest of the half hearted software that we have had up to now.

Lets have a five row keyboard with numbers as standard instead of having to press a key to access them

Within the clock app (as it is now) it is possible to add as many clocks as wished. For heavens sake make the first clock in the list the current time. This would be far more useful for travellers instead of having delve into the settings each time.

I could go on and on.

However. lastly, I would suggest that Apple drops its obsession with jailbreaking and permits this to freely happen. It is clearly seen that in the grand scheme of things that only a tiny minority of people jailbreak and the majority of users don't even know that jailbreaking exists let alone what to do with it. Apple would loss very little and stand to gain a lot.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE WAKE UP APPLE!!!
    Or maybe you should say wake-up IOS users?? I can knock IOS for two reasons. 1) Don't knock it until you try it? I have had the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and iPad2 in addition to other Android and Windows mobile devices. 2) This is just my opinion.

I don't believe Apple will sacrifice the closed-source nature of their OS unless they really have to. That said, I prefer Android. Why? Maybe it has to do with being more of a technical person, but here are a few reasons:
    1. Easy to gain root access on most devices
    2. Application market accepts apps from developers though they may be competing with current functionality
    3. Community-supported custom ROM development
    4. I can drag and drop files between my device and computer without restrictions, and without iTunes
    5. I can expand storage via microSD card
    6. I can swap batteries if needed
    7. I can install a custom kernel that extends phone use time between charges
    8. I don't have to squint to see the screen
    9. Uncrippled bluetooth support (OBEX push supported, etc.)
    10. I use a ton of Google products and they are well integrated

Again it is just opinion, and again I have tried them all. (forgot to mention SymbianOS, WebOS, BlackberryOS, etc., above ) I really liked IOS, but ONLY after being able to launch Cydia I think that IOS is built for simplicity, and I am not a simple-minded person.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, that's what is going to happen... Apple has been boring for quite some time now. They will still sell phones, just not at the pace they're used to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OctopusPrime View Post
    Or maybe you should say wake-up IOS users?? I can knock IOS for two reasons. 1) Don't knock it until you try it? I have had the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, and iPad2 in addition to other Android and Windows mobile devices. 2) This is just my opinion.

I don't believe Apple will sacrifice the closed-source nature of their OS unless they really have to. That said, I prefer Android. Why? Maybe it has to do with being more of a technical person, but here are a few reasons:
    1. Easy to gain root access on most devices
    2. Application market accepts apps from developers though they may be competing with current functionality
    3. Community-supported custom ROM development
    4. I can drag and drop files between my device and computer without restrictions, and without iTunes
    5. I can expand storage via microSD card
    6. I can swap batteries if needed
    7. I can install a custom kernel that extends phone use time between charges
    8. I don't have to squint to see the screen
    9. Uncrippled bluetooth support (OBEX push supported, etc.)
    10. I use a ton of Google products and they are well integrated

Again it is just opinion, and again I have tried them all. (forgot to mention SymbianOS, WebOS, BlackberryOS, etc., above ) I really liked IOS, but ONLY after being able to launch Cydia I think that IOS is built for simplicity, and I am not a simple-minded person.
    That may be all well and good -- for you. But, Apple isn't designing and selling to your market. They are designing and selling to the market that bought 158+ million iOS devices in 2012. The 1.2 million or so devices that were jailbroke in 2012, that represents less than 1%. Where would would put your resources and base your strategy on? Besides, they currently have ZERO motivation to provide an open environment. They've sold over 500 million iOS devices using their current strategy, and still show positive year-over-year growth. Why would they abandon that strategy?

I'm not saying that I don't agree with some of your reasons -- heck, I still have the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 which had many of the same options. However, like most iOS users (99.24%), I don't have the need to tinker and I also have the need to use my iOS devices in my employer's environment. They take a dim view on anything that can be 'rooted' -- it's specifically against corporate policy. They also want a consistent cross-platform OS, and that's a lot more difficult if you open the door to Android for the very reasons you list above. In a small environment, lots of options can be a plus. In a larger environment, whether it's handsets, tablets or servers (when you are deploying thousands of VMs), you want cookie-cutter.

I guess all I'm really saying is yeah, I wish Apple would change a few things, but as along as you want to be maverick-y, you're going to be on the periphery and you get to enjoy all the pros and cons therein.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 04-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    Things like this don't surprise me... Apple has always been a preference choice. All of us bought our Apple product (most of us), for a reason... Either we were tired of dealing with a clunky OS and all the bugs and viruses that go with a PC or we wanted a phone that did more that did more than just the basic stuff and looked good in process and with almost everything Apple does works like it should. Whatever your reason for buying MacBook or an iPhone most of us have a personal one. Apple will always make lots of money even though the percentages in the market say otherwise. Apple will always make a breakthrough in technology which will cause others to follow suit and them they will fade out again for a while. Don't lose confidence in the product after reading this... After all it's just numbers at the end of the day... If you love your iPhone or iMac that's all matters ( steps down off soapbox)