+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Swatch Boss Not Bullish on Apple's 'iWatch'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
With a growing number of industry watchers watching out for Apple's rumored iWatch, there is rampant speculation about the device's potential market impact. Will consumers flock to a "smart watch"
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Swatch Boss Not Bullish on Apple's 'iWatch'

With a growing number of industry watchers watching out for Apple's rumored iWatch, there is rampant speculation about the device's potential market impact.

Will consumers flock to a "smart watch" with the same gusto observed upon the release of Apple's iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad? One credible name in the field of wristwatches doesn't expect any seismic shifts in his industry.

Swatch Group CEO Nick Hayek revealed his thoughts on the matter at a company press conference in Grenchen, Switzerland today. The gist of his remarks: don't expect the iWatch to lead the next smart device phenomenon.

"Personally, I don't believe it's the next revolution," the chief executive officer of the prominent global watchmaker said. "Replacing an iPhone with an interactive terminal on your wrist is difficult. You can't have an immense display."

Since the start of 2013, we've heard persistent rumors that Apple has dedicated a team of 100 product designers and engineers on a project to designed and prepare the iWatch for market introduction possibly before the end of the year.

Source: Bloomberg

Green Apple
    Thanks

The Iwatch will prove to be a complete failure for Apple. Wait and see!

Green Apple
    Thanks

The LED/LCD fashion in watches dwindled 20 (or more) years ago and we have all returned to analogue.
    If you have a mobile or iPod or something similar that is carried around all the time, then I see no point in repetition.
    There are a dozen other reasons why this watch is already doomed but I see no point on labouring the point any further.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iwatching
    Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
    The Iwatch will prove to be a complete failure for Apple. Wait and see!
    I so agree with you. Its 'that' time for apple again.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

The mobile phone boom has reduced the number of people who wear watches, because every phone now comes with a built in clock and one that is very accurate. There are already companies out there that are doing "smart watches", but the best concept so far is this company https://www.slyde.ch/en/, they have a digital display that is meant to simulate mechanical watches. Very nice, but also very expensive.

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe iWatch is the name of the rumored Apple TV that was supposed to be released last year?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    Has anyone stopped to think that maybe iWatch is the name of the rumored Apple TV that was supposed to be released last year?
    Haha that would be hilarious.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I want a watch from Rolex, Omega, Bvlgari etc

I might want a digital watch if I am a kid, but I'm not so no way I am spending lots of money for something like this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it could be a great product.

Your phone is in your pocket and you receive an email. You pull the phone out of your pocket, check the notification and discover it is just a spam email.

Wouldn't it be easier to just check the notification on your watch?

They would just need to revolutionise how it charges. I don't want to be charging my watch every night.

Thanks

HAHAHA, Swatch, used to be so big/in style and where are you now? Nowhere. Maybe because you think of stupid things such as that people would REPLACE their phone with the watch rather than augment it. You....and the other moron doubters here, will eat your feet soon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This will not fail.....not because it is a great product but because Apple have built up a following of moronic imbeciles that will simply purchase anything with the Apple logo on it regardless if they need it or not or even if there is better for cheaper out there.

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post

Your phone is in your pocket and you receive an email. You pull the phone out of your pocket, check the notification and discover it is just a spam email.

They would just need to revolutionise how it charges. I don't want to be charging my watch every night.
    Precisely I want something stylish and classy on my wrist not something from the 80's era....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I want a watch from Rolex, Omega, Bvlgari etc

I might want a digital watch if I am a kid, but I'm not so no way I am spending lots of money for something like this.
    I agree. I want a nice analog self winder with a chronograph.
    But, apple doesn't necessarily design products for us older people, kids go nuts over them!

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tekwiz View Post
    HAHAHA, Swatch, used to be so big/in style and where are you now? Nowhere. Maybe because you think of stupid things such as that people would REPLACE their phone with the watch rather than augment it. You....and the other moron doubters here, will eat your feet soon.
    The Swatch Group is the largest watch maker in the world and they own some of the oldest and most prestigious mechanical watch brands available: Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Harry Winston, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Calvin Klein Watches + Jewelry, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Swatch, Flik Flak, Endura and Tourbillon.

While the Swatch watch isn't as trendy as it used to be, the Swatch Group is the most powerful single entity currently in the Swiss watch market.

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post

Pebble (http://getpebble.com/) and other recent products do exactly what you want today.
    Last edited by RandyTG; 03-06-2013 at 03:32 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

T

Pebble (http://getpebble.com/) and other recent products do exactly what you want today.
    So it does, very nice!

Thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have the new Pebble watch and its awesome being able to read texts and control your music and see whos calling you on your wrist. I'm really glad I got one. I assume the iwatch will be like that except much cooler looking and with more features. I will probably get one if its in the sub 200 dollar range.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple just needs to price it high enough. Like 299 for entry and 399, 499 for bells and whistles. Those things will fly off the shelves.

*T*
    Thanks

The Swatch Group is the largest watch maker in the world and they own some of the oldest and most prestigious mechanical watch brands available: Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Harry Winston, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Calvin Klein Watches + Jewelry, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Swatch, Flik Flak, Endura and Tourbillon.

While the Swatch watch isn't as trendy as it used to be, the Swatch Group is the most powerful single entity currently in the Swiss watch market.

I never knew Swatch owned Omega! That's very interesting, thank you for posting that.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't know why people actually think there will be an iwatch. That's not apple AT ALL. This rumor has gained so much unnecessary traction. If anything it's just going to be a more feature packed iPod nano watch case..

Also if this was to be made it wouldn't be made to replace an iPhone.. Smh

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't wait for the iWatch jailbreak to be released!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The iWatch doesn't replace it. It taps into it. That's what I've always said was so misguided thous Android watches. They shouldn't be trying to replace the powerful device in your pocket with one that's even more size/space/storage limited: they should be complementing it.
    Last edited by CZroe; 03-10-2013 at 08:47 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back2thebeatof84's Avatar
    Thanks

I would award you 100,000 Internetz if that happened.