+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Solar Watch Patent May Foreshadow the iWatch

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple's Solar Watch Patent May Foreshadow the iWatch

A new patent application from Apple may provide our best insight yet into the so-called iWatch and its design.

Filed with the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office, Apple's vision clearly suggests the abandonment of the traditional watch style.

“A wearable accessory device is disclosed,” reads the filing's abstract summary. “The wearable accessory device includes a flexible display coupled to a bi-stable spring. Coupling the display to the bi-stable spring allows the accessory device to be easily worn in a number of convenient locations.”

Resembling a bracelet more than a watch, the filing appears to reveal information about the iWatch's primary components. For example, the bracelet has two distinct parts - a touch sensitive flexible display and a solar power collector.

A battery can be incorporated within the body of the accessory, and the operating time of a built in battery can be augmented by the addition of an auxiliary power supply such as a solar panel array to the accessory.
    Morgan Stanley estimates that Apple's iWatch could add billions to the company's annual revenue.

Source: Forbes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

shigh (02-22-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet! Apple is headed in the right direction with the, "iWatch." This will open up another department for them to make a lot of sheckles!

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

More like a nano, tied to a solo panal strip? CRAPPLE u the smartest of them all... NOT EVEN...

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    More like a nano, tied to a solo panal strip? CRAPPLE u the smartest of them all... NOT EVEN...
    I'm right there with you. What a waste of their development skills that they should be using to make an iPhone that is actually good and not just another "reskin".

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    The thing is, I've been saying that the older version of the iPod nano should be made into an iPhone accessory all along, especially since iPhone users have no reason to buy an iPod touch. It just makes sense: Give it functions/features that will sell it to an iPhone owner too.

I wanted it to be like the iPod nano version of the Sony Ericsson LiveView, Sony SmartWatch, etc, but with a click-navable display that can be used with gloves (navigates like an Apple remote/clickwheel). An iOS-like interface with Caller ID, music controls, call rejection, vibration on call/notification/disconnect (proximity/lost phone warning), etc would have been very easy to add with a low-power BT radio. Because it has internal storage, it could also augment the phone's storage by offloading much of the music library, giving iPhone owners even more reason to buy an iPod (iPod touch has typically been offered with more storage than the same-gen iPhone).

The bracelet thing probably won't have any room for media storage, but I do like the concept as a big display. The problem is that it will be way too recognizable as "the same thing everyone else has" instead of a personal accessory you chose to fit your tastes like a wristwatch. Personalizing the display is not the same as having a watch that fits your style. It's bad enough that everyone carries around the same phone, but at least it stays in your pocket most of the time and you can pick your headset/skin/case if you'd like. Heck, I'm not even a fashion/personalization kind of guy, but I absolutely love that my Fossil-designed Sony Ericsson MBW-150 Music Edition looks exactly like a normal watch and no one recognized it as an ubiquitous gizmo. That's why I didn't jump on board for the Pebble yet. Even though the display portion faded on my MBW-150, I'm much more inclined to continue using it without Caller ID or to buy another MBW-series watch (if MBW-100 or MBW200 don't fade).

That Motorola MotActv thing was misguided because it tried to cram the computing device into your wrist, which takes BIG compromises in storage, battery life, and performance and is redundant when you already have all that in your pocket. Good luck keeping both things charged and getting them to play nice together (yet another device to fragment your Angry Birds progress/records on ). Remote display on a simpler device makes a lot more sense for having a full-fledged smart device on your wrist.

LinkBacks (?)