+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nest Founder Doesn't Expect Customers to Purchase New Model Every Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Nest Founder Doesn't Expect Customers to Purchase New Model Every Year

Nest founder Matt Rogers claims that his company will continue to release new hardware parts to its iOS-compatible learning thermostat, but doesn't expect customers to purchase new models every year because it is meant to last and is extremely durable. The remark made by Rogers’ was said during the middle of “Fireside Chat” on Saturday at Engadget’s Expand conference. He also stated that the Nest is nothing like any other consumer electronic out there. According to Rogers:

We don't expect people to buy a new Nest every year. It's not like a smartphone. We don't expect our users to do that. These things should stay for five or ten years, so we're relying a lot on software updates, going forward. We're going to have hardware updates, but a lot of our changes are going to come through software.
    Rogers’ explains that the Nest is meant to be meld into an owner’s overall exquisite home. “There are reasons we didn't give this a sort of white plastic enclosure," Rogers said, explaining the aluminum body of the Nest, "we designed it to be a chameleon, where it adjusts to your home and reflects the light around your home."

Apple’s online store sold Nest’s thermostat last year and is available to purchase in the retail stores. It was said by Rogers’ that the reason for the company’s success was due to consumers being able to hold the device in their hands and test it.

We're pretty disruptive in this space. It's now a consumer decision, so the customer gets to check out the device in their hands.
    Rogers’ receives feedback regarding the Nest via daily emails and tweets about how consumers have saved a ton of money by using the device and says all the feedback is quite encouraging. He also puts the amount of money the company saved at the end of the talk. "Since we launched, we've saved 600,000kWh," he explained. "That's enough to fly a 747 to the moon and back six times. Of course, you can't take a 747 to the moon, but, say, you could power a city for some time on the power we've saved."

As of right now, the Nest will be releasing further hardware iterations going forward and wants to partner with other power companies and home designers so that the learning thermostat can be promoted into more homes. Have any of you purchased one? If so, share your thoughts and experience below!

Source: AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

I have two Nests and I love them. never imagined that a thermostat could be sexy/cool/fun.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

I'm loving mine and so is my wallet .

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I pre-ordered the original and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I would suggest the Nest to anyone looking to save money and want to enjoy doing it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (03-17-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i wish there was a Jail Break tweak were i could change the temp using siri

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys who have one: I already have an automatic offset thermostat, will this provide any more benefit?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I love my NEST. Simple to use, so functional and saves us money. I had a digital touch screen honeywell and it sucked. It wasn't as user friendly to use as the NEST.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd get one if there was ever a time my house was consistently empty. With kids at home I can't vary the temp more than +\- 1°. Hence the reason I love my wifi 3m50 thermostat

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

They need to add Remote sensor capabilities.

http://nestthermostat.forumotion.com...ireless-sensor

My post is:
    by JazJon on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:49 pm
    +1
    Our third floor townhome nest is in the hall between the two bedrooms. Bedroom 1 likes it warm, Bedroom two likes it cold and keeps its room vents manually closed. If the bedroom doors stay closed when we sleep how will nest know when bedroom 1 reaches the Desired heat temp? A remote sensor would solve this problem. It's a three story townhome with one nest per floor. The vents of floors 1 & 2 are Automatically closed if 1 & 2 two nests are turned off. But again nest 3 is at the top of the third floor stairs between the bedrooms. (And only one bedroom wants heat at night)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JazJon For This Useful Post:

novadam (03-18-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Guys who have one: I already have an automatic offset thermostat, will this provide any more benefit?
    buggsy, i also had one in my house. my first month's bill after closing was around $230 (electricity), the second month bill after installing the nest was almost half that (mind you it was also hotter outside). it has paid for itself 3-4 times over in less than a year.

this isn't exactly an "each his own" type of purchase in my opinion. The thing is amazing, it automatically cuts off the a/c or heater if it doesn't sense anyone in the house, that alone has come in handy. then, when the wife and i leave town for a while, we set it to away (you can establish min and max temps while away) and when we are an hour or so away from home on our return trip, open the app and set the nest so it is nice and cool/warm upon our return.

if you are constantly setting the thermostat to the same temp at the same time on certain days, it will "learn" this and set the temp itself after a few days of the same action.

it also knows how long it will take the home/zone to reach the set temperature and will display it as "66, in 10 minutes".

the best purchase i've made for the house to date.
    2012 B8 Audi //S4
    -Cliff
    [CENTER]DISCLAIMER: ASSUME THE ABOVE WAS POSTED AS A SMART A55 COMMENT UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PSYC0TIC ONE For This Useful Post:

novadam (03-18-2013)

Thanks

^ this

Green Apple
    Thanks

I still don't see the benefits of getting one, since i already have a programmable thermostat. And to be honest, we are always here, so there's no opportunity to reap the benefits of the automatic temperature adjustment. I work from home, and my wife homeschools our kids. The only thing we have it set to do is drop the temps during the winter, or allow the temps to rise during the summer at nighttime. Can it switch from heat to air automatically? Like on those spring days that start out at 40 degrees, but wind up at 80 in the late afternoon? That's the one thing i'd like for my honeywell to be able to do. So - would i like to have a Nest? Absolutely. Can I justify a Nest? I don't think so.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeepshots View Post
    Can it switch from heat to air automatically? Like on those spring days that start out at 40 degrees, but wind up at 80 in the late afternoon?
    yes.

and one of the things it helped me with was identifying when I was using the majority of my energy -- using the app, I could see that my heat was working hard while we were sleeping, which is stupid. so I cut it way back during the night. saving money FTW.