+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Exploring Second-Hand iTunes Sales

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The digital equivalent of a garage sale where a box of old records is up for grabs, Apple is envisioning an opportunity for second-hand iTunes sales. According to the content
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Exploring Second-Hand iTunes Sales

The digital equivalent of a garage sale where a box of old records is up for grabs, Apple is envisioning an opportunity for second-hand iTunes sales.

According to the content of a recent patent filing, the company has designs on a system for buying and selling digital movies, music, books and software.

The system would prevent the original owner from accessing the content after selling it, and could allow the original creator or publisher to receive a cut of the resale price.
    So, does this kind of thing bring up concerns with some in the music and entertainment industries? Chances are, for Apple to proceed with this type of digital commerce plan, the copyright holders of the underlying content will have to play along.

As of this writing, it isn't clear if such an arrangement is even possible given how notoriously difficult Apple can be at the negotiating table with matters such as these. Nonetheless, Apple isn't alone in its aims. Earlier this year, Amazon secured a patent of its own for a similar “electronic marketplace.”

Source: Time

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh come on, this kind if thing can be circumvented in seconds.

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

So what is gonna stop me from buying an album, converting to MP3 (as I do anyway) & then selling the album?
    Assuming Apple doesn't start DRMing the M4A files of course.

iPhone? More like MyPhone VerizonIphone4_help's Avatar
    Thanks

soooo i buy my song at let's say a what 1.29 USD? then make an .mp3 of it and resell it back for probably what .30 USD? at least then it'd be back at the old .99 USD price ha ha

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they do this! I have a lot of apps that I don't want anymore.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I always convert to non-DRMmed format right after I buy anything. SoundTaxi does it well, as long as you have the original DRM. The thing that kicks my arse are the DRM on the "Digital Version" of movies I buy. I flatly refuse to buy any content that I cannot back up and keep safe, especially DVDs, CDs and BluRay.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple patented the idea and prevented all other second hand sales on the internet whatever the source or item!!!