+ Reply
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Gates Not Pleased with Microsoft's Rate of Innovation

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In a recent and arare interview with the Microsoft Chairman, Bill Gates tells "CBS This Morning" co-host Charlie Rose that Microsoft can and should be doing more to innovate in
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,612
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Gates Not Pleased with Microsoft's Rate of Innovation


    In a recent and arare interview with the Microsoft Chairman, Bill Gates tells "CBS This Morning" co-host Charlie Rose that Microsoft can and should be doing more to innovate in mobile today.

    When asked point-blank about about Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's performance, Gates said the following:

    "Well, he and I are two of the most self-critical people -- you can imagine. And here were a lot of amazing things that Steve's leadership got done with the company in the last year. Windows 8 is key to the future, the Surface computer. Bing, people are seeing as a better search product, Xbox. Is it enough?... No, he and I are not satisfied that in terms of, you know, breakthrough things, that we're doing everything possible."

    Gates poignantly revealed his thoughts that Microsoft failed to make critical early headway in mobile, a product genre where Apple went on to capture a practically insurmountable lead. "We didn't miss cell phones, but the way that we went about it didn't allow us to get the leadership. So it's clearly a mistake," Gates admits.

    To watch the insightful interview with Gates on CBS This Morning, click here.

    Source: CBS

  2. #2
    Theme Creator Jahooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1,419
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

    It seems reasonable that he should kick himself for letting Apple take the lead. But, in Microsoft's defense, no one foresaw Apple's plans for domination.

    Apple had been working on the iPhone in secret for years, which put them years ahead of the competition.

    It's not so much Microsoft doing poorly as it is Apple just knocking it out of the park.

  3. #3
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,382
    Thanks
    3,634
    Thanked 8,439 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Microsoft was always a 'following' company. Their only true innovation was DOS. And for that achievement they got to dominate the business world software usage for the last 30 years. Apple will never surpass them EVER in the business software world.

    But in every other arena Microsoft has been a 'borrower' of ideas - not an innovator - and then they just excel at mass producing. Windows was a direct steal from Apple.

    And now Gates is wondering what the deal is.

    I respect Gates. Amazing businessman and laudable giver to the less fortunate. But there are few great innovators. Jobs innovated. Gates mass-produced. And Microsoft is simply missing in action in the mobile phone arena.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  4. #4
    Green Apple Adrian97c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    It seems reasonable that he should kick himself for letting Apple take the lead. But, in Microsoft's defense, no one foresaw Apple's plans for domination.

    Apple had been working on the iPhone in secret for years, which put them years ahead of the competition.

    It's not so much Microsoft doing poorly as it is Apple just knocking it out of the park.
    B4 iPhone, there was iPod & MS tried catching up w/ Zune, but failed.

  5. #5
    Previously known as weedsmart
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    It seems reasonable that he should kick himself for letting Apple take the lead. But, in Microsoft's defense, no one foresaw Apple's plans for domination.

    Apple had been working on the iPhone in secret for years, which put them years ahead of the competition.

    It's not so much Microsoft doing poorly as it is Apple just knocking it out of the park.
    dont forget safari, i read here recently they had to mask the user agent to prevent leakage of the upcomming software

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts

    Default correction
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
    B4 iPhone, there was iPod & MS tried catching up w/ Zune, but failed.
    I think Ipod was first when it came to MP3 devices. Zune came into the picture much later. and i think Ipod was always in the lead (ofcourse sony's walkman was there before all these)

  7. #7
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,382
    Thanks
    3,634
    Thanked 8,439 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    (ofcourse sony's walkman was there before all these)
    But only as cassette/CD players - not an MP3 player.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    But only as cassette/CD players - not an MP3 player.
    No, that's not correct: one of the first portable MP3 devices was the Network Walkman. Granted it was a POS that used lame ATRAC hard to use encoding (I think that was what they called it)- but they were made right after the Rio hit stores.

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,224
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Gates is a good guy, I respect him. He's done amazing things in the world of computers. It's nice that he can admit that Microsoft dropped the ball when it comes to smartphones. I really wish they would step up their game and get to a level where they can really compete with iOS & Android.

  10. #10
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,382
    Thanks
    3,634
    Thanked 8,439 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    No, that's not correct: one of the first portable MP3 devices was the Network Walkman. Granted it was a POS that used lame ATRAC hard to use encoding (I think that was what they called it)- but they were made right after the Rio hit stores.
    Like I said.. NOT an "os-driven" MP3 player. Less than 10,000 people, I'll bet, ever owned those. The history books will always attribute the "invention" of the portable MP3 player, eventually with GUI, to Apple.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 02-19-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  11. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts

    Wow, I love how deluded he is. Windows 8's UI is horrible and no one wants it. Bing has always sucked. No one wants to buy their "flagship" technology because everyone wants things that work.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raptor2213 For This Useful Post:

    *T* (02-19-2013)

  13. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    Wow, I love how deluded he is. Windows 8's UI is horrible and no one wants it. Bing has always sucked. No one wants to buy their "flagship" technology because everyone wants things that work.
    what a self cave man verdict " Windows 8's UI is horrible and no one wants it "
    Did you really meant NOONE noone on the planet

  14. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,541
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 170 Times in 122 Posts

    Windows 8 is NOT the future. Live tiles..no no! I look at it this way, when my friends that actually use Windows 8 opt for the classic view or experience over live tiles, that would be a fail in my eyes. I know the test subjects in this case are limited but i even asked coworkers and they advise they don't like it. When asked why you dont like an iPhone most say its too small. Not that they don't like the OS big difference for obvious reasons.

  15. #14
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 30 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Windows 8 is NOT the future. Live tiles..no no! I look at it this way, when my friends that actually use Windows 8 opt for the classic view or experience over live tiles, that would be a fail in my eyes. I know the test subjects in this case are limited but i even asked coworkers and they advise they don't like it. When asked why you dont like an iPhone most say its too small. Not that they don't like the OS big difference for obvious reasons.
    Well, the tiles are for touch screen devices. I've played around on a touch screen device once and rather enjoyed the tiles. The desktop version was left in place for... Well... Desktops. So using the desktop feature on a desktop hardly counts as a fail in my opinion.

    Jahooba, while no one foresaw the plans Apple had for the mobile industry, the fact of the matter is Gates is disappointed that Microsoft hadn't done it. It, quite obviously, was an achievable goal, and Microsoft made no headway in achieving it until it was much too late.

  16. #15
    iPhoneaholic Zombian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 171 Times in 120 Posts

    Personally I'm a huge fan of the windows 8 tile ui. It's refreshing in a world of small static icons. I bought a surface pro 4 days ago and I love it. I still like my iPhone but after 4 years of jailbreaking to get what I wanted out of it I've become pretty sick of the closed ecosystem. Windows 8 is perfect for me because I can have the elegance of a touch interface but when I really need to get work done I can in a more traditional way (although there are plenty of apps that let me do it in a more metro ui way) as far as I'm concerned windows 8 is home run and exactly what's I've been looking for in an OS.

  17. #16
    Green Apple aorowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I don't understand why so much crap is given to Microsoft about Windows 8.

    At the very least, you can say that they're trying something different. A lot of people give Apple crap about iOS do to the fact that the UI remains the same virtually after five years. So I have to ask, "which is it?" It seems like you're screwed if you do, and your screwed if you don't. Apple gets crap because iOS is practically the same and stale, and Microsoft gets crap because Windows 8 is different and people are not used to it.

    Yes, it seems like a big change, but at least they're trying. And even still, they've included the old interface so it's not like people are boxed into using the modern UI

  18. #17
    iPhoneaholic Zombian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 171 Times in 120 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by aorowe View Post
    I don't understand why so much crap is given to Microsoft about Windows 8.

    At the very least, you can say that they're trying something different. A lot of people give Apple crap about iOS do to the fact that the UI remains the same virtually after five years. So I have to ask, "which is it?" It seems like you're screwed if you do, and your screwed if you don't. Apple gets crap because iOS is practically the same and stale, and Microsoft gets crap because Windows 8 is different and people are not used to it.

    Yes, it seems like a big change, but at least they're trying. And even still, they've included the old interface so it's not like people are boxed into using the modern UI
    Couldn't agree more. I treat the desktop and start menu more like "modes" one is more of a media consumption mode an the other more like a work mode. I have no trouble switching between the two and for the most part I can things done fast than ever before on my new windows 8 machine

  19. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    It seems reasonable that he should kick himself for letting Apple take the lead. But, in Microsoft's defense, no one foresaw Apple's plans for domination.

    Apple had been working on the iPhone in secret for years, which put them years ahead of the competition.

    It's not so much Microsoft doing poorly as it is Apple just knocking it out of the park.
    Not exactly true, you could say that about any product no one develops things in public or in a few years, pretty much all products take 5-7 years

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts