Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Schiller Gently Jabs at Android Security in Rare Twitter Comment

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple's Schiller Gently Jabs at Android Security in Rare Twitter Comment

Tweets from Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller are so rare that one like this is definitely worth reporting.

On Thursday, the findings of F-Secure‘s latest Mobile Threat Report were reported. As it turns out, Android malware continued to gain in its share, responsible for 79 percent of all threats for 2012, up from 66 percent in 2011. Apple's portion of the problem? Just 0.7%.

This morning, in what was his first tweet of 2013, Phil Schiller tweeted the link to F-score's report, encouraging followers to "be safe out there." His tweet subsequently generated a ton of social media activity and retweets for the report, which does not paint a pretty picture for Android.

"Brutal!" exclaimed one of Schiller's followers in response to his tweet, while a majority expressed that the comment is hilarious for how much it says with so few words.

To read the full F-Secure report as tweeted by the Apple executive, click here.

Source: F-Secure

Such an easy fix. Android (And iOS) should add default firewalls to the respective operating systems. I have both Android and iOS devices and you better believe firewall software is running on them. On Android its the Hackers and on iOS it is the "legit" apps making off with your contacts, sms, email, device Identifier, location, music collection. And quite frankly the iOS firewall is much busier than the one on the android device. So Phil, don't crow so much. The F-Secure report doesn't take into account "legit" apps stealing someone's information. Sayin...
    Last edited by Lohand; 03-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lohand For This Useful Post:

Channan (03-07-2013), TooSlo (03-07-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    On Android its the Hackers and on iOS it is the "legit" apps making off with your contacts, sms, email, device Identifier, location, music collection.
    Keep making excuses... it's unavoidable for an open platform to not get malware.

Every time an app tried to "make off with" my contacts or location I get a notification and have the option to deny it access.
    Sms? Email? music collection? Sorry first time I heard that is even possible... please send me some sources for the bold claims. Even device identifiers are no longer allowed by the app store, everything goes to a soft ID that can be blocked and limit your tracking.
    Last edited by Norb; 03-07-2013 at 03:32 PM.

I'll agree with Norb, open platforms are more prone. I will also add that no OS is secure, & everyone should use caution. I have a iMac & a Windows PC, no anti-virus on either and never had a virus/malware. Be smart how you use your devices, & you'll be safe.

The difference between iOS & Android. Security issue on iOS is pushed out in a rather timely manner (usually). With Android it's the OEM's & carriers that delay or never issue the update. Personally I think security issues should be pushed straight to the end user.
    Carriers & OEM's that do not issue security updates should be heavily fined. Mobile devices should receive all security updates for at least 2 years.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I will also add that no OS is secure, & everyone should use caution. I have a iMac & a Windows PC, no anti-virus on either and never had a virus/malware. Be smart how you use your devices, & you'll be safe.
    Pretty much sum's everything i was gonna say. If you get a virus/malware it tends to be the users fault

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Pretty much sum's everything i was gonna say. If you get a virus/malware it tends to be the users fault
    Tell my parents that, I don't like fixing their stuff...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    Such an easy fix. Android (And iOS) should add default firewalls to the respective operating systems. I have both Android and iOS devices and you better believe firewall software is running on them. On Android its the Hackers and on iOS it is the "legit" apps making off with your contacts, sms, email, device Identifier, location, music collection. And quite frankly the iOS firewall is much busier than the one on the android device. So Phil, don't crow so much. The F-Secure report doesn't take into account "legit" apps stealing someone's information. Sayin...
    well said., very well said.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

alot of times safe does not equal free...