+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Plans to Go Green with Upcoming "Spaceship" Campus

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Plans to Go Green with Upcoming "Spaceship" Campus

Apple’s forthcoming “spaceship” campus is not only elegantly designed but it’s also designed to be more environmentally friendly than its predecessor, continuing a trend that has seen tech companies across Silicon Valley go green. According to Bloomberg, the eco-conscious trend that is seemingly sweeping the tech sector arguably began with Apple’s Campus 2 plans. Several of the largest names in technology are planning builds that will be less along the lines of office parks and more like nature preserves.

Apple CEO Tim Cook made sure to point out the company’s new site will result in a good deal of land reclamation. The company is said to be bulldozing all of the buildings currently occupying the grounds. The site is said to be 80% covered in asphalt and concrete and when the project is done, the number is said to be down to 20%.

The current renditions of the planned facilities show its circular frame topped with solar panels and the design is said to be energy self-sufficient. Google, Facebook, and Samsung have also announced new campuses, all of which seem to follow Apple’s eco-conscious ideal.

The trend of going cheap is definitely not cheap. Apple’s plan involves planting 6,000 trees on its 176-acre property, including a 108-tree forested courtyard. It should be noted that relocating full-grown specimens can run from $60,000 to $100,000 per tree alone. Still, it is an interesting idea that the Cupertino California company is working on bringing to fruition.

Source: Bloomberg via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

I sure hope they plant new trees to replace the ones they are transplanting.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    going green does not mean that their "following Apple’s eco-conscious ideal." going green is not something that apple started, i don't think their going green because Apple is.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Let's see some of that planning and attention go into new ideas and innovation for apple products-hardware and software.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

It's more of a Stargate than a spaceship

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, I wonder if you are late for a meeting exactly opposite, are you going to save time, energy and shoe leather by cutting across the middle or follow the building around incurring an extra 57% walk?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Hi, I wonder if you are late for a meeting exactly opposite, are you going to save time, energy and shoe leather by cutting across the middle or follow the building around incurring an extra 57% walk?
    Options:
    1) walk it...HEY, EXCERCISE...we have a winner (I like your applied math)
    2) electronic, on-screen meetings via the power from solar panels...we have a winner

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Props for correctly calculating that the walk around would increase the length of your trip by exactly 57%!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaygray For This Useful Post:

DC_Dave (03-16-2013)