Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple on Verge of Replacing Microsoft as Personal Computing Industry Leader

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple on Verge of Replacing Microsoft as Personal Computing Industry Leader

In their rare joint appearance at All Things Digital 5, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates discussed their contributions to the technology industry - an industry that has evolved dramatically in the few short years that have passed since their joint appearance on that stage.

Changing technologies and consumer preferences have, indeed, sparked a global transition in personal computing from the desktop screen to the mobile screen. It's a reality that has benefited some companies - like Apple - while penalizing others - like Microsoft.

As a result of these seismic shifts in personal computing, Apple is poised to - and will soon - replace Microsoft in a category that it largely created. Apple will surpass Windows (on a worldwide basis) with regard to annual personal computing units sold.

"In Q4," says analyst Benedict Evans, "Apple sold 75 million iOS devices and 4.1 million Macs. Most estimates of total PC (including Mac) sales in the same period were around 90 million. In other words, Apple is now (in peak quarters) selling as many computing devices as Windows. This trend is not going to change."

When you do the math, Apple's new quarterly sales averages have already accelerated to a level that is presently nearing 90 percent of the quarterly sales logged by Windows, the longtime gold standard of mainstream personal computing. But within a very short period of time, Apple's numbers will leapfrog those of Microsoft's.

"Almost as interesting as this milestone is how, well, boring and predictable it feels," Evans observes. "That war was over a long time ago."

Although... I don't think anyone thought it was "over" when Jobs and Gates last shared the stage together.

Source: Benedict Evans

Definitely the best software + hardware for regular consumers (i realize there is way better hardware but for the majority of basic users this is as good of hardware as needed)

too bad its extremely over priced..

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Definitely the best software + hardware for regular consumers (i realize there is way better hardware but for the majority of basic users this is as good of hardware as needed)

I cracked the screens of 3 dell laptops simply by closing them at the upper edge, had to buy replacements off of eBay. If anyone uses a computer as a much as I do and sometimes that is 15 +hours a day the difference in quality become apparent very quickly. I can no longer stand to use the PC's I do have and they are only used by employees. It's a shame Steve Jobs was Apple. Curious what Apples market share will be in 5 years though.

I agree, it's great and it's way over priced. Of course I just bought a 13" rMBP and figured it was about a $450 premium price for it. Not 100% sold on it yet but I have 14 days to decide.

I'll stick with pc's. they're much more effective for the tasks I use a computer for(pretty much everything that isn't making dub step, they got the lead there)

Too bad this is a junk comparison. iOS devices are phones and tablets. Sure you can consider iPads as basic computers for generic tasks and occasionally some more productive uses...

But Microsoft still has around the 95% mark when it comes to desktop OSs connecting to the Internet, compared to OSXs 2.5%. In terms of units shipped, this probably doesn't include sales of their OSs for upgrades, or the huge numbers of hand built PCs...

Apples dominance is in the mobile device market, which android has recently overtaken when you take all manufactures. But as for PCs, Windows is far too far ahead.

So obviously if you take the entire apple lineup and compare it to Units shipped of windows, and profits gained, the comparison seems legitimately close... Oh and ignore all of the previous sales figures for the past 3 decades.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Klutz For This Useful Post:

Tony9592 (02-08-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I use both, and heavily. I get my brothers hand-me-down macs, cos I can't afford new macs. I even have a fully working original iMac.

But with PCs I can buy the newest MBs and best video cards for a tenth of the price of ant Mac system.

If I ever had the cash to buy a new Mac, I'd buy a new car instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutz View Post
    Too bad this is a junk comparison. iOS devices are phones and tablets. Sure you can consider iPads as basic computers for generic tasks and occasionally some more productive uses...
    I was thinking the same thing. It's kinda a misleading title.

I bet Texas Instruments is also on the verge of passing Microsoft in sales of personal computing devices as well considering almost every high school student I have ever known owned a TI calculator of some sort.

agreed. since i've switched 2 years ago i haven't looked back. for everyday use (including work) nothing beats OS X and a macbook imo. as for mac pro's, i'd rather just build one

This is an extremely bogus article. Title suggest Apple replacing MS as a PC leader... THEN ONLY COUNT ACTUAL PC'S! NOT iOS devices. Guess the article should also include all the MS Product lines, such as phones, software, servers, websites, etc. Seems fair given they are related to computers just as iOS devices are related.
    Really?

The reality is that iOS devices ARE personal computers at this point. Are they absolutely equal to the desktop? Obviously not. But more and more people are relying on tablets and phones for day to day use where they would have used desktops before. The shift is pretty obvious in these sales numbers. The real question that I have, is that Microsoft sells very little hardware so why are we even comparing the two companies? Microsoft is primarily a software company whereas Apple does both, but is focused on hardware. When they talk about Microsoft hardware sales, are they really talking about hardware, made by other companies, that uses Microsoft Windows as the OS? Seems like an odd comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    This is an extremely bogus article. Title suggest Apple replacing MS as a PC leader... THEN ONLY COUNT ACTUAL PC'S! NOT iOS devices. Guess the article should also include all the MS Product lines, such as phones, software, servers, websites, etc. Seems fair given they are related to computers just as iOS devices are related.
    I agree, the title of this article is very misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    The reality is that iOS devices ARE personal computers at this point. Are they absolutely equal to the desktop? Obviously not. But more and more people are relying on tablets and phones for day to day use where they would have used desktops before. The shift is pretty obvious in these sales numbers. The real question that I have, is that Microsoft sells very little hardware so why are we even comparing the two companies? Microsoft is primarily a software company whereas Apple does both, but is focused on hardware. When they talk about Microsoft hardware sales, are they really talking about hardware, made by other companies, that uses Microsoft Windows as the OS? Seems like an odd comparison.
    I was thinking the same thing Microsoft is a software company and always has been.

As to affordability Macs are not cheap but in comparison PC's are crap. I didn't think this 3 years ago when I "switched" to Macs.

-photo.png

Huge difference in actually using a Mac compared to a PC

Quote Originally Posted by ttthomas View Post
    I was thinking the same thing Microsoft is a software company and always has been.

As to affordability Macs are not cheap but in comparison PC's are crap. I didn't think this 3 years ago when I "switched" to Macs.

-photo.png

Huge difference in actually using a Mac compared to a PC
    Wait...you can locate a Macbook Pro with the Find my iPhone app? Does it have to be a recent one? My MBP is over 6 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Wait...you can locate a Macbook Pro with the Find my iPhone app? Does it have to be a recent one? My MBP is over 6 years old.
    I believe this was an update with Mac OS X 10.7.5 so yes Find my iPhone on iPhone and also locates all devices using www.icloud.com

There was a news story it was recently used to recover a stolen MacBookPro, so it is a great feature when the laptop pops up on WiFi.
    Last edited by ttthomas; 02-08-2013 at 01:14 PM.

43:40

Bill talking about the current Surface... Freakin' awesome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It depends on which "PC" you are comparing to an apple. It's because an actual PC, I mean the hardware, is made all around the world by hundreds of different makers. There used to be a company: Packard-Bell, that made the worst PCs I've ever seen in my life. That company made millions of pcs- and you can find them all in the junkyard all over the world now. But you will not find any new Packard-Bell computers, the company is gone.

Many companies made motherboards and ram and hard drives, and these are the guts of any Mac or PC computer now. Apple gets parts for their computers from vendors just like everyone else: but then they hide the identity of the chipset, to make it harder for people to make OSx86 machines.

I've seen my fill of crappy computer makers: emachines, peoplepc, etc. but I always make my own. And I always use ASUS motherboards, eVga video cards, and WD or Seagate hard drives- and so does apple. They just remove all identification from every chip from their motherboards (I guess this also prevents reverse engineering)- actually I have a program I can run on a Mac that identifies exactly what is in it. So physically hiding the chips won't work anymore.

(Er- I mean so does apple use common parts, I didn't mean specifically "ASUS" or anyone else)
    Last edited by XweAponX; 02-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.