Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Talks Android at Apple Shareholder Meeting

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Tim Cook Talks Android at Apple Shareholder Meeting

Today at Apple's annual shareholder meeting, the topic of Android came up. And CEO Tim Cook wasn't unwilling to talk out its little green robot rival.

Cook stated in no uncertain terms that Apple is watching Android and staying on top of what the competition is doing. "We don't have our heads stuck in the sand," Cook explained.

Cook admitted there are a lot of Android devices out there, but also pointed out that market share is more important for attracting a good content ecosystem, something Apple is already good at.
    Cook went on to suggest that Apple doesn't seem to worry about market share in the same way analysts and journalists do.

"It is clear that Android is on a lot of phones," Cook said, adding that "it is probably true that iOS is on a lot more tablets." But, he concluded, "success is not making the most... there's a button or two we could press to make the most... That would not be good for Apple."

Unfortunately, Cook didn't dwell on what "buttons" Apple may push to create new or refreshed products in the coming months. Instead, Cook opted to focus on the fact that Apple is "not constraining our investment in R&D by a desire to grow a cash pile."

Sources: BI, Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

"success is not making the most"
    Sources: BI, Fortune
    Thank you

Banned
    Thanks

Google and its partners are not trying to make "more" just for the sake of making more--they're making devices for everyone, devices that people want. you want a 4" bare bones phone for your kids--no problem, Android has you covered. want a devices that's bigger than most phones yet smaller than a tablet, check. how about a device that has HDMI ports, expandable memory, or full sized USB ports--got those too.

Apple doesnt have to and should not adapt the business models of other companies., they do what works for them HOWEVER, I wish Tim could stop by sites like this one and that hard core cult of mac site and see the comments of apple fans wanting many things from their next (or the one after that) iPhones or "Im switching to Android" statements.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't mind an iPhone with a bigger screen. The iPhone 5 screen is tall enough, but just not wide enough. If you have the keyboard activated in landscape mode then it leaves very little room for extra screen real estate.

Those buttons he's talking about is all the reasons why we jailbreak. That would be the smart thing to do.
    If they looked into jailbreaking and the reasons why we jailbreak and added those features into IOS and make no need to jailbreak they would dominate the smart phone market but they don't want to make the people happy. If they arn't doing it for money then why are the holding back and fighting so hard against jailbreaking???

In the war against Apple and Android they are losing bigtime and stopping the war against jailbreaking is one step they can stop to get a little chunk of those users back.

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    I hate to say it, but I wouldn't mind an iPhone with a bigger screen. The iPhone 5 screen is tall enough, but just not wide enough. If you have the keyboard activated in landscape mode then it leaves very little room for extra screen real estate.
    If they did widen it by a little. It wouldn't be that big of a difference in landscape. It would be noticeble on the portrait side I think

Default More sreen real estate please.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    Blackberry has long since established an acceptable form factor for the smart-phone; Iíve never read a comment where some one was complaining about the width of a Blackberry, that standard was accepted by every one, from large men with large hand, to women and children with small hands. Apple/Johnny Ives seems to have this obsession with miniaturizing every thing, and I suppose smaller and lighter things do have a place in todayís gadget world, but there is that proverbial line in the sand where small is not practical any more. Iím sure Apple could make a phone the size of a Nano if they wanted to, but I suspect it might not do very well, for that same reason and especially in a time when every one is streaming movies to their smart phones, along with all the other things we do with our smart devices, screen real-estate is a premium. I like the length of the iPhone 5 but I think it could be a little wider, also, because the phone is taller, it tends to give the appearance that it is narrower than the iPhone 4.