+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Rumored to be Experimenting with the Possibility of an iWatch

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Rumored to be Experimenting with the Possibility of an iWatch

According to a report from The New York Times, Apple may possibly be experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass in its research and developmental labs. Two people who were familiar with the project reportedly told Nick Bilton (of NYT) that the watch would operate on Apple’s iOS platform and stand apart from its competitors based on the research it is doing on how glass can curve around the human body.

The report goes on to question several things such as whether or not said device will come equipped with Siri, tie into Maps, serve as a wireless payment device, etc. At the same time, it offers a recap on many of Apple’s moves over the years, placing it in a prime position to lead charge for wearable computing devices. Rumors on an Apple-produced smartwatch have surfaced repeatedly over the last few years but the past three months have seen additional speculation on the topic.

The creator of Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines, Bruce Tognazzini, predicted on his blog that Apple would release an iWatch. Calling it “The iWatch,” Tognazzini said the device would be filling a “gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem… [facilitating and coordinating] not only the activities of all the other computers and devices we use, but a wide array of devices to come.” He did give a caveat to his prediction, saying that it was not based on insider information but rather a “solid understanding of Apple, its products, the problem, and the opportunity.”

Source: AskTog, The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

He did give a caveat to his prediction, saying that it was not based on insider information but rather a “solid understanding of Apple, its products, the problem, and the opportunity.”
    Eh this is the most base-less rumor of apple rumors that i've seen in a while.

Thanks

I agree. But the watch does "look" pretty Kool though. Why would you need a watch to access maps etc thts what a phone would be beneficial for. Plus to even do things like that, there would need to be a pretty good power source as a Battery for that sucker. Next thing you know we'd be charging up our watches just so we can wear them when we go out. Smh.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This would so work for me.

Siri in the car
    iPod controls in the car
    Read SMS & Email without touching my phone.

I might never have to touch my phone again.

And it will look the bees knees as well.
    And to think I nearly brought a Pebble watch.

Can't wait

Jolly

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To have a watch that looks cool and at the same time , doing all the basic functions of phone looks like a promising product .

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What I find most interesting is that most research shows that most recent generations simply don't wear watches anymore. You would think this would have come up in Apple's research somewhere along the way, wouldn't you?

I'd buy one for the novelty of it, probably, but I doubt it would replace my nice watches on a day to day basis.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    No doubt they're experimenting with it. I'd love to see their R&D dept. I'm sure there are a lot of things that would ooh and ahh, and other "things that make you go hmmm..."

Thanks

This is a miss for me. I don't wear watches, my phone has the time on it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Can we jailbreak it yet?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Even if they do make one. It will never look like the picture above.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to micaiah12 For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (02-11-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Great idea, get apples extremely fragile products and put them in worse conditions!

I'm sure if they did it would be durable, I just hope they would have something like always on proximity there. That would be great

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRogger View Post
    This would so work for me.

Siri in the car
    iPod controls in the car
    Read SMS & Email without touching my phone.

I might never have to touch my phone again.

And it will look the bees knees as well.
    And to think I nearly brought a Pebble watch.

Can't wait

Jolly
    You are so correct this would be a groovy addition to my IOS collection can not wait thanks Apple.

You are so totaly correct this would be a great addition to my IOS collection thanks Apple.

Thanks

Ipad 2 was out for how long before they moved on to a better one, and left any development for past devices up to independent developers such as the jailbreak community... Then they get all the money to leave you stranded to seek illegitimate means to make your hardware work the way you want it

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't want a "iwatch" iwant a 55 inch itv!!! Lol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I've always thought a watch connected to your smartphone would be really cool. So I hope that they're actually working on something like that right now. I thought about getting a Pebble but I might wait for a later version to come out or see if Apple actually does anything like it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There's something sorta like this out. It's called Pebble. I'm thinking about getting one

*didn't see the above comment*

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dphillipds View Post
    I agree. But the watch does "look" pretty Kool though. Why would you need a watch to access maps etc thts what a phone would be beneficial for. Plus to even do things like that, there would need to be a pretty good power source as a Battery for that sucker. Next thing you know we'd be charging up our watches just so we can wear them when we go out. Smh.
    Knowing apple, the watch would draw energy from the electricity a human body produces.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What looks more stupid than someone taking photos with an iPad? Taking photos with an iWatch.

Has the world become so lazy that they don't want to even take their phone out of the pocket to check texts or email?

Apple will really have to step up their game and really invest a lot in R&D and testing for an iWatch to take off. They've been struggling to get clocks working on their devices for years so to have a watch that can't handle daylights savings time or new years day would be a let down. If only we had been able to develop a device that can accurately tell time and automatically adjust to the changes we impose on our calendar. Dammit, if only the Mayans were still around!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks more like iBracelet. Sign me up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If Apple does make a watch, they better include some amazing advertising to get people to buy it. Most people I see use their phones for a clock rather than a watch.