+ Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Judge Orders Apple to Respond to Greenlight Capital Lawsuit by Wednesday

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,725
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 117 Times in 103 Posts

    Default Judge Orders Apple to Respond to Greenlight Capital Lawsuit by Wednesday


    New York District Court Judge Richard Sullivan accelerated Apple’s case with Greenlight Capital, agreeing that the issue would be resolved as soon as possible given the affect an outcome could have on the company’s upcoming shareholder meeting.

    For those of you who don’t know, Apple is being sued by Greenlight Capital in a bid to have the company mete out a portion of its vast $137 billion cash hoard with investors. According to Apple, the request had the support of Greenlight’s legal counsel, reports Reuters. Behind the suit is Greenlight’s David Einhorn, one of Apple’s most prominent shareholders, who is suing to block a proxy proposal that could see the issuance of preferred stock eliminated from the company’s character.

    The Cupertino California company’s so-called “Proposal 2” argues that a higher level of governance can be achieved by stripping the board’s ability to issue preferred stock, instead leaving the matter to the purview of shareholders. Einhorn countered, saying that Apple should return more of its $137 billion in cash to investors in the form of perpetual preferred shares that carry attractive dividends. He asks Apple to task over how the proposal is bundled together with two others in the company’s proxy statement, which is headed for debate at the annual shareholder meeting on February 27.

    As far as its part, Apple said it is holding “active discussions” on what to do with the cash hoard and denies that the passage of Proposal 2 would hinder the issuance a preferred stock. Apple is scheduled to respond in the Greenlight suit by Wednesday, with Greenlight slated to file subsequent documents by Friday. Both parties have been called to appear in front of Judge Sullivan for arguments on February 19th. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

    Source: Reuters

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    I'm confused as to what apple is doing that's illegal? Im no legal expert, but why are they being sued for not returning as much money to investors as they would like? Is this just a greedy investor who wants more money or is apple doing something illegal? If someone could fill me in here, it would be greatly appreciated as Im very confused

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts

    This is really disturbing to me that the government is stepping in to accelerate this nonsense. How dare anyone tell a company or person what they MUST do with their money?

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, United States
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I'm confused as to what apple is doing that's illegal? Im no legal expert, but why are they being sued for not returning as much money to investors as they would like? Is this just a greedy investor who wants more money or is apple doing something illegal? If someone could fill me in here, it would be greatly appreciated as Im very confused
    It's a derivative suit, in which, the real owners - shareholders - allege that the board has breached their fiduciary duty and loyalty to shareholders, and statutorily mandated based on jurisdiction are favorable to the corporation. It's complicated, and super boring. Apple will likely persuade the Court to dismiss on several basic yet effect motions. Key to remember the investors are the owners, and the board of directors is beholden, to an extent, that management maintain good faith dealing. I'm a lawyer, but last I dealt with a case in corporation were hypothetical in law school. Slight chance, I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

    Quote Originally Posted by frail1 View Post
    This is really disturbing to me that the government is stepping in to accelerate this nonsense. How dare anyone tell a company or person what they MUST do with their money?
    You want the government, in this situation. Without it, the economy would collapse without regulation - e.g. Enron. I'm not a fan of goverment interference, but here, it is necessary.
    Last edited by Lawdoctor; 02-12-2013 at 04:06 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lawdoctor For This Useful Post:

    fanboyfanboy (02-12-2013)

  6. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdoctor View Post
    It's a derivative suit, in which, the real owners - shareholders - allege that the board has breached their fiduciary duty and loyalty to shareholders, and statutorily mandated based on jurisdiction are favorable to the corporation. It's complicated, and super boring. Apple will likely persuade the Court to dismiss on several basic yet effect motions. Key to remember the investors are the owners, and the board of directors is beholden, to an extent, that management maintain good faith dealing. I'm a lawyer, but last I dealt with a case in corporation were hypothetical in law school. Slight chance, I'm wrong, but I doubt it.


    .
    Oh okay well thank you for explains that

  7. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, United States
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Default dry and as exciting as getting out of bed after 37 beers from the night before
    As I said, Corporate and businesses entities law are super boring. However, at least my grammatical mistakes had some humorous value.

  8. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts

    Just remember anytime someone has a lot of money others will do what they can to get a share of it. It's called greed.

  9. #8
    *T*
    *T* is offline
    Grumpy *T*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turn around slowly...
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts

    *effect

  10. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, United States
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So, I looked into this a bit more. It's a proxy war - the shareholder are split, and so the opposing factions are soliciting proxies (votes) to gain decision making control. It's actually interesting. About greed, corporation exist for the sole purpose of generating profitability. If the BOD fails, shareholders vote them out. So yea, it is about greed, but not in such a negative manner that I think you imply. Adam Smith's invisble hand drives capitalism. Would you invest your money into something that did not return a benefit or gain? I hope not, risk exposure is to make money. I'm a mac, iEverything freak, but I'm also a shareholder, I expect a return on my investment - when sales are off the charts. Greed is good, to a point. Money is not important, it's about winning and power. Once you have both, the money follows. And I'm a liberal!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts