+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Woz Worries That Apple Won't Be Cool Anymore

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,719
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

    Default Woz Worries That Apple Won't Be Cool Anymore


    Does Apple run the risk of not being "cool" with consumers anymore? That's a concern recently expressed by Steve Wozniak, a man who co-founded the company with Steve Jobs in 1976.

    Speaking with Bloomberg this week, Wozniak suggests that it's been too long since Apple released a product that raised the bar for the industry at large. “Apple is really good at setting a standard with a new device," Woz admitted. "Apple still has its halo in that regard.”

    But that may change unless Apple gets back to innovating in a big way.

    Following Jobs’s death in 2011, Apple has delivered upgrades and variations of devices including its iPad and iPhone, while coming under increasing pressure from rivals including Samsung Electronics Co. As shares have slumped 34 percent since a September peak, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook faces calls for revolutionary new machines that will prop up profitability.
    “We used to have these ads, I’m a Mac and I’m a PC, and the Mac was always the cool guy,” Wozniak says. “And ouch, it’s painful, because we kind of are losing that.”

    Woz, of course, hasn't lost hope or faith in the company he helped launch. In fact, talk of the so-called “iWatch” has rekindled his imagination and optimism for the innovation Apple may have in store.

    Wozniak is elated to hear that Apple has assigned dozens of its engineers build the ultimate smartwatch. “Apple can keep engineers working so intently toward the right product, you don’t have to rush something out ahead of time,” he said.

    Source: Bloomberg

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    mustard05 (02-21-2013)

  3. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts

    I don't know. Macs are still considered to be "cooler" than PCs, and Android is really only more popular than iOS to people who really -want- to be hackers and devs, but aren't... which isn't most of us. The only thing at risk, I think, for not being as "cool" anymore is the iPhone. The iPod touch, the iPad mini, etc. are still pretty "cool." But who knows? This may snowball. First the iPhone, then the rest.

  4. #3
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,451
    Thanks
    185
    Thanked 480 Times in 389 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    I don't know. Macs are still considered to be "cooler" than PCs, and Android is really only more popular than iOS to people who really -want- to be hackers and devs, but aren't... which isn't most of us. The only thing at risk, I think, for not being as "cool" anymore is the iPhone. The iPod touch, the iPad mini, etc. are still pretty "cool." But who knows? This may snowball. First the iPhone, then the rest.
    I think iPhones are a lot cooler than iPod touches. I'd rather be seen with my mid-range Android phone than my iPod.

  5. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Woz wants a job?

  6. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts

    I think apple needs to think about something useful. Like catching up in the smartphone market and then passing by. Like they used to. And not waste times on stupid things like the "iWatch" and the "iTV". Seriously people. Stop making them do stupid things. Think before you speak morons. (Not directed towards people who agree with me)

  7. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,597
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 188 Times in 135 Posts

    AppleTV with applications/games and Apple HDTV would be head turners to say the least. Just a waiting game. At the same time that Apple has not had anything revolutionary in a few years, no other electronics company has either..just saying.

  8. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I think apple needs to think about something useful. Like catching up in the smartphone market and then passing by. Like they used to. And not waste times on stupid things like the "iWatch" and the "iTV". Seriously people. Stop making them do stupid things. Think before you speak morons. (Not directed towards people who agree with me)
    Ummm I don't know if Innovation = (Catching up + Passing by). See before iPhone, Apple didn't had a Phone product. So to innovate, they NEED to come out with a product that already exists in the market but their product would perform leaps and bounds ahead of the existing product. You'd know what I'm saying if u have watched the first keynote for iPhone in 2007. Phone existed, even smartphones existed, but iPhone was just way beyond the Smartphone of 2007.

    Similarly they need to come out with a watch (I don't know about a tv, they already have Apple TV which they can include AppStore and call it the day) and do all kinds of things. No plastic bullsh1t and no colors. Just a metallic watch in gold or brushed steel finish (leather straps optional sold separately), and would be a mini iPhone connected to your idevice. Show you time, weather, calendar, reminders, sender and subject of emails, etc all via push notification and vibration alert (can be disabled). Apps for watch has endless possibilities as well.

    Would be nice.

  9. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    412
    Thanked 138 Times in 101 Posts

    He bashes apple every chance he gets lol

  10. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    459
    Thanked 86 Times in 62 Posts

    Google Goggles and its self-driving car are very innovative though perhaps not cool. Google seems way ahead of the industry in innovation but does that generate profit?

  11. #10
    What's Jailbreak? ttthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    this guys picture is hideous. please stop showing it. or if there is a way I can filter pedobear out please advise.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ttthomas For This Useful Post:

    buggsy2 (02-20-2013)

  13. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    "Anywhere But Home"...
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Ummm I don't know if Innovation = (Catching up + Passing by). See before iPhone, Apple didn't had a Phone product. So to innovate, they NEED to come out with a product that already exists in the market but their product would perform leaps and bounds ahead of the existing product. You'd know what I'm saying if u have watched the first keynote for iPhone in 2007. Phone existed, even smartphones existed, but iPhone was just way beyond the Smartphone of 2007.

    Similarly they need to come out with a watch (I don't know about a tv, they already have Apple TV which they can include AppStore and call it the day) and do all kinds of things. No plastic bullsh1t and no colors. Just a metallic watch in gold or brushed steel finish (leather straps optional sold separately), and would be a mini iPhone connected to your idevice. Show you time, weather, calendar, reminders, sender and subject of emails, etc all via push notification and vibration alert (can be disabled). Apps for watch has endless possibilities as well.

    Would be nice.
    A iWatch really doesn't sound that appealing, sorry.

  14. #12
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jj2345 View Post
    He bashes apple every chance he gets lol
    Woz is jealous that he sold out and Steve jobs stuck with it and made a lot of cash .

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to tridley68 For This Useful Post:

    Jj2345 (02-21-2013)

  16. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Cause they aren't, check out the new Htc One and Sony xperia Z! I'm pissed I own a 64gb iPhone 5! Lol The only thing holding me back is all my computers are macs. Lol

  17. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    A iWatch really doesn't sound that appealing, sorry.
    No need to apologize. I'm just stating my opinion.

  18. #15
    ----NewD 2.0---- NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,823
    Thanks
    4,197
    Thanked 8,989 Times in 4,509 Posts

    The coolness to be lost isn't as much in the area of innovation - but more in the area of 'ubiquity' (being so widespread). No kid wants the same phone/computer as their Mom & Dad. Grandparents have iPhones now. Kids (Apple's mainstay) are increasingly drawn to Android simple because it's different than the 'older generation'.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  19. #16
    Green Apple Lysias55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    An iWatch does sound awesome. It'd expand multitasking with the iPhone or any other iDevice. I'm sure they'd implement solar charging and or wireless charging with one of these. Sometimes I don't feel my phone vibrate but a vibration feature on this would make total sense, it'd be near impossible to miss anything. It'd be nice to have certain sensors in it also, just for mini apps that could be ran off of it. A sensor to read pulse come to mind or a pedometer.

    I disagree, I was drawn to an iPhone bc I could ditch my regular android and iPod for an iPhone, which replaced both. None of the new android phones impress me, they're built cheap and run an inferior vulnerable OS.
    Last edited by Lysias55; 02-20-2013 at 06:28 PM.

  20. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Apple was never cool. It was always for geeks and nerds and those that didn't want a cool PC and didn't like gaming.

  21. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    A iWatch really doesn't sound that appealing, sorry.
    Apple should revolutionize the game console. Call it the iCon.

  22. #19
    iPhoneaholic aidanharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 63 Times in 32 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by emckissack View Post
    Apple should revolutionize the game console. Call it the iCon.
    Then Surenix will sue and say it sound too similar to Ayecon :P

  23. #20
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts

    Apple stockholders... sell sell sell!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts