Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google, LG Joining Apple and Samsung in Smart Watch War?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Google, LG Joining Apple and Samsung in Smart Watch War?

With speculation rampant that Apple will soon release an iOS-powered smart watch already labeled iWatch across the tech blogosphere, other mobile tech giants are said to be interested in doing the same.

As we learned earlier this week, Samsung plans to market what will likely be an Android-powered smart watch at some point soon. “We’ve been preparing the watch product for so long,” said Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung’s mobile business. “We are working very hard to get ready for it. We are preparing products for the future, and the watch is definitely one of them.”

On Friday, however, published reports indicated that Google is now working on a smart watch (The Financial Times) and so is electronics titan LG (The Korea Times). Apparently, both companies wish to avoid falling too far behind Apple and Samsung, should their respective smart watches reach the market first.

According to Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, wearable computing devices - like smart watches - may replace the iPhone and other industry leading smartphones within the next decade.

Sources: The Financial Times, The Korea Times

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Galaxy watch and iwatch judges get ready for more suits one is likely to complain of the other copying....

Quote Originally Posted by godfred212 View Post
    Galaxy watch and iwatch judges get ready for more suits one is likely to complain of the other copying....
    This is Maxwell Smart calling agent 86 do you copy.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Blogosphere ?

Gene Munster is the Michael Pachter of the tech industry.

Nobody is joining Apple in the "Smart Watch" war. Just like nobody is joining Apple in the HDTV war. Why? Because Apple is not involved in either. It is, and has only ever been, the stuff of pure fanboy wet dreams with a dash of speculation and only the tiniest hint of real analysis and journalism. How little credibility does a place need to report on rumour as if Apple has already had a keynote unveiling a product.

The one company who is leading the charge in both is Samsung. If I make a homemade sundial for my wrist I'm ahead of Apple in the Smart Watch business, and I'll have a better chance of working with the enigma that is daylights savings time. To be fair we honestly can't expect a fully functional timepiece from Apple until at least the iWatch 3S.

Thanks

Dumb idea...no one wears watches anymore...display not big enough....

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Blogosphere ?

Nobody is joining Apple in the "Smart Watch" war. Just like nobody is joining Apple in the HDTV war. Why? Because Apple is not involved in either. It is, and has only ever been, the stuff of pure fanboy wet dreams with a dash of speculation and only the tiniest hint of real analysis and journalism. How little credibility does a place need to report on rumour as if Apple has already had a keynote unveiling a product.

The one company who is leading the charge in both is Samsung. If I make a homemade sundial for my wrist I'm ahead of Apple in the Smart Watch business, and I'll have a better chance of working with the enigma that is daylights savings time. To be fair we honestly can't expect a fully functional timepiece from Apple until at least the iWatch 3S.
    I guess if we go by just what Apple says...then they don't make anything.

Remember all the hype around the rumored Apple tablet in late 2009 and early 2010? People were even quoting Steve Jobs and how he mocked tablets for being for toilet reading.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Blogosphere ?

You talk about fanboys as if you are not one yourself...Which you surely are. You just, shall I say...play for the other team.
    El Zurdo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iLoveWindows&iPhone For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (03-23-2013)

Here we go, everyone giving their 2 cents worth, which is worth zero or less than zero. Don't you google and Droid and Samsung fans have your own forum? Or is that not working or lame like the before mentioned copy cat companies.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgfusion For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (03-23-2013), vinaygoel2000 (03-23-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

lol watches

I dont care who makes it, I just want a watch with Bluetooth that announces my alerts.
    If it'll do that I'll buy it. As long as its not stupidly high priced so Apple is out.

Can't see a watch replacing my smartphone.

Default display not big enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Dumb idea...no one wears watches anymore...display not big enough....
    lolz. true. and thin enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    I thought he used his shoe phone? The iShoe!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    You talk about fanboys as if you are not one yourself...Which you surely are. You just, shall I say...play for the other team.
    I own an iPhone 5 (before it 3GS and Original iPhone), iPad 3 and a MacBook Pro, and an iPod Nano. The only thing I have from "the other team" is a TV (cos ya know Apple doesn't actually make those)
    I hope I didn't blow your mind by revealing that I own and love my Apple hardware but also can criticise Apple and this website. You can like Apple and not have your head all the way up Tim Cooks ***. No here is the real shocker....Samsung make great products...ZOMG!!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

“We’ve been preparing the watch product for so long,” said Lee Young Hee.......and when he says "for so long" he means as soon as he heard that Apple was working on one he ordered his company to start working on one.

It doesn't matter who comes out with the watch first, that's what people don't realize. Even if Samsung and Google release theirs first it doesn't mean they're going to be the top competitors. Apple will release their watch when they've got everything they want people to use it for perfected, and it'll still dominate the market! I think the iWatch is the next big thing so I hope there's some great competition from everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Can't see a watch replacing my smartphone.

It's not meant to replace your smartphone, it's meant to be used with it, an extension of it
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-23-2013 at 09:43 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (03-23-2013)

Thanks

I just think its silly....

Blogosphere ?

Well if apple isnt making an iwatch, then how will samsung even create a market for smart watch?
    Like for the smartphone, apple create the market. Samsung is incapable of creating a new device mainly because no one cares about what it does until it copies an apple product.
    It'll bode well for samsung if apple launches an iwatch and lets samsung rip it off like it does.

And m sure samsung's watch will have double the cores of any watch in the industry.. Or maybe even computers.. And it'll be made of the same $2 a kg plastic that goes into creating its best phones.
    And m also sure that samsung's watches will grow to 5' within one year of launch.. And like phablets, a category created and ruled by the company, itll create the lapatch... (Laptop? Watch?)

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    I dont care who makes it, I just want a watch with Bluetooth that announces my alerts.
    If it'll do that I'll buy it. As long as its not stupidly high priced so Apple is out.
    Well then there are countless products just like the one that you mentioned. They connect to your phone via bluetooth, and notify you about calls and texts and reminders and whatnots..

I own an iPhone 5 (before it 3GS and Original iPhone), iPad 3 and a MacBook Pro, and an iPod Nano. The only thing I have from "the other team" is a TV (cos ya know Apple doesn't actually make those)
    I hope I didn't blow your mind by revealing that I own and love my Apple hardware but also can criticise Apple and this website. You can like Apple and not have your head all the way up Tim Cooks ***. No here is the real shocker....Samsung make great products...ZOMG!!!
    Firstly, going by your original comment, you arent criticizing apple. You are downright against it.
    Atleast the other guy likes what he owns and is passionate about it. Not confused like you, owning all the mobile devices from one company, then rooting for the other one. You have your head up tim cooks butt way more than most of us. And if u dont like it up there, maybe its time to lube it up for luang hun chin's (or whatever) hole.
    Last edited by Mohit555; 03-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    Maxwell Smart was agent 86 lol

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    “We’ve been preparing the watch product for so long,” said Lee Young Hee.......[COLOR="#0000CD"]and when he says "for so long" he means as soon as he heard that Apple was working on one he ordered his company to start working on one.
    You couldn't be more out of touch.... samsung has already produced and sold two previous iterations of smart watches and has been doing so since 1999. Look up the SPH-WP10 and the S9110 Samsung isn't just copying apple on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    Maxwell Smart was agent 86 lol
    how do you not understand that that was whole point of the joke?